cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Marquis Gold 5500 vapor LP generator

jimhoustontx
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan LP generator is backfiring through the carb. I searched and found this post by "howardwheeler" from 2018.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29683903/print/true.cfm

He was having the EXACT same problem as I am having. If you read the post, you can see he fixed the problem by finding and cleaning a screen that is part of his low pressure regulator inside the generator. I have the cover off of my generator and I can see my low pressure regulator, but I don't see a screen. There are 3 hoses coming off the regulator. All of them appear to be connected to things other than a screen. If there is anyone out there reading this that has had this problem and knows how to locate said "screen", please fill me in. Also if anyone knows how I could go about contacting "howardwheeler" I'd appreciate a tutorial.
7 REPLIES 7

jimhoustontx
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Barney...a bit of an update. There is an air relief tube on the side of the low pressure regulator. I blew it out with high pressure air and air seems to be moving freely through it. This did not solve the problem. It's still backfiring loudly through the carb. According to a lot of info on google, carb back firing is caused by a too lean air/fuel mixture which can be caused by a stuck intake valve or a engine that's needs timing adjustment. The strange thing is, this generator only has 31 hours on it. I'm guessing it wasn't exercised often enough and maybe there is corrosion on one of the valve stems causing it to stick. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to try to unstick the valve without taking the valve covers off? If I can't get it unstuck by spraying a product through the carb, then I guess I will have to take it in and pay a shop to fix it.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Come on guys- can't anyone help this member with his problem?
He is trying to find a solution to his Onan LP generator backfiring through the carb.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jimhoustontx
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Barney...I hope someone reads this thread and can help me out.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the Tech Issues forum will help you out. ๐Ÿ™‚
Moved to Tech Issues from 5th wheel forum.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

jimhoustontx
Explorer
Explorer
Well, still no reply to this post or from my private message to "howardwheeler". Can anyone give me advice on a better place to put this question, so I might get answers from other members who have this same generator?

jimhoustontx
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I did just that and I'm waiting for him to reply.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for howadrwheeler
Then send him a private message
He also lives in Texas