cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.8 3-valve towing FW

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing a lot of research on Ford gas HD trucks these past few weeks and here are my observations. I've been poring over towing guides and brochures, and it seems like the 3-valve v-10s were a real bright spot (2005-2010), and then the HD gas engine market died when diesels started really making serious power in the 2010s. Then, the 7.3 came out when lots of people didn't know if they needed 1000 ft. lbs. to pull a 10K camper. On paper, the 6.2 that held the fort down in the 2010s doesn't look much worse than the 6.8 it replaced, but I wonder if it really pulled as well or was torque deficient. What I'm getting at here is that I'd like to know what people's real-world impressions are towing a 12-13K FW with a 3-valve 6.8. Seems like they only came SRW. I'm not cheap, but I'm not made of money either. Do I need a $55K new truck with the 7.3? No, I mean, I COULD get one, and I know it would do everything I need and then some. There is always the voice in the back of my head that says to pick up a $15-$20K 3-valve 6.8, stick $5K into it with tune and gears and whatnot, and make more power than a stock 7.3. Now, I know the transmission is a HUGE deciding factor. Also, a 15-ish year old truck compared to new. I feel like it's kind of like the hot rod mentality. There were guys who just bought a new Mustang or Camaro, but then there were the gearheads who bought old stuff and built it to what they wanted. I know it's not a perfect analogy, but if the 7.3 came stock with 550 hp and 600+ ft. lbs., I don't know that it would be a decision. 10 years between the 3-valve and 7.3, and the output just doesn't seem to justify the massive premium in price. Am I writing off the 6.2 throughout the 2010s too easily? Towing guides still give the old 6.8 better FW capacity than the 6.2 throughout.
17 REPLIES 17

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hemling wrote:
That's really interesting - I always wondered how equal the 6.8 would be had it gotten the 6 speed transmission. I suppose a 6.2 with the 6 speed would feel just as strong as the v-10 with the 4 or 5 speed trans. Or for that matter a base model 6.2 F350 that's new enough to get the 10 speed. Although if I'm looking that new there isn't that much of a price differential between going for the 7.3 I suppose.

Donโ€™t know about the SDโ€™s, but in the F53 the V-10 for the 6 speed. My buddy says his performs great. He gets about .5mpg better than me so that puts it around 7.2 give or take.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
That's really interesting - I always wondered how equal the 6.8 would be had it gotten the 6 speed transmission. I suppose a 6.2 with the 6 speed would feel just as strong as the v-10 with the 4 or 5 speed trans. Or for that matter a base model 6.2 F350 that's new enough to get the 10 speed. Although if I'm looking that new there isn't that much of a price differential between going for the 7.3 I suppose.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Devo the Dog - nice truck. Wish we had the foresight in 1999 to buy a new V10 1 ton dually. We probably would still have it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on where your primarily planning on towing.

I tow a 7000lb Travel Trailer and on flat ground I spin around 1800rpm going down the highway, when I pull a grade going 60-65mph it will drop to about 3200rpm which is where it makes it's peak torque.

I live in Alaska so the most I go from is sea level to about 2k', nothing crazy but it does fine. My last travel trailer was around 9,000lb GVWR and it towed pretty much the same.

Now, with that I only put about 5,000 miles on my truck each year. So getting 7.5-9 mpg towing doesn't bug me at all, and 12mpg unloaded. My use it sits and does very short miles when not towing. If your looking to rack up some miles, and will be towing in serious mountains then I would consider a diesel. Just need to figure out your needs.

Concerning the 6.2 gas engine the telephone utility I work for uses them in F350/F450's. From the guys driving them in the 6.2 they say with the 4.30 rear it pulls about the same as the 6.8 w/ 4.10 rear. So if you find a clean 6.2 w/ 4.30 I wouldn't not look at it.

Some day I would like to snag a new 7.3 Gas with a 4.30 rear, but I'm like you I could afford one, but with my V10 being able to pull all the grades up here @ posted speed limit I have no reason to.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devo the dog wrote:
I have a 2005 F350 V10 with 4:30 gears. Works great. It works so well that when I ordered a 2019 fiat 3500 HO, my wife asked me to sell our Jaguar XJR and keep the F350. I'm glad I kept it because I have a truck to drive when the 3500 is at the dumbass dealers for repairs, recalls, or both.

We recently bought a new Jaguar SUV for my wife to drive. But, she still drives the F350 almost everyday.

I'm trading in the Peugeot 3500 and am ordering a 2022 F350 with the 7.3. But, we're going to keep the 2005 Ford. It'll be the truck that gets muddy and dirty going to the dump.

To be honest, if you're patient and don't mind going up hills slower, the 6.8 is fine. Even though you can spin the engine at a higher RPM, I never have. Getting up the hill a minutes sooner doesn't make sense when you're driving a few hundred miles. Realistically, the 7.3 will be a bit better but still not the same as 1000+ ft-lbs of torque.

