Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tag axle for truck camper rigs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tag axle for truck camper rigs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tag axle article

Code 13 Roll the Weight Police

edit - quoted from the article:

"In 2017, after several people showed interest in purchasing our unit, I decided to design a tag axle to sell. We faced two initial challenges. Number one was to submit a “Request for Interpretation” to DOT/NHTSA. That process took 18 months, moved through NHTSA Chief Crash Avoidance Office to Chief Counsel and resulted in a favorable interpretation of the design. NHTSA, Chief Counsel, determined that the unit would be considered a trailer not a tag axle and would carry its own GVWR. The designation was as a Weight Distribution Truck Camper Trailer (WDTCT) requiring a VIN number, lights and brakes."

* This post was edited 07/25/21 12:28pm by noteven *

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years I have seem TC build with their own tags, I have seen tag wheel mounted on the receiver, yet after a decade or 2 I have never seen them on the road, or campgrounds.
Do you think this is going to be different?
That set sure will screw your turning radius.
Not even talking about crossing the ditches.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n0arp wrote:

Also, it looks like it would diminish the ability to leave the pavement - a large benefit to having a truck camper in the first place.

Don't you worry.
When crossing the ditch, the axle frame will bend to shape under 12,000 lb load.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

n0arp wrote:

Also, it looks like it would diminish the ability to leave the pavement - a large benefit to having a truck camper in the first place.

Don't you worry.
When crossing the ditch, the axle frame will bend to shape under 12,000 lb load.

I'm just visualizing dropping the rear truck axle off a 10" shelf, which is out of downtravel range on a lot of trucks, and getting hung up on this contraption with the rear truck tires up in air. You'd have all the weight on this and have to use 4x4 or momentum (which means going over a drop like that too fast) to pull it off with the front tires. Fun, and likely to damage something. Maybe I'm unusual in the places I pick to camp, but I think the ability to get further than other campers is a major selling point for TCs.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Nicky” used a tag axle mounted just aft of the coupler to carry some of the weight of “Tacy’s” long, long trailer.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn right and the tag wheels go left. No way to roll left, so they scrape left. Replace tires after every trip?

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

Turn right and the tag wheels go left. No way to roll left, so they scrape left. Replace tires after every trip?

All multiple-axle trailers do it all the time.
Than nobody expect trailer tires to last 100,000 miles.

we3

Birnamwood Wi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have built several tag axles for pick up trucks and truck campers. Mine were designed so you could lift them off the ground or inflate the airbags and transfer 1800lbs to the tag axle without affecting the front axle weight, all with two switches on the dash. I patented the idea and presented it for manufacture. I soon learned that any time you modify the suspension of a vehicle the liability goes out of sight.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we3 wrote:

I have built several tag axles for pick up trucks and truck campers. Mine were designed so you could lift them off the ground or inflate the airbags and transfer 1800lbs to the tag axle without affecting the front axle weight, all with two switches on the dash. I patented the idea and presented it for manufacture. I soon learned that any time you modify the suspension of a vehicle the liability goes out of sight.

Yes.

I see nothing wrong with adding a tag axle especially with brakes if the truck is operated properly. For ditch driving and such it depends on how much wheel travel is designed into the suspension.

Last week I met a truck camper rig with a tag under it on the highway near the Alberta Rockies.

It is interesting this company has the equipment certified as a trailer ( or "Tag Trailer") so it is not a modification to the vehicle.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

Millions of tandem axle trucks on the road every day. Do they replace the tires with every trip?

The only thing I see wrong with the tires is they appear to be snowmobile trailer tires. Too small, turning at about light speed when you're doing 65. If you're going to be doing anything after every trip, it will be repacking wheel bearings.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tag axle for truck camper rigs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.