Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Which tire do I buy?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Which tire do I buy?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, yes those are Load Range E tires. The stock Transforce tires on Ram are pretty low end, usually dying before 30K. I replaced mine in the upper 20K miles. I have Nitto Dura Grapplers that are pretty good. I wanted a highway tread (I don't go offroad) that had good tread for snow.

I wouldn't recommend an off-brand tire for a truck. I've never heard of Westlake tires. Go to Walmart or Costco/BJs and you can get good pricing on tires. Selection might be limited, but quality will be there.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignore the Load Range and use the Load Index. Load Range is outdated. Honestly, I don't know why they don't just list the load rating in lb/kg directly. Below gives a table and explanation:

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index

But make sure to check the rims, springs and other suspension components. No sense upgrading to 3800lb tires if the rims are only good for 3600lb.

We've always always just bought the off brands and typically get 40-50k miles out of a set.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Ignore the Load Range and use the Load Index. Load Range is outdated. Honestly, I don't know why they don't just list the load rating in lb/kg directly. Below gives a table and explanation:

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index

But make sure to check the rims, springs and other suspension components. No sense upgrading to 3800lb tires if the rims are only good for 3600lb.

We've always always just bought the off brands and typically get 40-50k miles out of a set.

Ever ran a set of Sailun Terramax ? Good reviews ,and we all know the reputation of the Sailun S637's for our fifth wheels .

Endricken

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps the heaviest (tire weight- most rubber & Steel?) and most expensive can be determinants
I run Michelin XPS Ribs on one axle and Bridgestone Duravis on the other
So far these expensive tires have been worth it as we usually travel 3-4 K miles annually

Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@3640 lbs each X 2 = 7280 lbs. Your truck has a RAWR of 6,000 lbs unless you have a Mega cab of Box Off version.
Not really any reason to need more load rating in a tire.
Westlakes are garbage as far as ST tires go. I would stick with common brands like Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Which tire do I buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.