cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newby questions

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Do the new Class C motorhomes with the Ford chassis come with the 10 speed transmission? I understand the engines are detuned, but what other main differences are there in the driveline compared to a F350 or F450? From those with experience with TT and Class C, what are the big differences between a '32 foot' Class C compared to a '32' foot TT for instance? Is there a noticeable difference in usable space? I mean, 32 feet is 32 feet, right? Is it measured differently? What is the hardest thing to get used to driving a Class C in the 30-35 foot range as opposed to towing a 35 or so foot TT?
11 REPLIES 11

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
I don't like the tiring harsh ride of stock Class C's but I can tolerate it, stopping at rest stops. I like to keep RV activity as simple as possible,

??

That was suppose to be X2.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like the tiring harsh ride of stock Class C's but I can tolerate it, stopping at rest stops. I like to keep RV activity as simple as possible,

??

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO there is no ideal motorhome setup, only some will have less compromises based on your (and partner's) personal desires and budget. A lot depends on how you will use a rig, number and ages of those aboard, and how you will store the rig (driveway or RV storage). We have never owned a trailer or FW or towed a vehicle. We started with a camper van conversion, (great utility vehicle) then went to 23foot and currently our 27 foot Class C. I don't think that I would ever enjoy towing a trailer or FW and having to store an RV off site. We have toured and camped in many states and Canada since the 60's and have enjoyed the good and tolerated the "less good" aspects of Class C's. We have never spent much on suspension upgrades. I don't like the tiring harsh ride of stock Class C's but I can tolerate it, stopping at rest stops. I like to keep RV activity as simple as possible, if we were to full-time it, we might want a FW based on what friends with FW's have told us.

PS: A Class C in your driveway can be very handy for day trips to the park, airshows, kids events, and to serve as a place for overnight visitors, air conditioned hangout and food storage during power outages. Wife stayed out in Class C during major home remodel and recovery from breast cancer surgery. She and friend play Yahtsee and eat popcorn out there. Use imagination.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
We also considered Class C vs TT back in 02. Decided on Class C with 2 young children, costs of truck and TT and towing was an issue, minimum Pickup 3/4 ton. Class C advantages already mentioned but TT has more room. Our Class C has 2 slides, helps with room but heavier. Ford E450 V10 is a beast, great engine and chassis. Still going strong after 19 years, DIY mechanic and maintenance and repair is key, I like tools. Personally I like buying new since I keep it LT from quality manufacturer, avoided trading up. Never needed to tow a toad, Class C 30 feet is nimble enough, used bikes for exercise. Never had a TT so unable to comment.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The small 25โ€™ C meets our day use needs and parking needs at home, therefore the C is our rv of choice now.
The following is not to be negative but its something to strongly consider.

I forgot to mention road noise.
Towing my TT with a new Silverado handled โ€˜less than smoothโ€™ road surfaces much better than both my Cโ€™s did.

Your roadways might be in better shape than other large cities but other areas might not be that way.
Towing all of my six TTโ€™s was very quiet inside the TV. You donโ€™t have that luxury in many of not most all MHโ€™s.
You hear things rattle and squeak , you are traveling inside the rv.
It took me 3 seasons of using waffle padding to quiet the pots, pans, dishes, stove top and microwave. Yes microwave , the roads are so full of potholes around big cities , it becomes a challenge to keep up with it. The coach and chassis suffer from pounding potholes. E450 dash squeaks very loud.
Itโ€™s very annoying to drive for long hours. You have to turn up the radio or hire a band.

Just something to think about, you might want to run this by with your co-pilot. Rent one to see if this will work for your family before you make a move like this. Some people end up kicking themselves for not keeping what they had.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
You would need something on the order of 38ft motorhome to get equivalent interior space.

At 8 & 10, you still have to buckle them in if you don't want a ticket. Do you really want to be doing knife work when the driver hits a big pothole?

Also 38ft, that pretty much demands a toad so you are still towing and you are still very long.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
TT vs 32โ€™ C ,
you canโ€™t back up when towing a toad with the C.

Depending on the size and number of slides will affect payload. I would look into weight capacities on a 32โ€™ C.

Transporting a family in a TV while towing a TT is doable. That might be difficult in a C. Even if seatbelts were offered , it might not be very comfortable.

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Currently, we have a 32' floorplan (about 38' tongue to spare) TT being towed behind an Excursion. We have had this setup for a little over four years now, and are beginning to reassess needs as our family grows and interests change. We have used the camper essentially as a base of operations because we have held Disney / Legoland / Universal passes over the time we have lived in Southern FL. Two children, 10 and 8. We take a 'big' trip to visit family in the Midwest each summer (about 4000 mile round trip). My feeling is either go big (FW) or go 'nomad' with a Class C that will get our family more mobile as we grow and age. Obvious problem to getting a nice FW is having to get a truck, and then the FW. That is two very large investments. If we went Class C, it would just be one large investment, which probably is close to equaling the cost of truck and FW (if we go new). Living in urban Miami, I do not relish the idea of trying to drive a one ton (possibly DRW) anywhere. If we went Class C, it would have to be stored somewhere (not ideal), but I would not have a gigantic truck in my driveway that can't be driven anywhere but towing the camper. We are comfortable in our current TT. Having full access to bathroom, beds, entertainment while driving, however, would be HUGE. I am comfortable driving / backing / maneuvering the 55+ feet of TV and TT we currently drive, so I do not think a Class C would be a problem (even with a toad), but I am concerned that space would be a problem when set up. We need to take the next step of actually walking through different FW and Class C units. We did this a number of years ago, and at that time a TT made sense because we already had the Excursion to tow it with. A truck that can handle a 12-14K FW reliably I'm thinking is going to go $50-$60K, and then a FW is at least that again (conservatively). So we are either $120K into a VERY large setup, or possibly $70-$90K into a really nice 32-35' Class C. Any input is appreciated, or if it seems my figures are way off.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had an 18-1/2ft TT and have a 21ft class C. Here are my observations in regards to space:

With the class C, I have the dedicated cabover bed. That makes up for the lost space due to the cab and engine. Without a cabover bed, space would be much tighter.

With the TT, I did not have a dedicated bed. I had a convertible dinette and sofa. Some of the 3ft less in overall length of the box was added back with the tongue and hitch. With a 21ft box, I would have gained 3 ft of inside space, but the total length would have increased due to the tongue. Spacewise, I don't think I could have had a dedicated bed, dinette, and sofa even with the additional 3ft.

With the TT, you need to add the length of the tow vehicle. With the class C, you can choose not to tow a toad so your length remains at the rig length. If you choose to tow a toad, your total length increases.

I recommend you look at floorplans and "daydream" about how you would function in them. Whether you find one or the other better will be a personal choice.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lot's of question ! I will try to answer a few.

Most (all) Class C motorhomes are built on an E-Series chassis. This is very different than any F-Series chassis. The biggest difference is in the cab. There are significant differences in the chassis.

Depending on when the chassis was manufactured will depend on what engine and transmission you will. I think the only choice is a 7.3L gasoline engine with 10 speed transmission.

Huge difference between a 32' Class C and a 32' TT. You need to look for yourshelf.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
32' travel trailer is interior length. Class C 32' is bumper to bumper. 6 speed tranny.

For further study LINK
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE