cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water leaking from overflow valve on city water

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty and when I am using city water, there is water coming out of the valve under the RV. There is no water in the fresh tanks as I leave the drain valve open on the fresh tanks to make sure but water is still coming out of the valves. Please assist. Thank you in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
From your description, I believe the valve you are talking about are the low point drains for the water system. In normal operation, they will be closed. Depending on the maker, they could be push-pull or quarter turn valves located somewhere above the point where you see the leak.
Try using the valve a couple of times quickly to clear the valve and see if your leak stops as debris may be preventing them from fully closing. Worst case may be to replace them.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
The pump has a check valve to keep water from going to the fresh water tank. It sounds like it is bad and allowing water into the fresh and out the drain. Fill the fresh tank and use the pump and no city water for this trip

Edit: the two valves you mention are probably the low point drains for both hot and cold. Close them.

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
If I am using city water, why is the pump mentioned as a possibility of the reason the overflows are leaking water when on city water as I thought the pump is only used with fresh water tanks. Am I wrong?
Also, how does one shut the valves please as this has been suggested? I have a shut off valve that stops water going into the fresh water tanks but have never closed the overflow valves.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Valves under the rig are for draining the system. They should be in normal operation closed.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a use/fill selector valve or similar, make sure it's fully in the correct position. The other possibility is a faulty check valve in the water pump that's allowing city water to leak back through the pump into the tank. The tank drains and vent/overflows sometimes share the same outlets or are very close to each other.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Are you suggesting that I close the valve to the fresh water tanks? My mistake but the water appears to be coming out if the overflow valves under the RV. I have two of them.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Close the valves?