cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

parking on a slight driveway

tav
Explorer
Explorer
hi all. ..haven't been on here in yrs ..my drive way has a small slope and wondering can you park a T/T a slope.kinda heard you have to keep it level for the compressors. do you need to keep it level ? and what can you do to keep it from moving down ? we where getting a t/t years ago but never did it, wife is thinking of getting on probably next yr,
12 REPLIES 12

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
davehultin wrote:
I wish I could be a part of the "slight driveway" category. My driveway slope isn't extreme, but you can sure see extreme from here. I let the trailer tilt when not in use so gravity can do its thing with the rain. But when we're preparing to go I crank up the jack as far as I can and it's STILL not level. Close, but not level. Every time I move the slide out when we're prepping I wonder how much unwanted stress I'm putting on the the slide. So far so good, but I do wonder...

Before you unhook, do you have room to put a block under jack?

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could be a part of the "slight driveway" category. My driveway slope isn't extreme, but you can sure see extreme from here. I let the trailer tilt when not in use so gravity can do its thing with the rain. But when we're preparing to go I crank up the jack as far as I can and it's STILL not level. Close, but not level. Every time I move the slide out when we're prepping I wonder how much unwanted stress I'm putting on the the slide. So far so good, but I do wonder...

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine leveled when its parked for storage just so the doors and such operate good. I can leave my wood blocks in place at home, so I just back in the same spot every time, its already leveled when I unhitch and lower the front down.

I have around 30 years of experience using the gas RV Norcold and Dometic fridges, never had a single issue running them mildly out of level. I do avoid keeping them way out of level though. The residential fridges run better when they are close to level too they say, but we never had an issue with our big double door residential set up either. Ice cream didn't melt. My home fridge isn't as level as my RV fridge.... old flimsy house...

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is only " fairly level " and frig runs 24/7 and never an issue.
Is your driveway so sloped that you can't achieve.....some level of levelness.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's true that the trailer can be slightly out of level without harming the fridge, but I am one of those ultra-cautious folks -- why take a chance?

So because our driveway has a definite slope, I always level the trailer as best I can when we park it. If the driveway is level side to side, leveling the trailer is easy -- just use the jack to move the nose up or down.

If the driveway has a "right to left" slant, you could use Lynx blocks -- we call them "giant Legos." Or just a piece of wood of the right thickness. Pro tip: cut a slanted edge on the board so that the tire can ride up the slant onto the flat board. Otherwise, the board might just scoot down the driveway when the tire hits the square edge.

Don't ask how I learned this.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you have a refrigerator with a compressor it won't care or be damaged.

If you have a standard Propane/Electric absorption refrigerator it needs to be fairly level when it's running. If the refrigerator is off then it does not need to be level.

The post above about being level for the slides and draining the water for winterizing makes sense to me. I would make sure it was level before doing either if those things.

Aside from the absorption refrigerator or the other two mentions above your trailer can be stored off level with no damage.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
If you have a propane refrigerator do not operate it unless level.

this ^

or operate slides

or drain for freezing weather properly

Other than that the trailer won't care.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Level as in within 3-6 degrees max on the fridge. Does not need to be perfectly level.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be fine.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have 5 different pair of wheel chocks depending on the type of site. For pavement I recommend rubber, such as these I have. For dirt/gras, I use some simple plastic ones. I also have some Lynx Chocks that hook into their level blocks.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
tav wrote:
hi all. ..haven't been on here in yrs ..my drive way has a small slope and wondering can you park a T/T a slope.kinda heard you have to keep it level for the compressors. do you need to keep it level ? and what can you do to keep it from moving down ? we where getting a t/t years ago but never did it, wife is thinking of getting on probably next yr,
Chock all of the tires and then level it.
My driveway is sloped, been doing this for 30 years.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a propane refrigerator do not operate it unless level.