cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission shudder

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anyone have the transmission shudder issue on their Chevy Silverado with the 8 speed tranny? I think my 2018 has started doing it at cruising speed when going down the highway. Going to have to have it checked out. From what I've read about it a transmission fluid change usually solves the problem. Hope that's all it needs. I seen that there was a TSB issued for that problem.
19 REPLIES 19

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
That’s normally a fluid change. Our Ram truck 8 speeds will hang up in 2nd gear when coming to a stop. Changing the fluid fixes the issue. Anyone that believes in lifetime fluids is asking for a large repair bill. The fluid is expensive, but it’s still cheaper than a trans.

So I have the Ram 2013 68RFE Trans in my truck. I read some scary stuff on what is weak and can go wrong. Would a flush and filter change be a good preventative on these issues? I bought my truck used with 36K on it from the dealer back in 2015 and I made him flush and service the trans or I wouldn't buy it with out knowing anything about issues. So, if you recommend doing this, with which brand of fluid to replace it with?

68rfe is nothing like the ZF 8 speeds.
Read IdaD post about his accumulator retainer. That imo is the one fatal flaw weak link.
As much as I don’t like them, they are about as reliable as other units, only clunky and Shift poorly.
You don’t mention how many miles since last service. So impossible to give a recommendation, but I wouldn’t go more than 60k between services. I also can’t see your trans fluid, which is the real indicator.

Last service is as I had mentioned at 36K at the dealer and who knows if they did filter. Supposedly they flushed it. That was 55K ago. Might be due to service this I haven't checked fluid or color in awhile as well
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
That’s normally a fluid change. Our Ram truck 8 speeds will hang up in 2nd gear when coming to a stop. Changing the fluid fixes the issue. Anyone that believes in lifetime fluids is asking for a large repair bill. The fluid is expensive, but it’s still cheaper than a trans.

So I have the Ram 2013 68RFE Trans in my truck. I read some scary stuff on what is weak and can go wrong. Would a flush and filter change be a good preventative on these issues? I bought my truck used with 36K on it from the dealer back in 2015 and I made him flush and service the trans or I wouldn't buy it with out knowing anything about issues. So, if you recommend doing this, with which brand of fluid to replace it with?

A filter and fluid change is always a good thing to do. I have always done the trans fluid on my TV’s at 25k mile intervals. And the filter and fluid at 50k intervals. It’s the cheapest thing you can do to prolong the life of a transmission. As has been said the accumulator can be an issue. Although I have yet to see one fail. I would use the factory ATF.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

68rfe is nothing like the ZF 8 speeds.
Read IdaD post about his accumulator retainer. That imo is the one fatal flaw weak link.
As much as I don’t like them, they are about as reliable as other units, only clunky and Shift poorly.
You don’t mention how many miles since last service. So impossible to give a recommendation, but I wouldn’t go more than 60k between services. I also can’t see your trans fluid, which is the real indicator.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
philh wrote:
shudder is often friction plates that have absorbed moisture in the fluid. Sometimes, changing fluid will clear it up.

Exactly, and that's what the wrong fluid was causing, moisture in what was supposed to be a sealed system.

Transmissions are not sealed. They have a vent that allows the trans do breath as it heats up and cools down. Vent is above an OEM identified water line, which is determined based on how high water splashes when driven into puddles at various depths and speeds.

True. By sealed I mean no dip stick.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
If fluid change does not solve issue then maybe a new Xsmn computer module (pcm) may be needed or reprogrammed if possible. My transmission also had long delays in shifting and new module $400.00 corrected the problem and it has operated like new from the factory since then.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Campfire Time wrote:
philh wrote:
shudder is often friction plates that have absorbed moisture in the fluid. Sometimes, changing fluid will clear it up.

Exactly, and that's what the wrong fluid was causing, moisture in what was supposed to be a sealed system.

Transmissions are not sealed. They have a vent that allows the trans do breath as it heats up and cools down. Vent is above an OEM identified water line, which is determined based on how high water splashes when driven into puddles at various depths and speeds.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:

Actually I just replaced an 8HP70 in a Tack Hawk. The fluid was black at 37k miles. However I believe the failure was the park solenoid. It was diagnosed by another tech in the shop, and I don’t trust his diagnostics (everything gets replaced type). With that though. I would just do a drain and fill a couple times and it should be good. The filter is built into the trans pan and isn’t cheap, that’s why it’s a one time use pan.But at 40k a drain and fill would be all I would do. Maybe do a filter/pan around 60-70k. They are a good trans, but the fluid is the weak point.

Ha, yeah, it triggers my vehicular OCD that I cant even SEE the trans fluid!
But assuming fluid looks good and not alot of trash (do they even have a magnet in the pan?), you'd forego the filter change until later. Interesting.
Thank you for the advice.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had the fluid changed in my wife's 2016 GMC 8 speed. It worked on that truck. Had the same thing done on my 2018 ZR2, it didn't solve that problem. I hated that tranny. Put it in reverse and it wouldn't move for like 5 seconds sometimes. Loved the ZR2, pretty awesome little pickup, but that tranny kinda wrecked it for me.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Sorry for the off topic, but...
What are your real world thoughts on the preferred service (drain n fill or complete fluid replacement) on the 8HP70 behind a SRT8?
Car is 5 years old, approaching 40k miles, wife's summer driver, 99% commuter car, 1% husband done a few good burnouts and a couple top speed runs only.
Also is at absolutely necessary to replace the pan? I don't quite understand why that's a single use item.
I'm considering doing a service on it now around 40k miles since the car has been virtually flawless to date and plan is to keep it a long time.

Actually I just replaced an 8HP70 in a Tack Hawk. The fluid was black at 37k miles. However I believe the failure was the park solenoid. It was diagnosed by another tech in the shop, and I don’t trust his diagnostics (everything gets replaced type). With that though. I would just do a drain and fill a couple times and it should be good. The filter is built into the trans pan and isn’t cheap, that’s why it’s a one time use pan.But at 40k a drain and fill would be all I would do. Maybe do a filter/pan around 60-70k. They are a good trans, but the fluid is the weak point.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
There's a lot of Canyon / Colorado owners with the 8 speed transmission that have the same problem. Fluid change mostly cures the problem, but sometimes the issue comes back.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

In the case of the GM 8 speed, the 2015-2019 has a TSB for a shudder condition at cruising speeds above 50. The reason is that the transmissions left the factory with the wrong fluid type. It took them until 2019 to figure it out.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

That said GM maintenance is change of fluid every 45k. Lots of people never follow the engineer's recommendations.
Chuck D.
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid