Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandy's 2030 EV Prediction

He thinks it will be 2028 for EVs to have 50% + market share.

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

liamricci

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

EV's are the future......

I agree with that 100%. I am looking forward to buy my first EV next spring. Checking now all the pros and cons about few different models, charging calculators , generators etc. Didn't know that Tesla and other EV have different chargers and that you need an adapter from one to another https://evadept.com/best-tesla-to-j1772-adapter/. Lots of things which have to be considered.

* This post was edited 11/04/21 02:05pm by liamricci *

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

liamricci wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

EV's are the future......

I agree with that 100%. I am looking forward to buy my first EV next spring. Checking now all the pros and cons about few different models, charging calculators , generators etc.

Tesla the most patriotic car American can buy.

https://youtu.be/MiDWgh7jhTE

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Tesla the most patriotic car American can buy.

https://youtu.be/MiDWgh7jhTE
And yet ten states make it illegal to sell a Tesla off the lot.

Eight more states have very limited showrooms to actually sell a vehicle. (3 to 6 stores max per state)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes

Easier to buy a Toyota [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

I keep seeing articles like this LA buses 3/4 million dollar vehicles that dont/cant work.
Other articles showing that in hilly areas, the brakes dont work in part from attempts to capture energy stopping function, other cities having problems too, Minnesota
To invest big bucks into one as a personal vehicle , without the ability like these cities to bring back a retired Diesel to handle operation while the electrics are being continually repaired just seems crazy for all but the insanely wealthy.

If you have a problem with EV's, don't buy one. Why you gotta stick your nose into the tent,if it ain't your tent?

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because gasoline powered vehicles were perfect out of the gate, and had no shortcomings, ever. It wasn't like there weren't reliability issues, or any lack of infrastructure that took years or even decades to overcome...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't listen to the entire video, but he left out some important parts - not American built. First, electronics don't come from America - he mentioned that, all cars have Chinese built components so Tesla is not different, although they might have more electronics than other cars. But, how about the batteries. These come from China. They are shipped to the US in ships, not unlike shipping oil to the US from foreign countries. Tesla is building a US manufacturing plant, but the Lithium and other hazardous materials in the batteries will be shipped from China and South America to the US. What happens if one of these ships sinks? Lithium does not float like oil. What will this do the oceans? There is not enough Lithium in the US or in the world to support the batteries in EV's. It is not a renewable resource and is not as abundant as oil. I know they are working on new battery technologies, but none have been found to be as good as Lithium. We can hope they get better, but that is a ways off for now. Lithium is more hazardous than oil and LI-ION batteries are catching fire burning down garages and houses. How many times has an ICE burned down a house for no reason other than just sitting there? Buy American - but buy American and don't hide the fact that the most important part - the battery is Chinese...

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

I didn't listen to the entire video, but he left out some important parts - not American built. First, electronics don't come from America - he mentioned that, all cars have Chinese built components so Tesla is not different, although they might have more electronics than other cars. But, how about the batteries. These come from China. They are shipped to the US in ships, not unlike shipping oil to the US from foreign countries. Tesla is building a US manufacturing plant, but the Lithium and other hazardous materials in the batteries will be shipped from China and South America to the US. What happens if one of these ships sinks? Lithium does not float like oil. What will this do the oceans? There is not enough Lithium in the US or in the world to support the batteries in EV's. It is not a renewable resource and is not as abundant as oil. I know they are working on new battery technologies, but none have been found to be as good as Lithium. We can hope they get better, but that is a ways off for now. Lithium is more hazardous than oil and LI-ION batteries are catching fire burning down garages and houses. How many times has an ICE burned down a house for no reason other than just sitting there? Buy American - but buy American and don't hide the fact that the most important part - the battery is Chinese...

Most Tesla cars built in the US have batteries built in the giga factory in Nevada.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla's supplier of batteries are made by Contemporary Amperex Technology Co out of China. The Lithium used comes from mostly China but also South America. The Lithium mines in the US do not supply enough Lithium for cars, so not used by any car battery manufacturer. I have been researching Lithium battery companies for about a year, and this is what I read every time I come across info on EV's.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Lithium is more hazardous than oil and LI-ION batteries are catching fire burning down garages and houses. How many times has an ICE burned down a house for no reason other than just sitting there? Buy American - but buy American and don't hide the fact that the most important part - the battery is Chinese...

I'm not really part of this discussion, nor do I care to be, but how many times has an ICE powered vehicle burned down for no apparent reason?
My answer would be once.
Dad's 85 Chevy C10. Caught fire in the middle of the night, no apparent foul play (I guess, I'm not CSI and the insurance company paid out without issue). Burned through the garage door, burned down our garage and 2 other vehicles.
Almost got into the house (attached garage, good thing we didn't cheat on the fire wall).

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> EV's I know there are folks better versed than me in here
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.