Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Transmission shudder
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Transmission shudder

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shudder is often friction plates that have absorbed moisture in the fluid. Sometimes, changing fluid will clear it up.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Actually I just replaced an 8HP70 in a Tack Hawk. The fluid was black at 37k miles. However I believe the failure was the park solenoid. It was diagnosed by another tech in the shop, and I don’t trust his diagnostics (everything gets replaced type). With that though. I would just do a drain and fill a couple times and it should be good. The filter is built into the trans pan and isn’t cheap, that’s why it’s a one time use pan.But at 40k a drain and fill would be all I would do. Maybe do a filter/pan around 60-70k. They are a good trans, but the fluid is the weak point.

Ha, yeah, it triggers my vehicular OCD that I cant even SEE the trans fluid!
But assuming fluid looks good and not alot of trash (do they even have a magnet in the pan?), you'd forego the filter change until later. Interesting.
Thank you for the advice.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

shudder is often friction plates that have absorbed moisture in the fluid. Sometimes, changing fluid will clear it up.

Exactly, and that's what the wrong fluid was causing, moisture in what was supposed to be a sealed system.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

philh wrote:

Exactly, and that's what the wrong fluid was causing, moisture in what was supposed to be a sealed system.

Transmissions are not sealed. They have a vent that allows the trans do breath as it heats up and cools down. Vent is above an OEM identified water line, which is determined based on how high water splashes when driven into puddles at various depths and speeds.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 01:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If fluid change does not solve issue then maybe a new Xsmn computer module (pcm) may be needed or reprogrammed if possible. My transmission also had long delays in shifting and new module $400.00 corrected the problem and it has operated like new from the factory since then.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

That’s normally a fluid change. Our Ram truck 8 speeds will hang up in 2nd gear when coming to a stop. Changing the fluid fixes the issue. Anyone that believes in lifetime fluids is asking for a large repair bill. The fluid is expensive, but it’s still cheaper than a trans.

So I have the Ram 2013 68RFE Trans in my truck. I read some scary stuff on what is weak and can go wrong. Would a flush and filter change be a good preventative on these issues? I bought my truck used with 36K on it from the dealer back in 2015 and I made him flush and service the trans or I wouldn't buy it with out knowing anything about issues. So, if you recommend doing this, with which brand of fluid to replace it with?

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Campfire Time wrote:

philh wrote:

Transmissions are not sealed. They have a vent that allows the trans do breath as it heats up and cools down. Vent is above an OEM identified water line, which is determined based on how high water splashes when driven into puddles at various depths and speeds.

True. By sealed I mean no dip stick.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

That’s normally a fluid change. Our Ram truck 8 speeds will hang up in 2nd gear when coming to a stop. Changing the fluid fixes the issue. Anyone that believes in lifetime fluids is asking for a large repair bill. The fluid is expensive, but it’s still cheaper than a trans.

So I have the Ram 2013 68RFE Trans in my truck. I read some scary stuff on what is weak and can go wrong. Would a flush and filter change be a good preventative on these issues? I bought my truck used with 36K on it from the dealer back in 2015 and I made him flush and service the trans or I wouldn't buy it with out knowing anything about issues. So, if you recommend doing this, with which brand of fluid to replace it with?

68rfe is nothing like the ZF 8 speeds.
Read IdaD post about his accumulator retainer. That imo is the one fatal flaw weak link.
As much as I don’t like them, they are about as reliable as other units, only clunky and Shift poorly.
You don’t mention how many miles since last service. So impossible to give a recommendation, but I wouldn’t go more than 60k between services. I also can’t see your trans fluid, which is the real indicator.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

A filter and fluid change is always a good thing to do. I have always done the trans fluid on my TV’s at 25k mile intervals. And the filter and fluid at 50k intervals. It’s the cheapest thing you can do to prolong the life of a transmission. As has been said the accumulator can be an issue. Although I have yet to see one fail. I would use the factory ATF.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

68rfe is nothing like the ZF 8 speeds.
Read IdaD post about his accumulator retainer. That imo is the one fatal flaw weak link.
As much as I don’t like them, they are about as reliable as other units, only clunky and Shift poorly.
You don’t mention how many miles since last service. So impossible to give a recommendation, but I wouldn’t go more than 60k between services. I also can’t see your trans fluid, which is the real indicator.

Last service is as I had mentioned at 36K at the dealer and who knows if they did filter. Supposedly they flushed it. That was 55K ago. Might be due to service this I haven't checked fluid or color in awhile as well

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Transmission shudder
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.