cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New group of Newbies

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a member of this forum since 2004, and have recently been reminiscing about the posts on here for the last 17 year, and decided I've participated on the forum through at least 3 eras in the past 17 years.

I remember joining on here as a newbie and attempting to ask questions as best I could without appearing too ignorant of RVing in general, and I learned a lot as a result. During this time, I was part of a large group of newbies who were also asking questions, many of a simple nature that were answered by some of the more senior members. Unfortunately some of these questions were so simple that some senior members could not hold back the sarcasm, resulting in some learning the hard way.

As time went on, I and other newbies learned more and more, and we occasionally answered questions from new newbies. This "sophomore" class also continued to learn as we went along.

There were still the occasional questions like, "Do I have to open the door on my RV before I go in?" and other such questions, and the seniors continued to have fun at the newbie expense.

(Come on seniors, you know what I'm talking about)

Lately, as I've been watching posts, it seems like we have been getting a lot of those old time newbie questions all over again as though history is repeating itself. It occurs to me that this is a group of newbies spawned by the covid pandemic who recently purchased an RV and are searching for a new way to enjoy life during that era.

I have read reports from RV industry experts who predict that will be a lot of used RVs for sale next year after some in this group decide RVing really isn't for them.

Should be an interesting time for us all as we watch what happens.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog
8 REPLIES 8

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to be a "Negative Nancy", but it scares me how many common sense question come up. Or maybe I should say how many issues come up looking for a quick/simple fix to a complex problem ("My generator won't start !")

If a person is not somewhat "handy", maybe they should NOT get into RVing ! Or they had better have a big bank roll !

Last, the quality of equipment rolling out of the factories is shocking ! IMHO, a 2 year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty, including all appliances, should be standard. 5 years optional.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I highly doubt any RV manufacture will lower MSRP's even when RV parts supplies meet demand. Actual purchase prices will fall once RV demand vs supply is meet.
Used RV prices are high because there's not enough new ones for sale. Used prices will drop when new ones are plentiful.

Right now I'm glad we bought our 2019 TT in 2019 and din't wait another year. Same with our 2019 truck we bough in Sept of 2020. Got a killer deal on trade in and $$$$$ off MSRP of the new truck.

Now is a lousy time to want to buy an RV or truck. While some dealers have lots of RV's for sale, many don't. And the ones that do don't always have what you want. Seems like most of the popular models are in very short supply while the oddball floor plans or even the lesser quality RV's are in greater supply.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
With inflation now underway I would not bet on lower prices on anything for the near future new or recent used from the dealers as their fixed cost are also rising and they are well aware many consumers receive wage increases plus Cola increases due to inflation for retired, SS, etc. If there is a drop off in sales volume then they may/will increase prices on units sold to other buyers to try and make up the difference. Remember the 70s aka a dog chasing it's tail.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/gsci

Retired Fin Acct & SEC CFP

https://i.imgur.com/XCOxDJwm.png

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:
I have been a member of this forum since 2004, and have recently been reminiscing about the posts on here for the last 17 year, and decided I've participated on the forum through at least 3 eras in the past 17 years.

I remember joining on here as a newbie and attempting to ask questions as best I could without appearing too ignorant of RVing in general, and I learned a lot as a result. During this time, I was part of a large group of newbies who were also asking questions, many of a simple nature that were answered by some of the more senior members. Unfortunately some of these questions were so simple that some senior members could not hold back the sarcasm, resulting in some learning the hard way.

As time went on, I and other newbies learned more and more, and we occasionally answered questions from new newbies. This "sophomore" class also continued to learn as we went along.

Early in my working life I worked with men who's only formal education was in a 1-room schoolhouse. On breaks, listening to them talk, the teacher was mostly a guide, much of the education was student to student.
I think when it comes to RVing, the internet has let education advance to 1-room schoolhouse, instead of everybody making their own mistakes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Well, do you need to open the door? If so, how far?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

souraider
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a glut on used inventory then there won't be anything to support premium pricing. More new units will become available...and with demand down...prices go down. Dealers will have to support their manufactures with new inventory. I'll be looking for the opportunity to jump on a "gently" used Momentum G28.
'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313
'20 Can Am Maverick Sport 1000R

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Many of us were newbs before the net...so we learned the hard way what works best for my needs and what didn't.

This web doesn't have a very good "search feature" so..... Some questions are better answered by doing a google.

The rv industry has had lots of feast and famine events over the years I've camped since the late '50s.
The '70s/'80s era had huge jumps in inflation. Example; a new 9' 6" truck camper was 1350 bucks in '72 but the same exact truck camper in the early '80s went for 6800-7200 bucks. Prices never went down and I don't look for new rv prices to drop over a few hundred dollars....if any.

Used units.....JMO will go at premium prices just like other years of ups and downs.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm kinda hoping that the re-sale market opens up as predicted. Not that I would discourage an RV camping life for anyone. But, as the re-sale market opens and some that can't enjoy it, or won't put out the effort to learn that lifestyle, more campground vacancies will become available for those of us who spend the time in our RV's.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic