Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Roadside Assistance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadside Assistance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
rhodedog98

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi I have been reading this forum for awhile. I bought a TC this year 2021 NL it sits on a 2012 GMC dually. In life I always did the hotel thing made the wife happy but a change was needed so I got a TC. Their are a lot of expanses here and their I am working them out. My question is does everyone purchased Roadside Assistance. Is this item good or not. Thanks

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have AAA with RV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

[email protected]

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have roadside as part of our USAA policy and I also have a progressive policy on my TC so it is covered both on and off the truck. I have never used roadside and I have had it with several different providers so I can't comment on how good it is. Most I would probably need it for is a flat tire and I can change that myself. If the motor blows up I'll have bigger issues than assistance. :-)

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

choosing insurance is always big headache and homework.
When there are specific RV insurance, most of the time they offer "their choice" of appropriate shop to tow you to.
That not always is a good thing.
Lot of truck insurance will offer towing for as low as 10 bucks a year, but learn about their limitation.
One of the reason I bought new truck for cross-country retirement was the warranty and roadside assistance included.
I recall 1 of our youtube spammers having the unpleasant experience and posting video about it.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Good Sam and used it once for a flat on the 5th wheel. It was a cluster. I posted about it on here if you want to look it up. I have GEICO on the trailer and they have a roadside service for $2 a month. I took that too.
Keep your expectations low.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

We have roadside as part of our USAA policy and I also have a progressive policy on my TC so it is covered both on and off the truck. I have never used roadside and I have had it with several different providers so I can't comment on how good it is. Most I would probably need it for is a flat tire and I can change that myself. If the motor blows up I'll have bigger issues than assistance. :-)

If your motor blows up or just quits running is when you really need to have your rig towed or put on a flatbed trailer, ESPECIALLY if you are 100 miles from the nearest RV repair facility that can fix your problems!!!!
I had my rear springs on my trailer break on 2 different occasions. The trailer could not be towed and Good Sam sent a big flat bed trailer. The nearest RV repair facility was over 150 miles on both occasions. I did not pay for either tow[emoticon] I asked the tow truck driver what the tow would have cost me without Road Side Assistance, $1250 on both occassions[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 07/19/21 03:24pm by MarkTwain *

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhodedog98 wrote:

Hi I have been reading this forum for awhile. I bought a TC this year 2021 NL it sits on a 2012 GMC dually. In life I always did the hotel thing made the wife happy but a change was needed so I got a TC. Their are a lot of expanses here and their I am working them out. My question is does everyone purchased Roadside Assistance. Is this item good or not. Thanks

If you live in a fantasy dream world where you will never have any problems,breakdowns or need to be towed , then you don't need to purchase Roadside Assistance!!!!!

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have it 10 years and never use it and wish you didn't have it
You have one inside dual blow out in the middle of no where with it and 10 years are all of a sudden worth it.
I have it and have used it and it made the cost not matter

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I have AAA with RV.

AAA does not offer good roadside assistance for RVs. Check the details of your plan very carefully and then compare it with other RS assistance plans. i.e. How many miles will they tow before they start charging you per mile extra, will they tow both your truck and trailer at the same time, where will they tow you to get RV or Trucks repaired???? etc. etc

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

AAA does not offer good roadside assistance for RVs.

What’s your beef with it? Btw, it also covers my vehicles including motorcycles. I also get AAA discounts at places like hotels and car rentals, and of course, maps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roadside Assistance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.