cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM 6.6 gas

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
Who's towing what with the new 6.6 gas from GM. How does it do in mountains, how much weight are you pulling, what kind of mileage towing and empty. You all have the real answers, I thank you for your input.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
I had a 2020 Silverado 3500 regular cab dually with the 6.6 gas. I had it for more than a year. I never pulled in mountains, but I did pull a hill from a stop at the bottom with over 15k pounds without a problem. Fuel economy was as stated earlier.

I never felt that the 6 sp transmission impacted performance for me. I have also driven a 2021 3500 Crew with the Duramax. And yes, it did better.

Not sure what I will order after I tow my travel trailer next week to Iowa with my van. I expect that the comfort and trailering capabilities of the new trucks will convince me to place the order.

Weird news coming from the guy whoโ€™s been pimpin vans as awesome tow vehiclesโ€ฆ.

Ever hear of having more than one vehicle? If the General provides a dually for me to drive, I am going to drive it. If they provide a 3500 Crew, I am going to drive it. Sticker was above $83k on the 3500 Crew. For families, I will always be pimpin a used rental van as a trailer towing value. I purchased less than 2 yrs old and 30k miles for $22k. It is a third of the cost of a pickup.

For somebody who is getting to be an old geezer, and experienced the comfort of a Denali with a Duramax and all the cameras, and can save 20% off a new truck while the public is paying MSRP, there is a potential for a new truck. Additionally, it allows me to help my daughter haul straw and hay.

Yup, I understand the concept. Have a few different vehiculars myself. But youโ€™re the one who said the comfort and towing ability make convince you to buy one (presumably in place of your short bus)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

specta
Explorer
Explorer

If I were to buy a new truck today to haul my camper this is what I would buy.
2021 GMC 3500 regular cab 4-wd 6.6 gas with 3.73 gears.
I'll never own a diesel, Ram, extended cab or a crew cab.

My current truck does a great job hauling my 4000 lb TC.
I'd buy a new GM truck in a heart beat.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
I had a 2020 Silverado 3500 regular cab dually with the 6.6 gas. I had it for more than a year. I never pulled in mountains, but I did pull a hill from a stop at the bottom with over 15k pounds without a problem. Fuel economy was as stated earlier.

I never felt that the 6 sp transmission impacted performance for me. I have also driven a 2021 3500 Crew with the Duramax. And yes, it did better.

Not sure what I will order after I tow my travel trailer next week to Iowa with my van. I expect that the comfort and trailering capabilities of the new trucks will convince me to place the order.

Weird news coming from the guy whoโ€™s been pimpin vans as awesome tow vehiclesโ€ฆ.

Ever hear of having more than one vehicle? If the General provides a dually for me to drive, I am going to drive it. If they provide a 3500 Crew, I am going to drive it. Sticker was above $83k on the 3500 Crew. For families, I will always be pimpin a used rental van as a trailer towing value. I purchased less than 2 yrs old and 30k miles for $22k. It is a third of the cost of a pickup.

For somebody who is getting to be an old geezer, and experienced the comfort of a Denali with a Duramax and all the cameras, and can save 20% off a new truck while the public is paying MSRP, there is a potential for a new truck. Additionally, it allows me to help my daughter haul straw and hay.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Can get 9mpg towing a 6klb high profile boat (has a tower with a bunch of speakers and stuff on it) at 75mph with a new 5.3 10 speed. Which is 1mpg more than same boat 5.3 6 speed.
For comparison.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gmckenzie wrote:
I had a bit of bad luck with my truck (2015 Sierra, 1/2 ton) so I had to rent a truck to pull my trailer home.

Ended up with a Chevy 3500 gas and was happy to try it out. 200kms to where the trailer was, averaged 15.8 l/100km, so a bit under 15 mpg through BC terrain. Not great, but not terrible. My truck (5.3L) would do a couple better.

Towing home, ~8,000 lbs, I must say I was underwhelmed. 30 l/100km (~8mpg) and struggled up some of the hills. Figure I gained maybe 5 km/h going up the hills. I expected better.

I'm going to see if I can rent a Ford 7.3 for comparison. Tough to find right now, but I hope to take a short trip, with the worst hill, with the same setup.

You hit the nail on the head buddy!
8 mpg is actually decent. You must drive slow though.
I can pull 8 mpg on a 6.0 6 speed gm hd, new 5.3 10 speed or a 6.2 Ford 6 speed with less trailer than youโ€™re pulling, like clockwork.
Never run a new 6.6 gasser yet, but seat of the pants, a 5.0 coyote f150, 5.3 6 or 10 speed Chevy will both tow as well from a power standpoint than a 6.0 4.10 6 speed HD gasser.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curly2001 wrote:
The six speed trans is why I bought a 2019 and not the newer Chevy with the 6.6 gas and the six speed. Also, you can't get a 4:10 rear with that engine/trans in the new trucks. I will keep my 6.0 gasser with the 4:10 diffs until the new trans is offered.
Curly

Exactly why I have my 17. The 6.6 was not a big enough difference to get into payments. When the offer 4.10s and 8 or 10 speed that is when I will do it.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
I had a bit of bad luck with my truck (2015 Sierra, 1/2 ton) so I had to rent a truck to pull my trailer home.

Ended up with a Chevy 3500 gas and was happy to try it out. 200kms to where the trailer was, averaged 15.8 l/100km, so a bit under 15 mpg through BC terrain. Not great, but not terrible. My truck (5.3L) would do a couple better.

Towing home, ~8,000 lbs, I must say I was underwhelmed. 30 l/100km (~8mpg) and struggled up some of the hills. Figure I gained maybe 5 km/h going up the hills. I expected better.

I'm going to see if I can rent a Ford 7.3 for comparison. Tough to find right now, but I hope to take a short trip, with the worst hill, with the same setup.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Youch! They donโ€™t even offer a 4.10 behind the gasser?
Thatโ€™s pathetic and enough reason to not buy one for real towing if they have effectively not improved the performance of the truck IMO.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
The six speed trans is why I bought a 2019 and not the newer Chevy with the 6.6 gas and the six speed. Also, you can't get a 4:10 rear with that engine/trans in the new trucks. I will keep my 6.0 gasser with the 4:10 diffs until the new trans is offered.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
LITEPHIL wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
I would wait untill they fix the bugs in the ford. Guy at work bought one and it was in the shop for like 2 months, he just got it back. One sensor after another kept failing. Maybe bad luck , but who knows.

I think we're talking about the GM 6.6 here

Well I did post on that first, maybe you read the comment above?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I driven one bobtail and it was a nice truck. Bout what youโ€™d expect.
But if youโ€™ve been truckin for 38 years, I believe you already know the answer.
Your LML will still blow the doors off it, towing. And it is the least powerful worst trans of the big 3 gassers.
And the Chevys are ugleeee!

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
I would wait untill they fix the bugs in the ford. Guy at work bought one and it was in the shop for like 2 months, he just got it back. One sensor after another kept failing. Maybe bad luck , but who knows.

I think we're talking about the GM 6.6 here
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley