cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why put the fridge in the slide out?

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
The dinette is usually there as well. I seems to me the fridge and at least two people in the dinette puts a lot of weight on that slide mechanism. Thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I parted out camper and the slide tracks had bend on them, while still working without a problem. Evidently PO had to overload it at some point, but the tracks are close to the floor and when bend- the gear would make marks on wooden floor.
I never had fridge with side vent, but when I tested my 20 yo fridges in triple digit weather to perform rather well, I read on Sprinter forum that fridge with side vents are constant headaches.
Even adding fans behind the fridge is not making it work right.
Coming to my test, my dual door Dometic froze big water bottle with 103F outside down to 0F.
It is refrigerator part that stays a bit warmer than desired, but freezing water bottles overnight and putting them in fridge for the day solves the issue.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It' primarily driven by the designers desired layout. The weight isn't a problem. As mentioned, flexing utilities isn't great and venting is less effective (if it's a DC fridge this partially mitigates as it doesn't need an exterior vent).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Also agree with NRALIFR. I will not consider any trailer that has more than just an outlet in the slide. Anything like gas and water and drains that flex will have many more issues than fixed lines. Period.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
keep it a little warmer in the sun?

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with NRALIFR. No flex for gas, drain, hot and cold and electric. The less movement on these the better.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I would think, WAG, because they are the deepest items, placing on slide gives more room with the least slide travel. As too weight, I'd agree, the mech doesn't really care. Only other thing Ive seen on full slides had like a hide-a-bed/couch, they certainly are not light.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

riltri
Explorer
Explorer
Weight is not an issue. But, putting it in the slide-out prevents the refrig from being vented properly....out the roof. Instead, it is vented out the side which can lead to overheating and cause the refrig to shut down/not work properly. If this does happen to you, installing fans in the exterior vent to draw the heat out works well and only cost $150 - $250.
Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, the weight is not a problem. There are TCโ€™s with all kinds of heavy cr@p in the slide, and they seem to be able to handle the weight just fine.

From a preferred design and technical viewpoint though, I would prefer there be no electric, gas or plumbing in the slide at all. Which means I donโ€™t want the fridge, sinks, commode or shower in a TC slide out. I just donโ€™t, and I realize that puts me in a very small minority because there are very few (maybe even no) TCโ€™s with a slide out that donโ€™t have at least one of those things in the slide.

The last time I seriously looked at new TCโ€™s I couldnโ€™t find a single one with a slide that I would buy. Thatโ€™s the biggest reason why I continue to hang on to my 20 year old camper.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
No idea. Mine isn't.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member