cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking Water Question

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach came with a nice shower head that has a shut off button to facilitate Navy showers. Do not know flow rate of this shower head. I purchased an Oxygenics shower head to conserve water usage when dry camping. However the Oxygenics shower head does not have a shut off button. It has a smart burst mode that reduces flow but not stop it. My question is what showerhead would be best to conserve water when taking a Navy shower. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
14 REPLIES 14

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Itasca (Winnebago) came stock with a turn off valve right in the shower head handle that can be operated with your thumb on the hand you're holding it with.

I assume too much I guess ... (why) don't all RV's come this way? :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't compare it to Oxygenics shower head, but I love High Sierra shower heads

https://www.highsierrashowerheads.com/

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
steveh27 wrote:
I turn the water heater on for 18 minutes, which is what works to get the water just the right temp to use without the cold on. So I just turn the hot water handle on and off. I do not leave the water heater on.

LOL, that's what I do, but my number is 21 minutes, maybe cuz wwe have a 10 gallon water heater. No adjusting the mix.
I do this especially when boondocking, when conserving propane.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
In spite of myths to the contrary, the Oxygenics is one of the worst shower heads for water conservation. It is designed to produce a powerful spray and uses roughly 1.5 gallons of water a minute. That is more than I use for an entire shower. I average about 1 gallon for a shower. My shower head turns down to a very slow trickle. When I use it, I increase the flow and let the water run over my body. There is virtually no water sprayed anywhere else. Even my wife is able to get by with about 1.5 gallons and she has long hair to rinse.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I turn the water heater on for 18 minutes, which is what works to get the water just the right temp to use without the cold on. So I just turn the hot water handle on and off. I do not leave the water heater on.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I do not have an Oxygenics shower head, I have a "standard" adjustable shower head from Lowes with a cut off valve like the one 2112 suggested. However, when I cut the flow to very low or to a trickle I only get COLD water not the temperature I get when turned on full flow. I thought it was a pump problem, but the same cold only when connected to city water.

Any suggestion?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also use what poster 2112 suggested. Got it at Lowes. You should be good to go.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man -- X2. I love my Oxygenics! My husband installed shutoff valve; I just twist on the knob below the shower head to lower water flow to a trickle, hang shower head on the hook, soap down, remove shower head from hook, turn valve knob and rinse. What I particularly like about the Oxygenics is the water mixing with oxygen from the shower head which gives more water force while rinsing even though water is only entering the plumbing at around 50 psi.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It's also a good idea to put a little effort in ways to get more water rather than just going 'survival camping.'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we apply the shutoff on our Oxygenics it reduces flow to barely a trickle, maybe a couple of cups worth of water per shower, not a biggie for us when boondocking or dry camping. No need for another showerhead if you enjoy your current model, just add a shutoff valve available pretty much any hardware store. I like the trickle on our unit as it keeps water temp steady, we have installed shutoff valves in the past and get a momentary blast of cold water every time we turned flow back on.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the valve idea. Just ordered one. I will use the Oxygenics with this valve.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on adding an inline valve like the previous poster suggested. We can vary the flow rate to the hand-held shower head when we want/need to be careful with water usage.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a valve similar to THIS
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Any one that has a shutoff. Just don't forget and leave it shut off with the water faucets on. That's why they drip a little bit.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman