Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Opinions on 5th Wheels with Island Kitchens
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Opinions on 5th Wheels with Island Kitchens

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The island we have in our Big Country is fantastic! Very large ends to put/prep food and when sink covers are used a great buffet area. Not too much counter space besides stove. Sofa is on end like most floorpans and when it's deployed, we can still put a twin size air mattress between island and table. Access to fridge is ok via 1 side of doors (French door) w/ slides in. As others have said, it boils down to what you like/fits your needs best.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2halfs wrote:

Hi,

My husband and I have been a Travel Trailer owner since 2004.

We are looking into the possibility of moving to a 5th Wheel.

As for floor plans I am most interested in the floor plan with an island kitchen. Although our plans do not include a large in length for a 5th wheel, we are looking at the ones that are 34ft and below.

Another feature that is appealing is the outdoor kitchen.

Some other important function features are the ability to access the bathroom and refrigerator while slide outs are in.

Looking at these floor plans would anyone like to share their pros and cons? What do you suggest we keep in mind as we look?

Manufacture of Grand Design keeps popping up when I do searches...Any suggestions on other manufactures?

We are planning on purchasing a used trailer, a 2018 and above in age. Ha,ha we say that now but you know how it is when you go to look [emoticon]

Any advice is appreciated....obviously owning a TT since 2004 we have the basic of Rving down, but moving into a 5th Wheel is a new concept for us.

Thank you,
Denise

Denise, my #1 pick when I was shopping had an optional island that was counter and storage =only=; no sink. =My= plan was to get one =without= the island, then get a rolling cart that we could move as-needed to gain the same counter and storage space. I would have added small recessed d-rings in the floor to strap it down while traveling. It was the KZ Durango 1500 D284RLT which, sadly, they stopped making in 2018. I never was able to find one to lay eyes on but we lucked into a D277RLT which has a =peninsula= kitchen. Wife loves it, so that ended that search. :-) Well, that and a price that we simply couldn't pass up. Having the peninsula =does= mean that we have to move the street slide out a bit to access the fridge, but we also have a remote so can do so from the truck, if needed. The counter and storage space are, however, wonderful. Bathroom is fully accessible at all time. Both of these FWs are under 32' long.

KZ has 2 models in their "Half Ton" line that are < 34' that have islands. They are the D263RLT and the D283RLT. The 263 is listed as dealer stock only, so may be hard to find.

KZ is decent quality. IMO, GD is probably a bit better, overall, but I have no experience with GD.

Lyle

* This post was edited 07/20/21 12:40pm by laknox *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Coachmen Brookstone 305RL has a center island. We both love it. Our old 5th kitchen was L shaped. We like the island more.

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Opinions on 5th Wheels with Island Kitchens
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.