cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hookin' the Honda,,,,

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Honda 3000ie genny that I use on my 50amp CC fiver' and I need some advise. The new fiver's receptacle is in the middle so I need to make a longer chord to reach from the back rack where it lives. An electrician made a 10' chord for me years ago that had the needed plug to go into the 30amp receptacle on the Honda and the other end has the 50 amp plug for the fiver, on the 50amp plug he jumped one of the four wires so the three from the genny's 30amp would work??? I guess?? I have a 30amp chord, could I not install the 30amp plug that fits the genny and plug the other end into my 30 to 50 amp dogbone??

Red Green: There's only two things that excite a man, expensive toys and real expensive toys.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
6 REPLIES 6

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks, not as complicated as I thought.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fisherman wrote:
Maybe I didn't read the OP's info right, but am I to understand the electrician jumped the red and black on the 10/4 cable to get 120V AC to both legs. How does that work with the floating neutral and that the hot and white on the genny both give 60 VAC, not 120 on one side?

The floating neutral doesnโ€™t matter. The generator outputs 120V between hot and neutral and the RV expects 120V between either of its hots and its neutral. Now if the RV has an EMS on board, you may need a bonding plug to tie neutral to ground.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Honda (Generator) store will have a twist lock 30 amp extension that should work just fine... I also know how to make the custom cord (have one in fact) but that's another story (I know how to make it because I had to replace the ends. both)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I didn't read the OP's info right, but am I to understand the electrician jumped the red and black on the 10/4 cable to get 120V AC to both legs. How does that work with the floating neutral and that the hot and white on the genny both give 60 VAC, not 120 on one side?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My advice is that yes you can use that 30a cord.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, you can run 30-30 cord from the Gen to the dogbone, then plug the dogbone into the RV shore cord.

I don't see any problem there.

CC