cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 Amp plugging into 30 amp service

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
My kids, new to RVing, bought a big toy hauler wired for 50 amp service. My experience is all 30 amp RVs. They tell me that a few of their destinations for their planned trip have 30 amp pedestals only.

What are the different adapters available to plug a 50 amp cord into a 30 amp service, and pros and cons of each? I think I saw somewhere there are adapters to use 2 30 amp outlets and combine to fully run a 50 amp RV?

What would you suggest I pass along to them for options and accessories. I already explained that just because you have all those electrical appliances and outlets, you can't always "just plug in and turn everything on" ... wondering if I need to resort to the old Green Acres simple ampacity solution that Oliver created for Lisa ... ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
11 REPLIES 11

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
I installed a separate circuit with 2x 20A plugs and with an extension cord can plug into a 20A pedestal plug along with the 30A pedestal plug. ie I have 30+20A available (3600+2400W) vs a 50A pedestal (12000W).

The extra circuit is primarly used for 2x ceramic heaters when it's cool.

Though there ARE some "work arounds" for those who are really electrically savvy, I don't see this as good advice for what the OP said:

"My kids, new to RVing.... "

A standard 30 amp male to 50 amp female is the "short answer".

I read that and provided additional information which is common on this board. They are free to ignore it.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
There are also adapters that will allow you to plug into 30 amp campground plugs (rarely available, but there are some) and use your 50 amp plug with that. You still don't have 50 amp service but you would have 30amp service on each leg (so nearly 60 amp if balanced properly).
50 amp cheater adapter
This generally will not work if you plug into a 30 and a 20 if the 20 amp circuit has a GFCI as it will usually trip immediately.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Keep in mind a 30amp outlet is only rated for 80% (24amp) for continuous power draw. 30amps is for short surges such as starting a compressor motor. (same applies to 50amp-240v but it's so much more power, it rarely is an issue).

There are those who will use methods to get 2 air/con units running but usually they wind up with burnt cord ends because they weren't drawing enough to trip the breaker but it was enough to burn up the cord ends.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

Now the rules according to readdy kilowatt

LOL! Haven't heard of that one in years! I grew up in a powerline construction family, contracting to numerous REAs... they were all Willy Wirehand guys ...

and the "other guys" (local Power and Light companies) had Reddy Kilowatt

as their mascot!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too recommend a simple "Dogbone" adapter
This is an short (like 1' or less) cord with a 50 amp outlet on one end and a 30 amp plug on the other.
I also have (If you are near Flint MI and want it) a 30 amp cord with a 50 amp Marinco outlet (Plugs into a 50 amp RV inlet) not for sale but .. I have no need of it.

Now the rules according to readdy kilowatt

ON 20 amps if you are lucky you can run ONE AC. not much of anything else OR the microwave.. Make sure the batteries have time to charge first (That puppy can such up to 10 all by its lonesome if the batteries are "Hungry" give them at least 2 hours before turning on anythign else except perhaps a TV or Radio.

30 amps One A/C or the Microwave OR the water heater NO AND just OR. You might be able to run 2 (But you might have to reset the park breaker) You won't know till you try (Will depend on voltage delivered and a few other things)

50 amp.. Usually "All you can eat"

Some numbers
A/C 13-15 amps
Water heater 12-13
Fridde 3-4n(RV type on electric Residual 2-5)
TV 1-2 (modern tvs)
Converter 1 to 10 (Charges batteries, 10 is a very large one)
Microwave 12-15

Inductive loads (A/C Residential Fridg) Much more starting but the breaker SHOULD delay tripping long enough.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
As noted one AC unit. Careful if you have electric element in water heater. Best not to use it!
cord adapter

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
30 Amp pedestals are only wired for a 30 Amp load. Keep that in mind.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I installed a separate circuit with 2x 20A plugs and with an extension cord can plug into a 20A pedestal plug along with the 30A pedestal plug. ie I have 30+20A available (3600+2400W) vs a 50A pedestal (12000W).

Though there ARE some "work arounds" for those who are really electrically savvy, I don't see this as good advice for what the OP said:

"My kids, new to RVing.... "

A standard 30 amp male to 50 amp female is the "short answer".
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
They will just need the very standard 30 amp male to 50 amp female adapter.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Use a basic 50 to 30 dogbone adapter. Just have to be aware they will only have 3,600 watts of power to work with instead of the 12,000 watts of 50 amp service. Only be able to run one AC and be careful of other high amp devices. Best to run water heater on propane.

The 50 to two 30โ€™s adapters donโ€™t work if the park has GFCI outlets, which is required by current code. And parks typically donโ€™t have two 30 amp outlets. They have one 30 and one 20. Might work in an older park that is not up to current code.