Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

How will a self driving system handle that perfect snow covered road? No tracks, no lines, no plowed ridges? Can it feel the gravel on the right and steer just a hair left? Or keep it just one tire on the gravel berm? Real dense fog? A leaf covered road? The infamous lane and a half roads where I grew up?

Aircraft, in a much tighter controlled environment, still need a pilot, or two.
It wouldn’t need to feel the edge of the road, it’s possible it could drive perfectly in the center of the lane from purely electronic signals.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spot on Thomas201 and add that the level of computing power of a plane is many times higher than any tired vehicle.

Plus, with a car or truck, the sensors do NOT at this time have wipers/etc cleaning the lenses. Made worse by mud, slush, snow, rain, etc.

AI autonomous is not ready for prime time any time soon.

Ditto EV’s towing heavy for the general public. Maybe commercial, but that too is a long way off, IMHO

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe commercial will be the first to go driverless for simple depot to depot runs in good conditions.
Maybe in another year or three is my guess.

Probably the first will be a diesel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are already autonomous vehicles driving on the roads in certain towns. Not to mention winter driving, snow, rain, other conditions. It's happening now in testing and the test are going well. With Lidar, Video, thermal, radar, sensors they can tell the difference between a person or an object. So if the choice is to hit a kid or an oncoming car or tree, the car will know which one has the least amount of potential impact for the driver or other humans. There are tests just like this going on right now all over the world. I work in this industry and you would be surprised at the level of testing that is going on. Autonomous trucks will come before your average car because they can move goods across wide areas with little impact. Autonomous shuttles are here now in Vegas and business campuses across the country.

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM's Cruise Starts Testing
Thermoguy wrote:

There are already autonomous vehicles driving on the roads in certain towns. Not to mention winter driving, snow, rain, other conditions. It's happening now in testing and the test are going well. With Lidar, Video, thermal, radar, sensors they can tell the difference between a person or an object. So if the choice is to hit a kid or an oncoming car or tree, the car will know which one has the least amount of potential impact for the driver or other humans. There are tests just like this going on right now all over the world. I work in this industry and you would be surprised at the level of testing that is going on. Autonomous trucks will come before your average car because they can move goods across wide areas with little impact. Autonomous shuttles are here now in Vegas and business campuses across the country.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

GM's Cruise Starts Testing
Thermoguy wrote:

There’s already some pretty cool videos of super cruise on YouTube. Pretty impressive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.