It all comes down to money. A new truck is a lot nicer than a 15 year old truck in great shape. I wouldn't get anything older than a 2005 because you'll get the 3V and a better transmission.

That's one good lookin truck right there... I would keep it!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My previous tow vehicle was a 2003 Excursion with 4.30 gearing. On a trip through Colorado and AZ, we were always able to hold 50+mph. The engine did scream, but from what I could find, it was designed to make its horsepower at high RPM's. I did hit a CAT scale as I was curious about my combined weight. 18,990 was the reading. I'm guessing a truck would come in a few hundred pounds lighter than the X. My X was only a 2 valve with a four-speed transmission.

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 F350 V10 with 4:30 gears. Works great. It works so well that when I ordered a 2019 fiat 3500 HO, my wife asked me to sell our Jaguar XJR and keep the F350. I'm glad I kept it because I have a truck to drive when the 3500 is at the dumbass dealers for repairs, recalls, or both.

We recently bought a new Jaguar SUV for my wife to drive. But, she still drives the F350 almost everyday.

I'm trading in the Peugeot 3500 and am ordering a 2022 F350 with the 7.3. But, we're going to keep the 2005 Ford. It'll be the truck that gets muddy and dirty going to the dump.

To be honest, if you're patient and don't mind going up hills slower, the 6.8 is fine. Even though you can spin the engine at a higher RPM, I never have. Getting up the hill a minutes sooner doesn't make sense when you're driving a few hundred miles. Realistically, the 7.3 will be a bit better but still not the same as 1000+ ft-lbs of torque.

It all comes down to money. A new truck is a lot nicer than a 15 year old truck in great shape. I wouldn't get anything older than a 2005 because you'll get the 3V and a better transmission.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But bottom line, if youโ€™re in the market for a hauler, the newest V10 pickup youโ€™ll get is 10+ years old. Awesome if you find a cream puff. And the 5 speed torq shift is solid.
But anything other than that and youโ€™re looking at an old truck. How much do you want to spend on a vehicle vs time working on it?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
Both engines would probably serve you well if you don't have too high of expectations on performance. A lot of V10s went into motorhomes and seem to have served well. You don't hear much about the 6.2 but you almost never hear about it breaking down either. A six speed transmission will help quite a bit.

I towed quite a bit with the old 460 when it was the most powerful engine available at 230hp. No speed demon with a load by today's standards but I always got where I was going. I later had a 2 valve V10 that pulled a little better. Either the 3 valve V10 or the 6.2 would offer 20% more power than the 2 valve V10.

This. Buddy has an old moho with a 2V V10 and 4 speed auto.
Of course itโ€™s got 4.88s or something in back, but tows a 7klb boat behind it 70mph no problem. Bout 40mph up 4-5% grades though.
About 24klb gross combined and 6 mpg.
He carries a spark plug kit and has needed it once so farโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 Class A with the V-10 and 5 speed performs well
For as heavy as it is. Loaded for a trip towing our 13 Explorer Iโ€™m at 24,500 approx GCW. My only complaint was the lack of power, And mileage. I fixed those 2 with a tune from 5star. This got rid of the too intrusive bribe by wire which would pull throttle back when you needed it the most. And also changed the shift strategy. It now performs remarkably well for its weight, and I went from a stock average last year of 5.2 to a tuned average of 5.7 mpg.

If your truck has the 6 speed auto it will perform even better.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both engines would probably serve you well if you don't have too high of expectations on performance. A lot of V10s went into motorhomes and seem to have served well. You don't hear much about the 6.2 but you almost never hear about it breaking down either. A six speed transmission will help quite a bit.

I towed quite a bit with the old 460 when it was the most powerful engine available at 230hp. No speed demon with a load by today's standards but I always got where I was going. I later had a 2 valve V10 that pulled a little better. Either the 3 valve V10 or the 6.2 would offer 20% more power than the 2 valve V10.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we first purchased our FW in 2010, we towed for a year with our '99 F250 6.8L V10 4.3 rear axle. It was a short bed and SRW. The towing power was good, but lacked power. What may have been the problem was the short bed and SRW. We added air bags, but those kept failing. The FW ( 13K fully loaded ) was too much for it. It towed, slowly, but steadily, up hill, but was sometimes a challenge descending those same grades. All that was our reason for upgrading to a diesel and we never looked back.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have a 2008 with 215k miles and were towing a 12k 5th wheel for a while.

The engine was fine but it would downshift at every little overpass.

We switched trailers for unrelated reasons and are towing a travel trailer around 7.5k and it's much better.

With the newer 10speed transmissions, I suspect it will be a much better driving experience...of course for $10k vs $60k, I can live with the older truck that get the job done.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While the 6.8 was considered a good engine for towing, the transmission mated to it was lacking, even compared to the 6.2 with 6-speed. If you don't want to spend a lot, a 2011, or newer 6.2 would be a better choice. IMO, a 12-13K FW is going to be at the upper limit, even with 4.30 gearing, but will do the job.

Jerry