cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV navigation systemsl

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to update our rv gps system, an aging Garmin. Your thoughts please.
2004 Born Free class c
21 REPLIES 21

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I have seen a lot of references here to Garmin's Basecamp. It is a good thing that is a "free for download". When you compare it to either Street Alas or Strips and Treats, you will understand why those that learned to use those are so annoyed that we are ignored. If Garmin wasn't the best choice for such, I would never deal with them again. I may not any way, but I still have to find a good way to navigate when off the blue roads.
Once was a "Navigator"
Matt

I agree. Base camp works well for me when I plan off road riding adventures, dual sports, trail rides etc, especially when coupled with USGS 24K topo maps.

for typical "highway" adventures streets and trips is still my choice, and I wish someone would come up with a current map version for streets and trips. For the roads we travel it is still current enough.

Now if base camp had the ease of use of streets and trips it would be a winner.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen a lot of references here to Garmin's Basecamp. It is a good thing that is a "free for download". When you compare it to either Street Alas or Strips and Treats, you will understand why those that learned to use those are so annoyed that we are ignored. If Garmin wasn't the best choice for such, I would never deal with them again. I may not any way, but I still have to find a good way to navigate when off the blue roads.
Once was a "Navigator"
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
We have the garmin RV890 had a previous version years ago.

Advantage:
after entering trailer and TV info will help keep you from going down roads you shouldn't and won't route you on those roads
Lots of info on campgrounds, RV related stuff etc.
Great integrated optional rear view/backup camera and input for a optional camera

Disadvantage:
Google maps or our car display does a better job showing traffic and google does a fantastic job of direction display and test especially if you can link it to your TV nav display. But google looses some of it's value if your in areas with poor or no cell reception.

for planning, we still use microsoft streets and trips. Old but still works well for us.

You may want to download Garmin's free Basecamp program for your route planning. Once you plot a route (or multiple routes) you can then directly upload them to your Garmin device. You can also determine the vehicle configuration in Basecamp so that it will also take weight/height/length/width into consideration. One tip, if you do install Basecamp, attach your Garmin to your computer and then run Garmin Express and make sure that you have the latest map database installed on your GPS. Once this update is performed, leave your GPS attached (for the first local map install) and then also install the map database to your computer. This will allow the program to run much faster and you don't need to have your Garmin device attached to your computer to access the map database.

I do use basecamp. We do lot's of trips on FS roads so with my Garmin Montana I use basecamp and also have the topo 24K maps installed.

And the custom POI lists are nice for any GPS unit. Actually I can load custom POI's into our Denali factory Nav unit as well as our Acura MDX factory Nav unit.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
whjco wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Throw out the Garmin style GPS. Your smartphone and Google Maps and/or WAZE is all you need. Additionally, the information on Google Maps is years ahead of anything available on the standalone GPS's. As an example, I-70 here in Denver was closed for the weekend and Google Maps showed that closure and the correct route to avoid it. This would be impossible with a Garmin.

We traveled out west earlier this year and many places had spotty or no cell service. If you're going to use only a smartphone for navigation then you'd better use a program like CoPilot or Sygic where larger map databases can be loaded directly onto the phone so that a cellular connection isn't needed.

As to the traffic reports, all three of my various Garmins have a data link to my smartphone and receive immediate traffic updates so it IS possible to get dynamic traffic updates with a Garmin GPS. I have a Garmin DriveAssist 50 in one vehicle and a Garmin DriveAssist 51 in another. I use a Garmin dezlcam 785 LMT for my RV. It's a GPS that's designed for commercial vehicles and I have it because I drive charter motor coaches but it will support multiple vehicle configurations.. All three of these GPS units not only access dynamic traffic data but all three also have built-in dash cams.

An added bonus is that I have Garmin's free Basecamp program installed on my PC. The program lets me design trips and then upload them directly to my Garmin so the GPS will then contain custom designed routes already installed and ready to go. If I encounter unplanned construction or traffic delays, the Garmin will automatically plot a detour around it if I want the device to do so.

And then there's that problem when you're using a smart phone for navigation in a big city with numerous, fast approaching set of instructions and then you get a text or phone call at the worst moment possible. I have the above programs installed on my cell phone but they're only there for backup purposes or if I'm traveling on a boat or train and want to know my location.

my experience as well on the Garmins. Yes, maps may not be as current as Google, and a few other things, but we very often travel in spots where we go 100+ miles with NO cell reception, and frankly the Garmin direction map and directions are as good as google, sometimes better. "Turn right at the next stop light on x street just after the McDonalds on the right" Or on freeways showing all the lanes you can use to turn and on a big screen. And the RV Garmins make it easy to find RV related items.

Another plus is that you can download Garmin's free POI Loader program and install it on your computer. Then you can install custom POIs on your Garmin. I upload things like speed/stop light cameras, RV dump sites, Walmarts, etc. Many custom POI databases can be downloaded from www.poifactory.com.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

Advantage:
after entering trailer and TV info will help keep you from going down roads you shouldn't and won't route you on those roads
Great integrated optional rear view/backup camera and input for a optional camera

Disadvantage:
Google maps or our car display does a better job showing traffic and google does a fantastic job of direction display and test especially if you can link it to your TV nav display. But google looses some of it's value if your in areas with poor or no cell reception.

for planning, we still use microsoft streets and trips. Old but still works well for us.

