cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Term Stays

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Question for full timers. When staying at a park for an extended stay, say 3 months or longer, any suggestions on maintenance like running your engine every so often, etc.? After our initial 6-7 weeks with our Allegro Open Road we will be settling in Mesa, AZ for 6 months. Seems to me you should run things every now and then to keep things lubricated but, as a newbie, not sure if that is poor form and annoying for the neighbors.

Also, what about refilling propane? Are their trucks that deliver to your site or do you have to unhook and drive somewhere?

Input appreciated.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4
15 REPLIES 15

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago I worked with mobile RV mechanic getting a 2004 gas Ford V-10 powered motorhome ready for a new owner after it had sat unmoved for 9 years on a leased site in Florida. We replaced the engine battery, coolant, and belts, drained and replaced the oil and filter, bled and refilled the brake fluid, and cranked the engine over a few times by hand. The rig had been parked with a full fuel tank, and the fuel had been topped off periodically as exercising the generator drew it down. When we first turned the key, it spun over slowly a time or two before getting up to speed and firing up as if it had just been shut down. The disk brakes were a little "crunchy" starting out, but cleared up fairly quickly. The first run was just a few miles down the road to a local tire dealer for new rubber, and the grunts and groans from the suspension had pretty much worked themselves out by the time we got there. We did advise the new owner to add a good quality fuel conditioner to the first couple of fill ups and have the unit checked further by a mechanic before making any lengthy trips, but the rig ran really well after sitting still for 9 years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well if you want to be safe change oil just before you park and again when you hit the road (Never did that but once, long story on that one)
Main engine unlike generator does NOT need monthly run

Generator needs regular exercise (Once a month, 1/2 hour 1/2 load or more in both half cases) for assorted reasons. some electronic some mechanical
The carbureted engines (Generator) are more senisitive to sitting than injected engines ..> You might want to add the prper Seaforam to the fuel tank for fuel stability.

Since the main engine can not be properly loaded. Running it even at fast idle is not good for it. The thing need to get up to full operating temp under load (Same for generator engine) when running. It needs to work, not just idle.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bruce_Brown
willald wrote:
Bruce Brown's advice to relax and stay put during long term stays is probably OK for a diesel rig like his. However, it is not necessarily good advice for a gasser.

Letting gas Motorhomes sit for long periods is not good for them. They need to not only be started up, but driven and moved at least every month or two. Reason I say it needs to be driven is, the brakes, tires, axles need to be exercised, too. It would be a good idea on those 'exercise' trips, to put a few gallons of fresh fuel in it, too. Gasoline when it sits for long periods tends to become stale and lead to other issues (especially in a carbureted engine like nearly all gas generator have).

If I was staying on a site for long term stay, I'd try to make it a point about once a month to break camp and take the rig for a good 15-20 minute drive. I'd suggest using that time to put some fuel in it, maybe get some LP gas if needed, and run/exercise the generator in that time, too. The generator needs to be exercised, too, to keep fresh fuel going through it.

Two of my tractors are a gassers (1957 Allis D17, 1966 Massey 1100), and so is my lawn mower(JD X475) - same advice.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long do cars sit on dealer lots? Yea....just trickle charge the battery.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown's advice to relax and stay put during long term stays is probably OK for a diesel rig like his. However, it is not necessarily good advice for a gasser.

Letting gas Motorhomes sit for long periods is not good for them. They need to not only be started up, but driven and moved at least every month or two. Reason I say it needs to be driven is, the brakes, tires, axles need to be exercised, too. It would be a good idea on those 'exercise' trips, to put a few gallons of fresh fuel in it, too. Gasoline when it sits for long periods tends to become stale and lead to other issues (especially in a carbureted engine like nearly all gas generator have).

If I was staying on a site for long term stay, I'd try to make it a point about once a month to break camp and take the rig for a good 15-20 minute drive. I'd suggest using that time to put some fuel in it, maybe get some LP gas if needed, and run/exercise the generator in that time, too. The generator needs to be exercised, too, to keep fresh fuel going through it.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good advice above. I'm much more conservative about letting gas engines sit since the gas might dry up or gum up. Diesel no problem.

Batteries if not on shore power certainly will have drains that cannot be turned off like smoke detectors, computers etc. That is why I installed full disconnect switches right on the battery posts which limited the drain to battery self discharge.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As Bruce Brown mentioned, many RV's and farm equipment often sit for months without being run. It's usually not recommended to run a vehicle engine for short periods if the entire drive line can't be exercised at the same time with a few mile run. The onboard generator should be exercised under load periodically though, per the manufacturers recommendations.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
I'd park it and enjoy the stay. We park ours in the garage at seasons end (normally mid-September) and fire it back up when the season starts back up again (normally mid-April). We've done it this way since we started this MH deal about 25 years ago and never had an issue.

On my farm tractors it's even a longer downtime (up to 10 months), same deal, never been an issue.

Same here with everything we own (RV, boats, classic cars and backhoe).

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Bruce_Brown
I'd park it and enjoy the stay. We park ours in the garage at seasons end (normally mid-September) and fire it back up when the season starts back up again (normally mid-April). We've done it this way since we started this MH deal about 25 years ago and never had an issue.

On my farm tractors it's even a longer downtime (up to 10 months), same deal, never been an issue.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most of the snow bird parks will have propane trucks that come thru...just check with the front office.

As others have said, if you start the engine, take it out on the road for at least 15-20min, so it gets fully up to temp and works the entire drivetrain...plus the slides, stabilizers and other items that are unused when just sitting.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
Great information my Class C, drive it monthly for 30 minuets and work the generator monthly as well. Annual maintenance and inspection.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And park with full fuel to help reduce tank condensation.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
For us in Chandler the best place for propane is Tractor Supply.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Running for a few minutes causes more moisture in the engine due to condensation. Best to drive it for 15+ minutes to get oil etc up to operating temperature and remove all moisture. About every few months. While you are out driving get the propane. Ditto for gen at about half load.

Bob