Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Westinghouse i4500 Generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Westinghouse i4500 Generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon, I looked at the fault history and to be honest nothing looks out of the ordinary.  Just the point when it switches from inverting to pass through from the generator that it just doesn't play well with eack other at times.

Here is how mine looked
H1 D 6 11:18
Inverting 12.8 -336a (this amp # is the locked rotor peaking from the A/C unit, I know the inverting at time of this happening would be around 10-15a normal minimum daily draw.)
BTS:77F
TFMER:122F
FETS:104F

There was a couple of older faults with amp being 110 upto 200a but from the same issue of inverting to generator pass through not playing well with each other. Since raising the load share incoming AC to 16a instead of 15a no more faults.

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,800+ cycles.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1- thanks again for all of your help in understanding this (and 3 tons too). I spent more time on the phone again yesterday with another Magnum tech. He didn’t seem surprised, and pushed that the problem is I’m not using a generator that’s 2x the kW of the inverter!?!

It’s clear to me that the Magnum algorithm to accept incoming power integrity is not tolerant of the momentary slump that generators have under high current impulses. It also sounds like this design flaw is not limited to just Magnum. I’m a little surprised that they don’t seem to care, and don’t expect that people buy generators snd hybrid inverters assuming they play together better and load support is as simple as addition.

With your help I’ve purchased a larger genny, and turned my Magnum to optimize it’s performance in this respect. I’ll be adding soft starts and then expect I can improve the odds of running AC on the genny (through the Magnum; pass thru, or load support) to where it’s no longer an issue.

This forum is great, thanks again.

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With advice like “two times yada, yada” Sounds to me like the phone answering guy at the Maagnum is passing the buck…

My ProSine inverter is 2000w (4500 surge for 5 sec), and my genny is 2200w, but either on their own (including genny in Eco mode) will start and run an 11kbtu Coleman Mach1 p.s.without a hitch…

Note, the problem I WAS having only occurred when genny was in Eco mode while passing thru the smart inverter (whether inverter was in standby mode or off)…Regardless of programming the inverter was not happy…Thus the added ATS solution that ends all nuances and provides even greater operating latitude - the simultaneous use of air conditioner, microwave, etc…..

Either way (regardless how one might look at it…), the generator is on-line and assigned the same tasking (or LESS if operable in Eco), but with the added ATS, neutered of unnecessary proprietary software glitches…

At least from an experienced process point of view, that’s how I see it…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

By playing around with Magnum control settings I can nurse the genny (with Magnum boost support) to start one AC once in a while (Magnum VAC dropout=60v, AC input limit=20A; manually start AC fan on low early; etc). Still have to futz with it a dozen times or so to get success. When running the Westinghouse shows it’s providing 2.3k power (AC, fan, converter).

Set the Magnum up to 37 amps input.

My Yamaha Iseb starts my single air conditioner reliably after it has warmed up and will do so in eco mode. The range of wattage starts at 1200 watts and goes up to 1900 watts. I have the Magnum set at 27 amps to allow the boost from the generator to work.

MNron I always see the red over load light on the Magnum remote--and that happened both before and after the microaire was added. In hind sight I would not buy the microaire.

I found out well after I purchased the Magnum that they don't recommend running an air conditioner from it. If my inverter/charger fails again (it caught on fire), I will move to Victron or Outback.

* This post was last edited 10/10/21 08:38am by pianotuna *   View edit history

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Westinghouse i4500 Generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.