cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ALL NEW Onan Cummins 2500i inverter generator - I LOVE IT!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I FINALLY got around to getting this thing installed.
Three words describe it:
IT IS AWESOME!

Prior to removing the HGJBB generator I did a bunch of sound testing with it. I duplicated those sound tests with the HGLAA while I was putting some break-in run time on it.

I am very happy with how much quieter it is and the lack of vibration compared to the old model. (HGJBB)

First start-up and sound testing.

Previously:

Unboxing
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
15 REPLIES 15

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us small motorhome owners with the good old 4KW Onan gas or diesel generators - I wonder if/when Onan is going to come out with 4KW inverter gas and diesel versions?

Combining the legendary Onan reliability with inverter technology for all of their models is long overdue!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
FINISHED! Took me awhile to get back to the new install with traveling etc., but I'm pretty much 95% done. Just need to secure the exhaust pipe, route the aux propane inlet and secure the exterior panel to the camper.

My 2013 AF 990 required a totally new approach. First, the HGLAA Spec A (2500i LP) was slightly larger than the original Onan 2.5 KVD. The mounts didn't line up, and the brackets made it too wide to fit in width wise.

I built an aluminum rack sitting on shock absorbers to one raise it up for better front end air draw and two, to use the existing 3/8" mounting holes and three, to mount bolts up through the new rack into the bottom of the Generator tray.

Everything Onan/Cummins supplies is in Metrics. Either spend the extra time to check and recheck your conversions or just buy a metric tape measure for $15 on Amazon. I built a template to get the mounting holes through my rack drilled and sized before I set it in. I braced my large aluminum 1โ€x2โ€s with Z brackets and rivets where the bolts mounted to the bottom tray. I used 1/8โ€ thick 2โ€ wide strips to further support the structure. The generator engine is already superbly shock mounted inside the chassis so my aluminum rack with the shock absorbers was almost overkill. I also added some sound deadening material (KILMAT 80mil) inside the entire generator compartment to further cut down on cabin noise โ€“ it worked. I mean the difference is unreal.

I have zero vibration into the frame โ€“ unlike the old KVD - and the thing is SUPER QUIET. I mean itโ€™s so quiet I intend to ditch the Honda 2000. I believe Onan advertises it meets the National Park regulation of 60db at 50 feet. At 50% load itโ€™s 65Dba at 10 feet.

Overall, itโ€™s a huge upgrade with dramatic improvement. The drawbacks are you have to custom install these into older campers but in my view the improvement in vibration, noise and sound is unbeatable. Be ready to spend some time checking and rechecking your custom mount โ€“ I think I put it in two or three times to check for form fit and function โ€“ itโ€™s a beast at 110 pounds. Cost is always a negative and due to supply chain issues, I had to wait a few months for delivery. On the plus side, the thing is so quiet I intend to put the Honda 2000 on the shelf and leave the gas cans at home. That in itself is a huge win! Now, if it can be as reliable and easily maintained like the Hondaโ€™s itโ€™ll be a keeper.
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Prior to installing the new gen, I had to "pop the hood" and take a look inside.

I'm pretty impressed with the nice vibration dampening system it has.

Inside Look

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Part number for the remote panel I used it 028-00022
It has a SILENT LCD hour meter.

When I had a generator in my Mash 17k, it used a analog hour meter - think of "old school odometer" like cars up through the 80s had.
That hour meter made a "click" every 10 seconds or so and was really annoying in a small RV

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
AISURFFISH wrote:
The new AF1150 HAS IT STANDARD NOW. That is due to the inability to getting the regular 2500

ALL RVs that have the 2800/2500 watt generator will include the 2800i or 2500i,

The "inability to get the old one" is because the old one (the HGJBB) has been DISCONTINUED. It was discontinued well over six months ago.

The Inverter model replaced the old model

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
All I added was the resonator and a new tail pipe. I had to get a new tail pipe because i gave away the old one with my HGJBB when I sold it.

I purchased the tail pipe from a Cummins/Onan Facility in Sumner, WA and had it shipped to me. They were the only ones that had the extended length drop pipe I needed.

