cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pueblos West Co to Dinosaur Co

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
If all goes well I should be leaving Pueblo West next Thursday July 29th. Want to head west to Dinosaur. I'm thinking routes 50-285-24-i70-131-40. I would like to avoid the very high zig-zag roads as much as possible. Once I figure my route I'll start work on campgrounds. I'm traveling in my 26ft Class C no tow.
As always all advise is appreciated.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
4 REPLIES 4

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wanted to thank you folks for your suggestions. The entire run was great. From Canon City to Craig we enjoyed good roads and fantastic scenery. Now on to Dinosaur NP.
2020 JAYCO 26XD

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The section of your route with the most curves will be from Canon City to Salida.
Goes along the Arkansas River and is slow and curvy, but a pretty drive.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank You. Now I can figure out which campgrounds to use. This is the poke around part of our trip and 125 to 150 miles per day is our limit. No problem staying 2 or 3 days if we find a nice camp.
Again Thanks.
2020 JAYCO 26XD

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
With the nearly daily closure of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, sometimes for over 24 hours straight, I'd say your route is the way to go. The only "real" pass is Tennessee Pass north of Leadville and it's a quite manageable pass.

US 50 to CO 9 to US 40 may be the quickest, but you'll have both Hoosier Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass to cross.

Make sure you have adequate fuel before you head north on CO 131. Not much along that road until you get close to Steamboat Springs.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)