cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extension Cord Useage - Guage

Surgtech94
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes at home we need to connect to an extension cord - camper cord not long enough. What size guage should we be using? Does it matter ? Thank you
12 REPLIES 12

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I keep mine powered up all the time with a 12ga cord plugged into a 20 amp plug at home. I have a 30ft 30 amp RV cord plugged into the 12ga 100ft cord. Have used this for years.

There is no one single answer to the problem, 100ft of 12Ga wire is perfectly acceptable if you are wanting to plug RV in and charge the battery, run some lights, turn fridge on..

However, add in A/C on top of all of above that and the voltage drop across that cord can cause enough voltage drop to harm the A/C and possibly other devices depending on your local starting voltage at the home outlet.

A quick check with a voltage drop calculator tells me that 100ft of 12Ga wire will drop 5.79% of the voltage at 20A draw..

Typically you want less than 3% drop..

So at your home outlet if the voltage was 120V, the end of that 100ft 12 ga extension cord with 20A draw you will have 113V, about 7V loss..

However, 1f the voltage at the home outlet was 115V the voltage at the end of the extension cord will now be 108V! Basically in the danger zone..

But keep in mind, you have wire between the home outlet and the main breaker panel to contend with and the 30ft 10 ga shore cord to RV cable all which added together make this drop even worse..

If one wanted to be able to run their A/C along with fridge, converter then it is in their best interest to upsize the extension cord to minimize the voltage drop.

Even 10 Ga at 100 ft is questionable at only 20A draw..

100 ft of 10 Ga with 20A draw, will have a loss of 3.46%, about 4V drop..

You actually have to go to 8 Ga to get drop below 3% for 100 ft..

You can check for yourself with a voltage drop calculator HERE just drop in your wire size and length..

With wire, you want to use the minimum length possible, if you don't need 100ft (say only need 50ft), use a shorter extension which I why I recommended using a couple of short 10 Ga RV extension cords..

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep mine powered up all the time with a 12ga cord plugged into a 20 amp plug at home. I have a 30ft 30 amp RV cord plugged into the 12ga 100ft cord. Have used this for years.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are plenty of online wire gauge calculators. Most allow you to select the amount of voltage drop and to specify the length of wire and the maximum amperage you need.

I carry 2 extension cords, 25' and 100'. Both are 3 wire, 10 gauge. That is about the maximum you can get and they are already plenty bulky and heavy. The 25' extension allows me to pull a full 30 amps so I can run the A/C and something like the microwave at the same time. For the 100' extension the maximum draw is about 20 amps so I can only run one major appliance such as the A/C.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The size depends on two things. Current and length
For a 15 amp circuit I'd use at least 12ga Extension cord, Most big box home improvement will have 'em (Lowes, Home Depot, Mennards)

For anything bigger Get a cord at an RV store or make one custom
If making one custom "Up-Size" the wire.
8ga for 30 amp 6 for 50
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Following the recommendations here and my electrician I opted for a 10GA solid copper wire extension cord.

I would opt for a RV 30A 10 ga cord which has RV power connections on both ends..

This way you can take it camping with you just in case you run into a campground that doesn't have a 30A shore power connection close enough to your RV..

I have run into campsites that I have had to shift the RV between water, sewer and electric hookups just right for all three to connect.

With 10 ga wire, 25ft extensions are considerably easier to handle, 50ft might make you regret your decision.

If you own your home and need 50ft or more extension then consider having a RV shore power outlet put in near your RV parking and proper wire buried.. Makes life very easy and you don't have extension cord laying on the ground to trip over or catch with your mower deck..

On edit, fixed spall chalk error..

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Following the recommendations here and my electrician I opted for a 10GA solid copper wire extension cord.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Right now we are parked forward in a back in site because of the view. Just one reason why we carry a RV extension cord.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
#12 is fine up to 100' unless using the A/C.... then you need to check voltage in the RV stays above 108 when running.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Are you just running the frig on electric and a few lights getting ready for a trip? Then a 14 ga 50' will be just fine.
Now if you want to run the AC also you'll need a 12ga cord. I have had no issues using a 12ga 50' cord. AC only draws 12-13 amps so a 20A rated cord is fine.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. My 50 foot extension is a 10 gauge.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
The size depends on what you plan on running and what you are plugging into. If you are plugging into a 15 or 20 amp circuit you are limited right off the bat. I would not consider using anything less than a 10 gauge extension that is as short as possible. That would cut down on voltage loss. If you have a 30 or 50 amp socket you are plugging into get a matching extension as it may be handy in some campgrounds.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The typical home extension cord will have excesive voltage drop depending upon length and load.

One option is a 30A or 50A RV extension cord. Another option is a heavy duty 10ga all copper cord - not a copper covered aluminum cord.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob