cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Providing my own WiFi

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in an "RV Resort" and the WiFi, well if I can say this, "it sucks".

I am ready to upgrade my Samsung J3 to a S9 and would like to have my own WiFi.

I have a J3 and theDW has an old g3 panatech. Our daughter gave her a S7 that she is thinking about activating. The DW has AT&T and I have Verison, we have better coverage that way.

Which is better, a phone based hot spot or a separate hot spot. I don't know what the current devices are called. We would like one device or program to provide WiFi for both phones.

Your suggestions please.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
29 REPLIES 29

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
W We would like one device or program to provide WiFi for both phones.

I am confused by this statement. Why would you bring on another device to provide WIFI for your phones and not just use your data plan? You already have both major carriers to get better coverage so it would probably be better upgrade your data plans (if needed) rather than get a third line from a single carrier.

If you want WIFI for your PC's, my wife and I cruised for 6 months both working full-time on our laptops using my Samsung and AT&T unlimited data as a WIFI hotspot. I was also in conference calls at least 4 hours a day while we used the hotspot. I did need to keep the phone plugged in the entire time we worked (and at night while it monitored our anchor for drifting)!

Dave

phone or dedicated hotspot device both work well. Advantage to a dedicated hot spot device include
1) you can leave it in the trailer/car etc. and use your phone outside on a walk/bike ride etc. and those in the trailer still have wifi
2) phone as a hotspot drains phone battery quick, while I can get 24+ hours on the hotspot so it doesn't need to be plugged in all the time, plug it in at night to charge
3) it has two dedicated antenna connections which can help with reception.

disadvantage is it adds a device to your line, in our case a whole $5/month. no big deal. and it costs to start with in our case about $100.

So, think about your use and pick whatever works best for YOUR needs.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
way2roll,

Have you found a stand alone device with an unlimited Data plan? That's what stops me.

I am lucky in that my company has a premiere contract with ATT where employees get truly unlimited data at a very reasonable price and devices (phones, hotspots etc) are free. That said, the dedicated hot spot plan still costs me about $80/month but there is no real contract. So I can start it and stop it month to month with no fees. And provided I don't go 90 days, I can use the same SIM. If I do, they overnight a new SIM for free. Great for travelling.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jorbill2or,

Unfortunately in Canada those options do not exist. Unlimited data is only available on phones, so far as I've been able to find. We have really just 3 companies--one of which is government of Saskatchewan (Sasktel). Of course, these things change, too.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
way2roll,

Have you found a stand alone device with an unlimited Data plan? That's what stops me.

I listed two a page ago! Calyx institute $400 or $500 (5g) per year โ€œdonation to the nonprofitโ€ - sprint/T-Mobile and the fmca sprint -T-Mobile plan at 50 bucks a month.
They are true unlimited hotspots. There are others. They arenโ€™t at Walmart .. youโ€™ll have to dig some .. tech forums , rv mobileinternet , and others.
Bill

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
way2roll,

Sureโ€ฆ itโ€™s called Mobley, but you canโ€™t get it anymore. But for those who have still have the plan itโ€™s great while it lasts.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
As a with a lot of things, the answer is - it depends. If you are planning to use multiple devices, working, streaming tv/movies etc I would definitely opt for a dedicated hot spot with an unlimited data plan. If you are just browsing, checking email etc, I am sure your phone's hot spot will suffice.

Why?

Everything you say can be handled by the phones just fine...at least it has for us.

Well, if you don't know than I doubt I can explain it in a way you will get it. Tons of articles describing the superior capabilities of a hotspot over a phone acting like a hot spot. Speed, reliability, the ability to receive a weaker signal and re-broadcast, ability to add an antenna, multiple devices, security, etc, etc. A phone is a phone that has limited hot spot abilities. A hotspot is a device dedicated to the purpose. I am glad it works for you. Someone with much higher demands - like myself who works remote - prefer a dedicated device.

I work remotely, lots of uploads and downloads, conference calls with video, watching TV/movies, how much higher are your demands?

We dropped the stand along device because the phones did just as well.

About the only thing we lost was the ability to add an antenna but we never had much luck with that. Usually, the signal is good enough that it's not an issue or it's so bad that even with the antenna, it still doesn't get a signal (and yes, we have spent time in remote areas with marginal signal)

That's great for you. My experience is vastly different. Maybe I am the only reason stand alone hot spots exist.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
So taking the most oft suggested way of creating a hot spot, we decided to go with using the phone. We went to the closest Verizon store and the sales guy finally got it staight and found we all ready had 4 GB of data to use and a hot spot in my plan. It did take about 60 seconds for him to set it up and send us merrily on our way back to the campground.

When I bought my phone, I did so to have bluetooth to use with my hearing aids. I never discussed the features of the plan with the sales guy as all I wanted was to be able to hear phone conversations.

So thanks again for jumping in with suggestions, it helped a lot. Now to determin how much data we will be using and upgrade my plan if needed.

Thanks again.

Just keep in mind, you can burn thru 4GB before you turn around. So until you get a feel for your data consumption, keep an eye on it, so it doesn't shut you off at a critical point in work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:
As a with a lot of things, the answer is - it depends. If you are planning to use multiple devices, working, streaming tv/movies etc I would definitely opt for a dedicated hot spot with an unlimited data plan. If you are just browsing, checking email etc, I am sure your phone's hot spot will suffice.

Why?

Everything you say can be handled by the phones just fine...at least it has for us.

Well, if you don't know than I doubt I can explain it in a way you will get it. Tons of articles describing the superior capabilities of a hotspot over a phone acting like a hot spot. Speed, reliability, the ability to receive a weaker signal and re-broadcast, ability to add an antenna, multiple devices, security, etc, etc. A phone is a phone that has limited hot spot abilities. A hotspot is a device dedicated to the purpose. I am glad it works for you. Someone with much higher demands - like myself who works remote - prefer a dedicated device.

I work remotely, lots of uploads and downloads, conference calls with video, watching TV/movies, how much higher are your demands?

We dropped the stand along device because the phones did just as well.

About the only thing we lost was the ability to add an antenna but we never had much luck with that. Usually, the signal is good enough that it's not an issue or it's so bad that even with the antenna, it still doesn't get a signal (and yes, we have spent time in remote areas with marginal signal)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:

Why?

Because Iโ€™d venture You arenโ€™t a real big user of internet.. ok but but some people are. Go over to rv mobile internet and see.
In our case We use almost 300gb a month and are minor users โ€ฆ.there are those who use that in a few days.. how much are you using in your phones hotspot a month? 1movie is 2-3 gb If your a weekend warrior sure the phone may work. We started out full time that way and quickly adapted .. DW had a provided business phone with rare unlimited hotspot .. most donโ€™t have much more than 15-30gb a month hotspot on their unlimited phone and donโ€™t know it ! thatโ€™s a day for us . Using the phone became a hassle and I need cameras security etc online 24 7 Open up to the idea your method isnt the only way. Or even the best way for someone else The question was what were the options. Let the op decide
Bill

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
So taking the most oft suggested way of creating a hot spot, we decided to go with using the phone. We went to the closest Verizon store and the sales guy finally got it staight and found we all ready had 4 GB of data to use and a hot spot in my plan. It did take about 60 seconds for him to set it up and send us merrily on our way back to the campground.

When I bought my phone, I did so to have bluetooth to use with my hearing aids. I never discussed the features of the plan with the sales guy as all I wanted was to be able to hear phone conversations.

So thanks again for jumping in with suggestions, it helped a lot. Now to determin how much data we will be using and upgrade my plan if needed.

Thanks again.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
way2roll wrote:

Why?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:

Why?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III