cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route to Ocean City MD… take 495 or something else

Frozen001
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the GPS route from our location I’m ear Harrisonburg VA to Ft. Whaley campground the fastest is via 495. Taking this tomorrow AM so I suspect traffic will be heavy. We could also go a bit further north and take i70… similar time and distance… thoughts?
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB 6.6l Duramax
2019 Grand Design 3170BH

2-Crazy Red Heads, an patient wife and me.
5 REPLIES 5

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been traveling to the Eastern Shore for decades, and most of the time, we were looping around Baltimore and getting on Route 50. Roads have changed over time, but the beach traffic on route 50 has been horrendous for years. For that reason, I make sure that we are crossing earlier in the day and avoid driving across on Fridays if at all possible.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I lived there most of my life and the Annapolis area is bad during rush hour and weekends going east. Glad you made it

Frozen001
Explorer
Explorer
Followed the GPS route…. 81 to 66 to 495 to US 50… was not bad. My biggest mistake was not filling up before we got off 81. 66 is heavy construction ??. Finding a decent sized station with diesel is not easy on the fly. After we got on 50. There was an accident on US 50 right before the bridge that had traffic backed up. Followed GPS route around it by the US navel academy. Looked like the same route west was jammed up on the bridge.
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB 6.6l Duramax
2019 Grand Design 3170BH

2-Crazy Red Heads, an patient wife and me.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Little late but the traffic problem will be the other side of the bay bridge. I don't think going up 301 would be any better on a Sat. My friend travels from Crofton to Cambridge every day and is always fighting traffic on the Eastern shore. I am late so hope you made it.

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about going to Fredericksburg and taking 218 & 301? 66 has major construction and is a mess.