Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

LowRyter wrote:

If you're within weight limits, it should work. Be prepared to get 5 mpg when towing. Keep it under 65.

My daughter gets about 11mpg towing her 3 horse gooseneck with living quarters behind her 2013 Ecoboost at 70mph. You can figure about 85% of what a diesel would give under the same situation.

A 3 horse trailer with living quarters could have a pin weight of under 2000 lbs or over 4000 lbs - not enough information here to think an F150 is OK towing a 5th wheel. I have a 3 horse no living quarters and the pin weight is OK for a 1/2 ton, but for stability, emergency braking, etc, the 3/4 ton is much better. I have looked at living quarters, but my 3/4 ton diesel is not enough truck... that is living quarters with water, waste, etc. Something you can actually use. Some living quarters are not much more than a bed and some cabinets.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP - there is some good advice on this tread. The ones you need to pay attention to go regardless of trailer. Get a trailer that is not too much trailer for your truck. If a fully loaded (full tank) trailer is under your weight limits, then go for it. There are plenty of small 5th wheels that can be towed by a 1/2 ton truck. Not all the 1/2 ton towable models meet the actual requirements, but some do. Just get your actual truck specs and start shopping - remember, brochures and websites under size everything or don't show the whole picture. You need to look at real world weights and weight limits.

LITEPHIL

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I would end up with a 3/4 ton. I don't want to be near my limits but most the towing in Az is extreme. I went from 3/4 ton down to a new 1/2 ton and am towing 6,000 lbs and it works well but I'm ordering a 3/4 ton next year. It's so much more relaxing with the bigger truck and I'm not talking about power wise. Full floating rear axles are so much safer too.

2019 Chevy RST Silverado 1500
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2002 Sandpiper T22
04 FXDL Harley

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP has left the building

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1/2 ton towing a 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.