Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Heated hose
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Heated hose

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW is talking about camping somewhere ( location currently undetermined) over Christmas. What is the best heated water hose to get. Take into consideration that we are not full timers just a last getaway over the holidays.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use the hose when needed. Don't leave it hooked up. And, if it's that cold, you want to make sure the water supply is on at your destination.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a piece of heat tape for frozen pipes. Run it along with my hose inside foam pipe insulation. Get long enough so you can also wrap the hydrant.
Many parks will ask you to fill your tanks and disconnect city water if they expect a freeze.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving any hose hooked up when freezing temperatures are expected isn’t a wise idea. Fill the tank and use the pump.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the hose to fill the onboard tanks. No need for a heated hose.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I use the hose to fill the onboard tanks. No need for a heated hose.

Agree a 25ft heated hose is about $75 - would not even use it that often

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
405 Campgrounds,91K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1961 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As with the others, there's no need for a heated hose if you fill the onboard water tank and then disconnect the hose. A heated hose is more useful/necessary if full-timing in freezing locales where it would otherwise mean a great many connections and disconnections. (The water connection must likewise be heated up to the spigot, something that is not generally done for places that don't cater to winter seasonal camping. It's a lot easier and less expensive to install frost-free hydrants where the actual valve is below the frost line and actuated by a long pushrod from the hose connection above ground--and such frost-free hydrants will freeze in due time if left turned on and filled with water that isn't flowing.)

You may be limited in where you can camp based on how winter capable your RV is. If the tanks and piping are not heated (either with separate heaters or by being enclosed somewhere within the heated, insulated envelope of the RV), you won't be able to use the water system anyplace where it's below freezing more than a relatively brief overnight dip in temperatures when the daily temperatures are above freezing. It's also generally true that open campgrounds in wintery areas are none too common.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with above regarding using onboard water, refilled as needed. Take care to make sure pump is in an area that is heated by the furnace, or place a small heater or incandescent light bulb in the area.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two lower cost suggestions
ONE: For reasons other than cold I took to filling the on board tank and using on board water... The tank is insulated and heated by the RV's furnace on my Class A. Worked very well and solved the "other issue" (over chlorination of city water) also made half my hookups easier as after my wife died I could go 3-5 weeks on a single 80 gallon tank so, moving every two weeks, I only hooked up every other campsite.

Page 2: I took a standard white "potable water" hose, A string of incandescent rope lights. Some patterned Duct Tape (They have lots of different patterns) and taped the rope lights to the hose.. Feed them power through a thermostatic outlet adapter (Designed for Things like stock tank heaters or eves heaters) and when it got down below 35 The hose lights up.. Very pretty. and the heat from those old fashion incandescent lamps warmed the hose.

Won't work with LEDs though. I think I still have that hose if you want it and can come get. NOTE it is not for sale.. IT's for "Get between me and the trash can".

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ferretgrandpa

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with pitch:

" I use a piece of heat tape for frozen pipes. Run it along with my hose inside foam pipe insulation. Get long enough so you can also wrap the hydrant."

I used that method for 2 KCMO winters (07 and 08), worked well with temps to Zero with no problems.

Tom

Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Heated hose
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.