Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thank Heavens for Our Motorhome
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thank Heavens for Our Motorhome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somebody must have knocked down a power pole nearby when power went out about 3 PM . Edison estimated power would be back on in four hours, it finally came back on at around 2:30 AM. Luckily our motorhome had a full propane tank. When I returned from Ralphs grocery pickup, I put all the frozen and non-frozen perishables in the RV fridge and brought non-perishables into the house.

This is one more example of how a motorhome comes in handy for other than camping our touring, if parked in your driveway. Now I gotta transfer stuff from the motorhome fridge to the kitchen fridge.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island Lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living in the southeast, near the coast, hurricanes give you those reminders annually.

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that RV's has useful functions other than camping LOL.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just run an extension cord from our rig to the freezer and refrigerator in the house and move to the rig for AC until the outage is over.

WinMinnie02

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May not be the best bug out vehicle but will come in handy when the power is out. Take good care of the generator., it saved us especially during Hurricane Sandy, no power for 2 weeks. Hope people learned a valuable lesson from Covid, be prepared.

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever there is a power outage after dark, we head to the Moho and fire up the genset. Watch TV and since the summer storms are usually the culprit, the AC too. Note we always park with a full tank so with care could run a week or maybe 2 on that fuel.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Seon

Lake Camanche, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago had massive fire that knocked down PG&E lines and we had no power for 4 days. That's when I had eu3k Honda that I hooked up an extension cord to the house for the Fridge, lamps and TV. Since then I installed a transfer switch and replaced the Honda with a Predator. Fortunately I haven't had power outage since but am ready.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/21 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is exactly why I refill gas & propane tanks when we return from a trip.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/21 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I planned to use previous rvs to do the same but during a multi month rv repair we lost power for a few days. Had to run a generator ext cord thru a window.
Another time while our daughters were home and we were away in the rv , a storm knocked out the power. I figured it was time do try plan B.

I just had my electrician install an interlock switch on my house panel and an outside 240 outlet . My Honda 7000IS plugs into the 240 receptacle and powers up my entire house. I just bought a plastic shed to house the Honda during rain storms. I plan to cut screened vents into it and install a box fan to circulate air. If im home, i will let a neighbor use the rv Onan if they need it.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago we lost power for 4 days after an ice storm. I kept the house warm and lit by running a cord inside from the motorhome generator. I spliced a 3 prong plug into the natural gas furnace so it would run from the generator. Probably not code legal but it worked!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Thank Heavens for Our Motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.