cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Missouri to Colorado Springs

jwh1975
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone! Brand new to the forum and wanted to get some advice on travelling to Colorado here in a couple of weeks. Really just looking to ease my mind about towing in Colorado since I never have.

We have a 2020 F250 SCSB with the 6.2L gasser and 6 speed transmission, and will be towing a 2021 Coachmen Catalina Trail Blazer 30THS weighing in around 7,800 lbs, with 1,342 lbs of tongue weight with the garage empty. I have installed an Air Lift 5,000 system, and will also be using a WD hitch. Max tow capacity for the truck is 12,500 lbs, and payload is 3,276 lbs. We will be travelling from mid-MO to Colorado Springs, and then to Estes Park to finish out our trip before coming back home. Is there anything I should be aware of travelling to either of those destinations? Basically looking for what to expect, and possibly the best routes to take to get between those two places. I've got a few years towing experience in mostly Missouri, but the Ozarks are just big hills compared to the Rockies.
2020 Ford F-250 SD SCSB 4x4
2021 Coachmen Catalina Trail Blazer 30THS
10 REPLIES 10

jwh1975
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. My wife did get our RMNP pass requested, and we have our entrance time set. We also had our campgrounds reserved a couple of months ago, so good there as well 🙂

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you plan on visiting RMNP or Mt Evans you need to go on line and get a reservation for a timed entrance pass.
We just returned from the areas you mentioned. Good luck finding campsites. Make reservations as soon as possible.
Camped in every state

jwh1975
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the advice everyone! I should have added that I have been to Colorado several times, I've just never towed anything out there 🙂 Had in-laws out there during my first marriage, but haven't been back much since my first wife and I divorced. Taking my second wife and her daughter out so they can see why I love the state so much. A lot of the reason we upgraded our truck and travel trailer (had a '13 F150 SC 5.0 and 18 foot bunk house) was to go on camping trips farther away from Missouri. Very much looking forward to getting out there again. We had our campgrounds reserved a couple of months ago, and already have tickets for the cog ride up to Pike's Peak as well, so we are good there. I just needed to know what to expect as far as steep grades and narrow passes that could cause difficulty. It's one thing to drive in those areas, and a completely different thing to TOW in those areas. Glad there is such a wealth of knowledge on here to help ease my mind!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Columbia, MO to Colorado Springs you have a straight shot on I-70 across Kansas to where it intersects with US 24 to take that highway into Colorado Springs. You will be lucky to find a hill along this route

I take issue with this statement. The low point in Co is higher than high point in Mo. The long gradual pulls can make a punk out of cooling system, and driver not even see he is straining.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
From Columbia, MO to Colorado Springs you have a straight shot on I-70 across Kansas to where it intersects with US 24 to take that highway into Colorado Springs. You will be lucky to find a hill along this route.

At this stage, you would be extremely lucky to find a site in Cheyenne Mountain State Park, but it is certainly worth a try. You need to call this very minute to see if there has been a cancellation as the park remains fully reserved through the Summer.

I would take I-25 straight through Denver. Maybe we have been lucky but we have never had a significant slowdown going North or South, of course avoiding rush hour traffic times.

And I would go on up to Loveland and take US 34 into Estes Park, a nice drive in itself.

Commercial RV parks in Estes Park are also likely to be near full. We have always stayed in Spruce Lake, but there are several choices. I think I would try for Mary's Lake at this stage. Again, you need to call immediately to find what is available in Estes Park. You are not likely to find a site within the National Park, but it will not hurt to call to see if a site you will fit in may have come open.

I have been over all these roads several times (except for the eastern section of I-70) and if you take your time in the canyon I don't see any part of the route that should cause you any difficult driving.

Good Luck and welcome to Colorado. (We just returned from Silveton and the Million Dollar Highway.)

EDIT TO SAY: I was typing while Thom was posting, but I was thinking of him. He has helped me several times as I planned routes in the area. I defer to his judgement (but I seem to concur with it anyway!:)

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to avoid traffic (and there will be traffic in Boulder), stay on I-25 northbound to the CO 66 exit for Longmont. Take CO 66 west to Lyons and pick up US 36 there in Lyons. US 36 is not a difficult drive between Lyons and Estes Park but you will be climbing. There are periodic climb lanes on that route.

You could also continue further north to the Loveland exit for US 34 and take US 34 west up to Estes Park through the Big Thompson Canyon. Not a lot of steep, but a lot of curves and a few climb lanes as well. "The Narrows" at the entrance to the canyon is impressive and you'll need to take your time; you'll know you're out when you reach the Colorado Cherry store about 7 miles up.

Hopefully you already have a reservation for a place to stay in Estes Park. Finding an opening without will be a challenge. Most of the commercial campgrounds are likely booked completely and inside RMNP some of the campground loops have been restricted once again this season, making finding a place to stay very difficult.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
Head to Boulder and take 36 into Estes. No problems.

Your big issue is getting through I-25 to Denver - slow, traffic, construction

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Highly suggest manually selecting a lower gear (i.e., 3rd or 4th gear) and keeping rpm's between 3.5k and 4.5k (peak torque) when you encounter steeper grades with your 6.2 gasser. Your engine and tranny will thank you.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
In that part of Colorado you're in the foothills. Shouldn't be a problem. Time depends on the route. Fastest interstate. If you have the time, 50/56 across southern KS & return 36 across northern KS.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado Springs sits at the foot of the Rockies, so stay in the Cheyenne Mountain State Park, just south of the city, and do your sightseeing in your truck.
For Estes, since we've never been there, yet, I suggest you take I 25 north thru Denver and then up to Boulder, and approach Estes from the east because the park is not real deep into the mountains (but is definitely in the mountains), but I do not have a suggestion for an rv park or state park in that location. There are lots of others on the forum who can give you info on that.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.