cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhuast Gas sensor on F350 6.7

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone had one of these fail? We did half way between Rawlings and Rock Springs and it threw the truck into semi-limp mode. Error was 'low fuel flow' Found that stopping at a rest stop for 15 minutes cooled it down enough to get back to speed. I80 between Laramie and Rock Springs seems to climb almost continuously, geez.

I was having visions of Fuel System work being done at major bucks but the problem seems to be a $51 sensor from NAPA plus a bottom tap to clean the threads.

The error messages seem to be designed to confuse rather than inform.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
6 REPLIES 6

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
As said this was a common problem with 11s and 12s. About 13 or 14 Ford came out with an improved B version. I paid Ford to change out all 4 to the B version at the same time as the free reprogram. Kept the A sensors for spares. Never had a failure.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Egt sensors are a bear. Something g about the extreme heat cooks them in tight a lot of times.
I was going to remove a sensor recently on our 2016 truck, on the exhaust manifold, when I was doing new exhaust gaskets.
First try with a good line wrench and it just started twisting the fittingโ€ฆ. I stopped and trimmed the heat shield so I could remove it without removing the sensor. For the same reasons you just mentioned.
I believe real heat like oxy acy to get the manifold red hot for a second would work though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK to wrap this up, after soaking the sensor in half a can of PB Blaster over 3 days with heat ups with a Mapp torch, I gave up. Cut the sensor wiring off and use a 13mm socket on a breaker bar. Took about 1/16th of a turn to break it loose and then it came out with fingers. Stuck the new one in with antiseize.
The hardest part was getting the consarned sensor connector off. A curse on Ford for all these wacky connectors. Every item seems to have it's own connector type and all are darned hard to get loose.
The old sensor was dripping PB Blaster when I got it out, did no good at all. The first time that I recal the heat plus PB Blaster did not work.
Superbumper

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Are you talking about a fuel pressure sensor?

No it is the Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor, Bank 1 sensor 2. More or less. There are four of them counting from front to back. Number three is said to be really hard to remove. The other three you just have to careful taking the sensor out, since the exhaust header is stainless and the sensors are carbon steel and you get galling and thus the bottom tap to clean up the threads. You can apparently wring the sensor off and then you'll really have trouble. Slow does it with lots of PB Blaster and heat or do it as the guy with the YT video: spray it and work it a little each day for five days. I don't have that much time.
Superbumper

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had 2 EGT sensors fail at two different times sometime after 120k miles. After the second sensor failed the other two were proactively replaced. This was a common failure on the '11-'12 trucks. Ford did change the program on these trucks so a sensor failure would not leave you stranded.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Semi-limp mode is a lot better than what I experienced with my 2008 6.4 diesel.

On a long trip in 2018, the truck shut down completely. The engine suddenly quit; there was no warning, no error message. Tow-truck time. The local dealer found that an emissions-system sensor had failed.