cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250 Short Bed Adding Diesel Auxiliary Tank

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in adding an Auxiliary Tank to my short bed F250 and wondering what the largest tank you've installed without running into turning issues with the 5th wheel.
Thanks
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.
11 REPLIES 11

Jerry_and_Glori
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 60 gal.RDS tank in my short bed Ram. The tank sets below the bed rails but the fuel fill is about 1 inch above the rails. I also have that big foot print Anderson Alum.hitch and everything works great.
2015 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4
2010 Everest 345S

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 35 gal that fits right at bed height in my F 350 short bed. I just strap it in the front, and can easily remove it. I have a PR superglide, and the tank and pump clear fine. Hauled it all the way to Alaska and back and only needed it when I got lazy.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
thomas201 wrote:
I put a 41 gallon tank in my 2012 short bed F250. The filler neck is just above the rails. I have over a foot between the 5th wheel and the tank, just in case I ride the pin over the 5th wheel. My 5er is light on the pin and I am still about 300 pounds under on weight. My tank is offset all the way to the passenger side, to haul a 2 person kayak when not towing.

Now I can drive all day, and only have to fuel once. Cured my range worries.

I can drive all day, too, but, at a certain age, you just gotta stop and pee. ๐Ÿ™‚ Might was well top up at the same time. I just plan my trips so that I don't have to be in a hurry. I also carry a 5 gal fuel can for just-in-case, but there are times that I actually =plan= on using it to stretch me out a bit.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 41 gallon tank in my 2012 short bed F250. The filler neck is just above the rails. I have over a foot between the 5th wheel and the tank, just in case I ride the pin over the 5th wheel. My 5er is light on the pin and I am still about 300 pounds under on weight. My tank is offset all the way to the passenger side, to haul a 2 person kayak when not towing.

Now I can drive all day, and only have to fuel once. Cured my range worries.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a 36 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in my long bed Ram, but it sits below the bed rails, and is only about 6 inches long, so it certainly wouldn't affect the turning radius of a short bed.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
There are also OEM tank replacements available that are under bed. On a short bed, you can go from about 25 gallons to ~46 gallons, IIRC. Again, you do have to watch payload weights.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
chris3403 wrote:
I'm interested in adding an Auxiliary Tank to my short bed F250 and wondering what the largest tank you've installed without running into turning issues with the 5th wheel.
Thanks

Call Transfer Flow Company in Chico , Calif. for all your questions. They have installed 62 gal. auxiliary diesel tanks in 3 different Dodge trucks. Never had a problem. they can install the tanks in 1 day.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
50 gal, but I did have to be careful on tight turns. A short wheelbase means the hitch is closer to the back of the cab, where the tank, presumably, will be.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
With a F250 you might want to look at rear axle weights before adding an aux tank. Unless you have a very light 5er, the pin weight already might be getting near RAWR. A transfer tank would add a few hundred more lbsโ€ฆ
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with adding additional fuel is weight and the weight limits of the truck. A 3/4 ton truck has a limited load capacity and the added fuel. Diesel fuel weighs about 7.2 to 7.5 LB/Gal. 40 gallons of diesel will add 300# plus the weight of the tank to the truck and reduce the payload capacity by the same amount.

Most 3/4 ton trucks with 5th wheels are nearing their rated load capacities without added fuel. Make sure that you will still be within your trucks ratings with the added weight.

Adding a tank with added capacity will not effect turning at all if you get a tank that sets below the bed rails.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Ram 2500 CTD crewcab short bed. I put in a Better Built transfer tank that I bought on Amazon from Northern Tool. I bought there because I wanted a black one. You can get a white one from Tractor Supply. It is 36 gallons and is 42 1/4 wide x 17" high x 11" deep. I use a 6' siphon hose 3/4 ID. It works great . You don't need a transfer pump. It takes little room and fits under my cover. I have it secured with 2 heavy duty ratchet straps, holds it great. That way I can take it out if I need the room to carry anything.
toolmaker