cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Leaning 1" - Super Springs

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Just noticed I have a slight lean to the left like 1" difference (drivers side) on my 2017 F250 and Camp Lite TC 8.6. I have super springs that are on a medium setting. Should I change them to the heavy setting or will I still get that little bit of lean?
22 REPLIES 22

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ If it leans even more when loaded, then the camper is heavier on one side (obviously). However this isn't necessarily a problem.
Bags can certainly correct that. But I've learned that unless there's an actual problem, sometimes its "just fine" even though it aint perfect!

That's what Ford says. LOL I think it is their new motto.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ If it leans even more when loaded, then the camper is heavier on one side (obviously). However this isn't necessarily a problem.
Bags can certainly correct that. But I've learned that unless there's an actual problem, sometimes its "just fine" even though it aint perfect!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ So it's the truck, not the camper....
FWIW, this is probably just the first time you've noticed, but a great % of vehicles don't sit just perfect. Trucks and cars, new and old.

Finding something else to hone in on will help if its bothering you.

LOL Good advice. Thanks. Yeah, I'm just gonna gonna say it is what it is right now and maybe down the line add some airbags. because tightening the pretension on the spring did not help with the lean when loaded.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ So it's the truck, not the camper....
FWIW, this is probably just the first time you've noticed, but a great % of vehicles don't sit just perfect. Trucks and cars, new and old.

Finding something else to hone in on will help if its bothering you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
TCCamperNoob wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Again, they shouldnโ€™t affect the unloaded ride.

From the GeneralSprings website. https://www.generalspringkc.com/blog/supersprings-and-towing-what-you-need-to-know/

โ€œThe SuperSprings unit attaches to the existing leaf springs in such a way that they will not engage unless the leaf spring reaches its load capacity. When the leaf springs stretch to their limit, the SuperSprings activate to accommodate the additional load to balance out the backend and deliver smooth handling performance.โ€

Cool thanks. I'll move the left side from mid to heavy, one step up. I'll see how it goes.

I got my driver's side set to the highest setting now. The truck now sits level unloaded, just a tiny fraction of an inch higher than the other side now. That basically pulled it up 3/4 - 1" higher and levelled it out nicely. Don't know how the camper will sit yet. Hopefully it does the same with the load and levels it out. Will know once all this rain stops.

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
Just did some more research of old threads and did some more measuring etc. It is just around 3/4" difference, sometimes less depending on the surface (the most level I can find. Some people actually raise the passenger side a bit to account for road crown so maybe I am better off just leaving it be for now. I could just be being knit picky too. Ford says anything 1" or under is fine.

Also, realized I noticed this after our first camping getaway with it. We had dumped the grey and black tanks. There was some grey water and black water in it when we bought it as the people were showing that it operates etc. Then we used it as is and there was some weight there. now it is gone. I'm assuming once we add a bit more water somewhere it will even out.

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
I dumped super springs and went to a suspension shop, the shop added a new leaf to each side after bending springs back to factory specโ€™s and my problem was fixed by expert suspension technicians

I drove it around and parked in different areas. sometimes it was even sometimes the same sometimes in between. Finding a perfectly level tarmac might be my problem. Maybe my driveway isnt as level side to side as I think. Even used a really long level. Still shows level lol

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I dumped super springs and went to a suspension shop, the shop added a new leaf to each side after bending springs back to factory specโ€™s and my problem was fixed by expert suspension technicians
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

From the GeneralSprings website. https://www.generalspringkc.com/blog/supersprings-and-towing-what-you-need-to-know/

โ€œThe SuperSprings unit attaches to the existing leaf springs in such a way that they will not engage unless the leaf spring reaches its load capacity. When the leaf springs stretch to their limit, the SuperSprings activate to accommodate the additional load to balance out the backend and deliver smooth handling performance.โ€

Cool thanks. I'll move the left side from mid to heavy, one step up. I'll see how it goes.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
I also have been reading that F250 is notorious for the 1" left lean. Best thing to do is go out and remove the camper and see if the lean is there as well.

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I donโ€™t know how much each adjustment hole changes the force, but my guess is a few hundred lbs. I think Iโ€™d try the next higher setting on the side that is low. There are 4 shackle settings from low to max according to their website.

yeah, that is what I am thinking but will it make it uneven when it is off. So not really doing much but making an uneven truck when not loaded

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t know how much each adjustment hole changes the force, but my guess is a few hundred lbs. I think Iโ€™d try the next higher setting on the side that is low. There are 4 shackle settings from low to max according to their website.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

TCCamperNoob
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing I can shift.