cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is a Damon Challenger a decent motorhome?

aswagerty14
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to purchase an older motorhome (yes I know the possibility for issues but that is what we want to do and will get an inspection before buying anything) and came across a 2004 Damon Challenger in really good condition for around the same price as the late 90's Rexhall Aerbus we are looking at. It only has 36k miles and the rex has 77k. But it's just barely more expensive. Does that mean that these aren't as reliable or aren't as well built as other brands? What would you personally do as far as making a decision?
6 REPLIES 6

Jabrad_s_Papa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Daybreak. That is the model below the Challenger. It has had some problems. Most of which I see on this forum several times. It has gotten me and my family to every place we wanted to go. I'm not sure about the 04 but mine had a recall many years ago to move the hydraulic hose's away from the engine block. Check that they are tied back. I would think if there hasn't been a problem with them by now you would be safe. All my components work great. AC, Fridge, slides, water heater, pump etc.
As everyone says, get it checked out.
Good luck.
Gary

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My addition says its 17 years old--not 27. I always buy used and ONLY top end units. Currently have my 2nd Monaco DP. Still a entry level thats been taken care of will get the job done

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You continue to get hung up on brand. And everyone keeps telling you that brand doesn't matter on MH's 16-22 years old. Condition does. The most important question you should be asking yourself is what floorplan you want. Then look for units with that floorplan in your price range and THEN start comparing.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ultra low mileage (just over a thousand a year) isnโ€™t necessarily good for a twenty-seven year old coach or any motor vehicle. Get a good house and chassis inspection and review the maintenance records.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Damon was bought out by Thor quite some time ago. As stated above, it was an entry level coach. There's nothing wrong with that, but you should just learn as much about the coach as you can in terms of how it was constructed and what components were used.

If considering a MH in that age bracket, the more important factors are condition and service records along with determining what price items may need replacement or repair. If everything is original, you have to expect that there will be some expenses. Then you have to decide whether it's still a good purchase or would you be better off buying something newer or that has had more renovations.

There are no easy answers. You have to learn as much as you can about every aspect of a motorhome, from the chassis, engine/transmission on up to how the "house" is constructed and equipped. And, prior to purchase, getting the rig inspected by a professional is definitely something to consider unless you have a lot of expertise on RVS.

Good luck in your search!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Those were/are entry level motor homes. So not alot of options. And no luxury features. Condition depends on how the previous owner kept it. Oil changes? (Engine and generator, how many hours on generator?). How old are the tires? How are the brakes? Has he trans fluid been changed? Brake fluid? Coolant?
Any signs of roof leaks? Has the roof been inspected and sealed periodically? Is everything working?

Whatโ€™s the asking price?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!