Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Speed limits
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Speed limits

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How fast is safe is very subjective. And many people will claim they can drive a speed safely but in reality they don't or can't.

IMO, speed limits are established at a safe speed for the majority of people in a majority of situations.

As individuals, we have a choice: drive at or just under the speed limit; drive faster and risk a ticket; drive slower and risk a ticket.

Personally, I have no problem driving 55 or 65 or 75 as is posted. I don't feel a need to go 10+ miles over the limit just because I can.

I see more people having to slow down and getting frustrated because traffic isn't doing "their preferred speed" than I see people driving "too slow".

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

If you don't believe speed kills just look at the pileups with 40-50 cars. Those who are driving the limit are not the problem the speeder is the problem.

Study after study after study has shown speed differential is the greatest cause of highway accidents. Those huge pileups are generally due to atmospheric conditions when people are driving way too fast for the conditions, irrespective of speed limit. When the feds dropped their silly 55 mph mandate, the number of highway accidents plummeted.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know if I would drive 55 mph my trucks fuel economy would be in the upper 20 mpg's.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

marpel

notapplicable

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a former ,30 year, cop. who worked a load of traffic, both highway and local, during my career, I'll offer a couple comments.

Having investigated hundreds and hundreds of MVA's, I have never investigated one where a speed differential was the cause. For speed related incidents, it was always as a result of someone driving way too fast for traffic/road/weather/etc conditions. And it was the fault of that driver (barring someone else doing something stupid like cutting him/her off etc) and not that fault of speed differential - in other words the other person(s) who was/were driving the limit, or slower than the speeder, was not at fault.

Facetiously, two vehicles can travel at well over the speed limit, one immediately behind the other, and can be safe. What becomes unsafe is when something unexpected occurs (object in road, someone else hits the brakes, etc etc etc). That's why the powers to be set a speed limit, for those times when one or more drivers encounter something they do not expect.

And, there are a whole boatload of people out there who think they are a better driver than they really are, that they can travel faster than they should, can read their text messages.... and they usually find out the truth when, again, something they did not foresee, occurs.

While I personally think some limits in some sections are too low, I also realize they are set with the lowest common denominator in mind, those who should not be driving faster, due to age, experience and all those other contributors.

I could go on, but....

Marv

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just take today's Nascar race... Within the first couple of green flag laps, it started to rain and within 2 laps, drivers noticed it was getting slick and then the leader went into the corner and spun out due to the road conditions... He then blamed it on the fact that Nascar did not throw a yellow flag soon enough....

Well.... Shouldn't the "yellow flag" have been when you felt the slick conditions on the previous lap?? Only a couple of drives ended up spinning into the wall, but there was over 35 other drivers that didn't spin?

Dunno... I live in the NW and 70 mph is the speed limit. No but me pays for my gas, so when I go over 70, my mpg's drop significantly... I'm not poor, but getting less than 9 mpg's towing on a good day is not fun when a fill up is over $110 for only around 25 gallons of gas...

Anyway, drive however you wish.. No one controls your vehicle but you, so if you crash into something by running up on them too fast, you were not paying attention enough for your situation...

I know everyone has their opinions and their driving habits and all..

Just be safe out there, as the road is not 'yours' and you are sharing it with other goofs, so remember that too. [emoticon]

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

IMHO, you have that bass ackward. If a cop is seen in traffic running over the limit, he better explain what is more important he is doing or head for unemployment line.

So you want to fire a cop for speeding?

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

IMHO, you have that bass ackward. If a cop is seen in traffic running over the limit, he better explain what is more important he is doing or head for unemployment line.

If one cannot obey or enforce the laws he needs to go.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Unless he's responding to an emergency, he's no different than everyone else out there.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marpel wrote:

As a former ,30 year, cop. who worked a load of traffic, both highway and local, during my career, I'll offer a couple comments.

Having investigated hundreds and hundreds of MVA's, I have never investigated one where a speed differential was the cause. For speed related incidents, it was always as a result of someone driving way too fast for traffic/road/weather/etc conditions. And it was the fault of that driver (barring someone else doing something stupid like cutting him/her off etc) and not that fault of speed differential - in other words the other person(s) who was/were driving the limit, or slower than the speeder, was not at fault.

Facetiously, two vehicles can travel at well over the speed limit, one immediately behind the other, and can be safe. What becomes unsafe is when something unexpected occurs (object in road, someone else hits the brakes, etc etc etc). That's why the powers to be set a speed limit, for those times when one or more drivers encounter something they do not expect.

And, there are a whole boatload of people out there who think they are a better driver than they really are, that they can travel faster than they should, can read their text messages.... and they usually find out the truth when, again, something they did not foresee, occurs.

While I personally think some limits in some sections are too low, I also realize they are set with the lowest common denominator in mind, those who should not be driving faster, due to age, experience and all those other contributors.

I could go on, but....

Marv
Seems to me that speed differential is at fault for a lot of fatalities. If the car is moving at 60 mph and the bridge abutment isn't moving at all, there's a speed differential of 60 mph when the car hits the bridge abutment. [emoticon]

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always like the media release that says, “Speed was a factor...”

I sez to the guy, I sez, “Well, yes accidents where the vehicle is standing still are generally less severe...”

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Speed limits
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.