What is the item you listed as A602M244 Muffler Accessory Kit?

The Resonator won't degrade generator performance. It softens the harshness of the exhaust note. I'd recommend it for ANY genny installation.

I also had to get a longer propane hose since the propane inlet is on the opposite side from where it was on the HGJBB. I bought a 36" hose from my local RV parts store.

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
For those interested in the upgrade I just checked with Cummings last week. It's a 20 Week lead time for non OEM customers. They are pumping these out to the OEMs as fast as they can to meet manufacturer demand. You can find them on-line for about a grand more (if you want it quick) than you'll pay to wait.

I put my name on the order list to replace my Onan 2.5 KVD LP Genny which, interestingly enough, the control board failed on coming back from Jellystone last week. Just FYI if your Genny only runs when you have to hold the "start" button down you've had a control board failure. I intend to just drop mine from the camper to replace the board since trying to unscrew the four cover screws that seem to be torqued down by a gorrilla at the factory have been unsuccessful....but I digress.

From my research, here are some of the Part #s you'll need to make the swap:

Part Number Description
A063N9302.5HGLAA-8304
0155-2325Alum Steel TailpipeKit
0155-2449 Exhaust Resonator
0155-1015 Pipe Clamp

The LP input line is on the opposite side of the current model, same with the power. Additionally, the exhaust exits the Driver side vs the passenger side on the current model. Hence the additional Muffler and accessory tailpipe kit. I intend to install the resonator to see if it makes an additional reduction in Db without degrading Genny performance.
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
The new AF1150 HAS IT STANDARD NOW. That is due to the inability to getting the regular 2500

That new 2500i is revolutionary for truck campers with the propane generators.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo, can you include the part numbers of the Cummings accessories you needed (exhaust etc.) to complete your install? Or, even links to the pages you found?

I'm sure as time goes on this post will be referenced hundreds of times as folks upgrade to the Onan 2500 HGLAA like me ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks!!!
2013 AF 990

specta
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
When I went to bed around 9pm, it was 92 degrees out still.

Its 10:00 AM and 94 degrees here. :E :M
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

Is yours the new inverter model too?

Nope. ๐Ÿ˜ž I bought it back in Sept 2019.

I never heard the original one run. When I took it to get fixed it only had 202 hours on it and the stator had failed. I was told it needed a new stator, that is no longer available and a new rotor. There's a company in CA that would rebuilt my stator but it would take a few months to get it back. The repair would have cost me around $1500.

So with the generator being nearly 25 years old with only 202 hours on it and suffering from a major failure I opted for a new one.

I traded the old one in on the new one and they fixed my old one and sold it. When he sold it he got paid for the repair and he gave me the difference, just over $400. :B I thought that they treated me extremely fair. I'd recommend them to anyone one.

Here's my new one. I had an exhaust shop alter my old exhaust to work with this one.

The bottom of the enclosure for the generator is closed unlike the newer Lance campers (from what I've been told) which helps cut down on the noise level. Its quieter than my friends portable "quiet" generators.

I have 84 hours on this generator and I'm extremely happy with it. I do wish it was the new inverter generator though. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm working on the exhaust today, although at 6am, its 77 degrees in Spokane, WA.

I've NEVER seen it that warm this early. Last night I tried working on it some and the heat got overwhelming, so I gave up. When I went to bed around 9pm, it was 92 degrees out still.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
specta wrote:
I had to do quite a bit of modifying to mount my new Onan 2500 that replaced the original one.

Is yours the new inverter model too?

It's been a challenge finding the correct "drop length" for a new exhaust pipe for mine.

Cummins Onan has a nice accessory catalog with part numbers, but when I call and try to order the parts I get a really stupid answer... they say "that part number is an Indiana part number, it's not in our system" . GEE, that's helpful!

I tracked one down finally and it shipped. I need to go get it from Fed-Ex today.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I had to do quite a bit of modifying to mount my new Onan 2500 that replaced the original one.

The exhaust came out of the new one kiddy corner to the original one.

Mine is totally enclosed.
Kenny