cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Canadian Snowbird questions

1452spunky
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there, look forward to browsing through this forum, lots of good tips and info in here !

Ok, so I plan on keeping an RV in a park here in Canada year round, but only living here for 7 or 8 months its open.

In the Winter months, I plan on buying and keeping an RV somewhere, that I can store it during the off season....lets say Texas or Florida, not sure yet.

In order to save a ton of money and the longevity of the RV itself, I have decided to not buy a large vehicle to tow it...I will pay someone to move it, if/when I want to...

Ok, so first big question, as a Canuck, I am pondering buying a newer used camping trailer, or 5th wheel, from Montana.

I know there is much debate on doing this for tax purposes, but if I buy an RV from the states and it never leaves the states, why should I pay tax on it ?

So, if anyone has any experience, or opinions, I welcome all.

So, buy a RV in Montana, have it moved to a park in Florida or Texas, should I just title in MT and leave it like that ? It won't be going down the road, unless I change to a different park after a season.
7 REPLIES 7

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
Since you aren't a resident of Montana, I take it you are going to form an LLC? How much will that cost - up front and yearly maintenance fees to keep the LLC going.

If you aren't going to move the trailer, why not buy a Park Model in whatever park you choose - - thousands of them are bought and sold every year, a lot owned by Canadians.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
With Florida if the Park is following the Law all units must have current registration, either Florida or owners home state.
Now some parks don't seem to care while other enforce it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

1452spunky
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies and info.

1/ The cost to have someone haul it from MT to TX or FL is nowhere near the cost of the taxes...but, ok.
2/ Canada tax laws will only apply to an rv if I bring it into Canada...
3/ I very much agree with finding a unit in the state I plan to park my butt in, but I am looking at all my options.
4/ Ok so if I transport a unit from MT to FL and park it, how is the FL Gov't even going to know it entered the state ? Again, I plan on parking it in one place without moving it, for at least the first season...so not sure how I could be asked to pay a tax in FL...

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
After owning a RV for 6 months you can move it to Fla with no sales tax. Less than 6 months of ownership you’ll have to pay Fla sales tax. The cost jot move one from MT will be more than $2000.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not buy a unit already in a park in Florida or Texas. There are almost always units in the park we Winter in Florida, many previously owned by Canadians.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Might be best to consult Canada tax laws, plus the states you're moving it to. Is this an LLC question? I see you listed your state as TX
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Transportation from Montana to FL will cost more than the taxes.

If you have enough money for two RV's you can pay the taxes and license.