You may want to download Garmin's free Basecamp program for your route planning. Once you plot a route (or multiple routes) you can then directly upload them to your Garmin device. You can also determine the vehicle configuration in Basecamp so that it will also take weight/height/length/width into consideration. One tip, if you do install Basecamp, attach your Garmin to your computer and then run Garmin Express and make sure that you have the latest map database installed on your GPS. Once this update is performed, leave your GPS attached (for the first local map install) and then also install the map database to your computer. This will allow the program to run much faster and you don't need to have your Garmin device attached to your computer to access the map database.
Bill J., Lexington, KY

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Throw out the Garmin style GPS. Your smartphone and Google Maps and/or WAZE is all you need. Additionally, the information on Google Maps is years ahead of anything available on the standalone GPS's. As an example, I-70 here in Denver was closed for the weekend and Google Maps showed that closure and the correct route to avoid it. This would be impossible with a Garmin.

We traveled out west earlier this year and many places had spotty or no cell service. If you're going to use only a smartphone for navigation then you'd better use a program like CoPilot or Sygic where larger map databases can be loaded directly onto the phone so that a cellular connection isn't needed.

As to the traffic reports, all three of my various Garmins have a data link to my smartphone and receive immediate traffic updates so it IS possible to get dynamic traffic updates with a Garmin GPS. I have a Garmin DriveAssist 50 in one vehicle and a Garmin DriveAssist 51 in another. I use a Garmin dezlcam 785 LMT for my RV. It's a GPS that's designed for commercial vehicles and I have it because I drive charter motor coaches but it will support multiple vehicle configurations.. All three of these GPS units not only access dynamic traffic data but all three also have built-in dash cams.

An added bonus is that I have Garmin's free Basecamp program installed on my PC. The program lets me design trips and then upload them directly to my Garmin so the GPS will then contain custom designed routes already installed and ready to go. If I encounter unplanned construction or traffic delays, the Garmin will automatically plot a detour around it if I want the device to do so.

And then there's that problem when you're using a smart phone for navigation in a big city with numerous, fast approaching set of instructions and then you get a text or phone call at the worst moment possible. I have the above programs installed on my cell phone but they're only there for backup purposes or if I'm traveling on a boat or train and want to know my location.

my experience as well on the Garmins. Yes, maps may not be as current as Google, and a few other things, but we very often travel in spots where we go 100+ miles with NO cell reception, and frankly the Garmin direction map and directions are as good as google, sometimes better. "Turn right at the next stop light on x street just after the McDonalds on the right" Or on freeways showing all the lanes you can use to turn and on a big screen. And the RV Garmins make it easy to find RV related items.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:

Bill J., Lexington, KY

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I'm presently using a new Garmin 785 RV GPS. It has a built in camera and it has lane warnings if I get too far to the side. . . also a front collision warning. Pretty cool.

I have had 2 Rand McNally RV GPS's and love them, especially their address book. But unfortunately, one died completely and I had it replaced under warranty. Then the other larger 7" also died. The smaller one (replacement) works "most" of the time, but still freezes occasionally and has to be restarted. I run that and my Garmin together. I also will use Waze on my phone.

It's just me, so I cannot be messing with the GPS going down the road. I'm not good with the Google maps on my phone but have used it to verify roads when I'm stopped.

I like the Garmin for navigation and the Rand McNally when it works.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

The comments I've seen on the camera for the 890 say it is not very good, the one one the older model was said to be better

I had a RV 700 something and I'd say the camera for the 890 is much better. However, on the older garmins the camera had an option of a extension cord that allowed the camera transmitter to be located on the trailer tongue for long trailers. The camera for the rv890 so far doesn't have that option, so it could be an issue for long trailers. The RV890 camera does have better resolution than the one for my 700.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:

The comments I've seen on the camera for the 890 say it is not very good, the one one the older model was said to be better
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Going to try to use my iPad for navigation.
Just got a Garmin stand alone GPS device that connects to my iPad via Bluetooth.
Then use any navigation app you want. I am using Maps.me.
All this without the need for cell service or a $400 gps device.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer

Advantage:

Disadvantage:

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Country Bob,

If you stick to blue roads and don't try to travel the "road less taken", you phone will do well.

For planning, the phone will be useless and in spite of trying to pre-load areas where coverage is poor or less, we still drove off the end of the world a few times. In these cases any GPS is better.

For planning, Google maps does work, but there is the "no coverage issue" to deal with all the time. So, using it as an enroute navigator is a lost cause.

Our coach does not need much for special conditions, we are not so restricted.

With the death of Street Atlas, there is no longer any planning package that works for us. For us, it can't be an internet application, we are off coverage far too much for that to be of any value at all.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another vote for Waze. I have had several RV specific GPS units and found them outdated - even if you pay to update and overall big and clunky. Waze has real time data and I can display it on the screen in my truck. In a MH you could get a head unit with the capacity to pair to your phone or just use a tablet.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS