cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cruise Control Monaco Executive Roadmaster Chasis

buystockinfun
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I don't think I've owned an RV that has ever had working cruise control LOL. I have a 2006 Monaco Executive with a Roadmaster chasis. The cruise control for the Smart Wheel system apparently that it has is on the steering column and it is buttons that you push on the steering column. The cruise control lights up but it never sets.

Here's what I've tried and do know. I've looked for a fuse but since the lights on I think that's good. The step is not out and no warning lights on the dash are on. I've tried it with and without the air brake on. I've tried it above 25 mph and all the way up to highway speed. The idle control with the cruise pressing set and resume will idle down to 500 and up to about 850. I thought it should go higher but it doesn't go any higher. Not sure if this is that clue but it is working to some extent. I've driven with the exhaust brake on and off lifting up the brake pedal from behind it while trying to set the cruise so it doesn't seem to indicate that the parking brake switch is engaged or anything like that and I would think that would show up on the dash maybe I don't know. Unless the parking rate switches completely bad wouldn't there be other problems? So not sure how to check that exactly but also heard that it runs off vacuum which diesel engines don't generate and I do notice a vacuum canister and there's a solenoid of some kind underneath it looks a little melted except for the dash AC actuators all work but that's a whole other post cuz the dash AC doesn't really blow cold.

Anyway trying to figure out how to diagnose and troubleshoot this Cruise control. I can't find any diagrams on the system and how it's routed and works. It would be great to get a diagram of the routing where various components are that kind of thing. Does anybody have that and can they provide any guidance into common issues.

It has Cummings ISX15 525hp (supposedly upgraded to 600hp-this is probably true because it was offered as an option but I don't really know how they upgrade that and why it's not on any of the stickers other than the back of the camper).

Drives me nuts when people resolve problems and they never post on these forums with the solution was so I promise not to do that once I figure it out!
7 REPLIES 7

buystockinfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. The step still operates so that is good. The horn section with the springs fell off today on the stearing wheel. Yeah. Time to try and epoxy the springs somehow so at least it kinda sits in there. Or leave it off and build a button. At least the horn works now all you have to do is touch the connector to the other side. On the bright side you can get to everything that you don't need to get to anyway.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2006_Executive.pdf
\
Your owners manual if you do not have it. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
buystockinfun wrote:
Thanks for the information. There is a clear box with a bunch of fuses relays and a circuit board off on the passenger side of the front area where the engine compartment would be on a regular vehicle. It has a bunch of lights I didn't even know what that was but I guess maybe that's a smart controller. I don't know how to post a picture of this. I will get that guide I didn't know they had that I've been trying to figure out the Smart Wheel information as well. There is a solenoid near the vacuum pump above it but under the ball which I would love to send a picture of and it looks kind of melted and it goes to a blue hose I know that that vacuum line controls the air conditioning vents and they work fine but that other solenoid I wonder if that's the cruise control and it's just not working because of that solenoid being melted. I'd love to show you what that looks like. That ball is about 8 in in diameter.

In terms of the engine horsepower so somebody put a 600 on the back with the six slightly crooked. It says that the 600 was an option for this camper but the tag on the engine clearly states 525 horsepower. I called Cummings and I'm going to register for their free whatever so you can download some stuff but he said that their site shows that it's 525 horsepower. I suggested that maybe Monaco or Roadmaster did something to make it 600 there wasn't at an authorized Cummings dealer. He said that was unlikely that in order to do that they would have to have a coming certification and therefore Cummings would know about it or whatever. He said those places all used authorized whatever so he said he didn't think it was at least done by the manufacturer. But I heard it 600. I doubt they did any super big modification to make it 600 it has to be something external some type of modification which I have no idea what would do that or how that would be a really bad thing. I heard on these motors that the rear like one of the cylinders can have a problem that's big trouble because of cooling or something. It's my understanding the 600 horsepower started having problems after 07 and this is an 06 but that could be this information. I can't be sure if it's $600 I don't even know how it would be.

Certainly happy to hear anything further regarding the box that I see on the passenger side by the way it has a clear cover and it's a fancy box like all weather sealed. And also anything you might say about this 600 horsepower and that melted relay. How do you post pictures by the way?

Thanks

The round "ball" is a vacumm reservoir for the Dash AC vent controls. There will be NO solenoid up front for the Cruise Control in that area. Odds are that solenoid you state is melted is for the Interior entry step cover which is usually air pressure operated. Yes, Pics would help but like you, I do not know how to post them. Doug

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
if you have the engine brakes system on (switch) then the cruise control will not engine.

That's the first thing to check, Engine Brake switches OFF.

Do you have VORAD? It would have an Eaton Vorad display with a "SmartCruise" green light on the instrument panel as well as a red "Fault Light when the ignition key is turned to "Run".

The SmartWheel controller should be in the FRB (Front Run Bay) outside in front of the driver side front tire & below the driver side window.

The 600HP option from Monaco was a $10,000 option so who knows what a previous owner did or did not do. That is secondary to the Cruise Control Problem, IMHO.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
if you have the engine brakes system on (switch) then the cruise control will not work.

buystockinfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. There is a clear box with a bunch of fuses relays and a circuit board off on the passenger side of the front area where the engine compartment would be on a regular vehicle. It has a bunch of lights I didn't even know what that was but I guess maybe that's a smart controller. I don't know how to post a picture of this. I will get that guide I didn't know they had that I've been trying to figure out the Smart Wheel information as well. There is a solenoid near the vacuum pump above it but under the ball which I would love to send a picture of and it looks kind of melted and it goes to a blue hose I know that that vacuum line controls the air conditioning vents and they work fine but that other solenoid I wonder if that's the cruise control and it's just not working because of that solenoid being melted. I'd love to show you what that looks like. That ball is about 8 in in diameter.

In terms of the engine horsepower so somebody put a 600 on the back with the six slightly crooked. It says that the 600 was an option for this camper but the tag on the engine clearly states 525 horsepower. I called Cummings and I'm going to register for their free whatever so you can download some stuff but he said that their site shows that it's 525 horsepower. I suggested that maybe Monaco or Roadmaster did something to make it 600 there wasn't at an authorized Cummings dealer. He said that was unlikely that in order to do that they would have to have a coming certification and therefore Cummings would know about it or whatever. He said those places all used authorized whatever so he said he didn't think it was at least done by the manufacturer. But I heard it 600. I doubt they did any super big modification to make it 600 it has to be something external some type of modification which I have no idea what would do that or how that would be a really bad thing. I heard on these motors that the rear like one of the cylinders can have a problem that's big trouble because of cooling or something. It's my understanding the 600 horsepower started having problems after 07 and this is an 06 but that could be this information. I can't be sure if it's $600 I don't even know how it would be.

Certainly happy to hear anything further regarding the box that I see on the passenger side by the way it has a clear cover and it's a fancy box like all weather sealed. And also anything you might say about this 600 horsepower and that melted relay. How do you post pictures by the way?

Thanks

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Download this troubleshooting guide for the smart wheel…controller is on the left wall of the front run box.
VIP Smart Wheel
Often a problem will be in the plug at the base of the steering column… clean and reconnect.

You can see what engine you have…remove the access on the floor in the BR and it’s on the passenger side of the valve cover. Record the serial # for future reference and when the engine was built… hopefully it’s NOT a 600HP.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...