cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TS-30 transfer switch failure.

Artherc
Explorer
Explorer
This question is two-fold. My TS-30 transfer switch failed in my 1986 Beaver Marquis and need to know if I can replace it with an ATS-301 switch and if not can I bypass the switch altogether.
12 REPLIES 12

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
You can't bypass it. If you do, SHorepower would backfeed into the generator, and generator would backfeed through the shorepower cord. That might let out the mystery blue smoke.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Artherc wrote:
How do I bypass? The power cord goes directly to the main breaker and then to the transfer switch. I'm not sure what to do with the wires to the transfer switch.

the power cord shouldnt be going to the main breaker , it should go to the transfer switch first.

see this post for some diagrams

post for ts-30

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Artherc wrote:
The original transfer switch work fine for a while but failed over time. It started making a clicking noise and then failed after a month. I am living in this and it is important that I get it fixed and I cannot afford to pay a pro.

mine died in the first season and did the same thing. do you have a 30 amp plugin or a 50 amp plug in? since I upgraded to the ts-50 I have been going on 6 years with no issues.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Artherc wrote:
How do I bypass? The power cord goes directly to the main breaker and then to the transfer switch. I'm not sure what to do with the wires to the transfer switch.

You shouldnโ€™t attempt this unless you know exactly what you are doingโ€ฆThere could be unintended adverse consequences - just sayingโ€ฆ

3 tons

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unplug and open the transfer switch box. Use two LARGE wire nuts and connect the cord input to the output. Hot to Hot, Neutral to Neutral, ground should already be connected straight through. This will remove the generator.

Artherc
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artherc wrote:
This question is two-fold. My TS-30 transfer switch failed in my 1986 Beaver Marquis and need to know if I can replace it with an ATS-301 switch and if not can I bypass the switch altogether.
YES on the ATS-301
YES on the bypass.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a gen don't eliminate the ATS unless you want to manually plug either the shore or gen cables into the cord to the CB panel which requires some rewiring. Need 2 male plugs, 1 female and probably some additional wire.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Artherc wrote:
The original transfer switch work fine for a while but failed over time. It started making a clicking noise and then failed after a month. I am living in this and it is important that I get it fixed and I cannot afford to pay a pro.

Paying a pro would be cheaper than calling the fire dept.

Seriously, though this isn't all of that bad a job, making a mistake on this can have dire consequences.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Artherc
Explorer
Explorer

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Artherc wrote:

Mine failed also, for me the reason was that either they used a 30A transfer switch on a 50 amp system or it was just a bad transfer switch. either way I made them upgrade it to the proper TS-50 and havent had an issue since.

if your trailer is 30 amp and not 50 amp many go power had a bad batch of them but the TS-30 is a good quality and rumor is they are actualy progressive dynamics. I would stick with the go power over paralax, here it is cheeper and gets better reviews on amazon.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Canโ€™t say Iโ€™m too familiar with the switch monikers that you site (other than the 30a part), but by bypassing the ATS switch you might run the risk of a short circuit or fire if inadvertently attempting two competing power sources (shore and genny) simultaneouslyโ€ฆFWIW, ATS switches typically have inputs for two power sources (and one output to the main panel), and are designed to keep the two sources sequesteredโ€ฆ

3 tons