cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

S.E. Pennsylvania to North Myrtle Beach

Looking for input on a possible route change for me.

We have been going to Myrtle Beach for years and have always used 95 to Lumberton. 74 East and so on.....

Wife told me she wanted a change in 2 weeks.. possibly taking Rt1 in DE to 113/13 into VA Beach..

from there, either staying closer to the coast by using 11/111/41/40/140/17... - OR - taking 58 back out to 95 in Emporia VA and 95 s from there....

Anybody have any GOOD insight on these, or any suggestions ....

We will be leaving on a Saturday Morning, probably around 6:00 AM or so..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
15 REPLIES 15

** UPDATE **

Thanks to all who responded, we took 13/113/23 to Cape Charles VA for fuel ( only at 1/2 but wanted a stop for mom in law..

Then took the CBBT into Norfolk, 64/264 to 59 to 11/13.. i have to say the trip was fantasticโ€ฆ.

Took us 12.5 hours from start to finish pulling the camperโ€ฆ we had torrential downpours on and off for about 4 of those hours.. We stopped for 3 bathroom breaks, and 2 fuel stopsโ€ฆ Eastern PA to Myrtle Beach, 600 miles.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Now I just need to figure out my fuel stops... Will look for places large enough to get a 41'/13'5" tall fiver into for diesel...
We have traveled US-113/13/17 from DE to Florida every year for the past 15 years. The roads have improved with many new stretches of 4 lane bypass around congested areas. I-240/US-17 is now complete around Wilmington, NC. Depending on where in Myrtle Beach you are going, SC-31 will help avoid a lot of the stop and go and has several exits to take you back to US-17.

We do try to avoid travelling on the weekends. As mentioned, there are Royal Farms stations before the CBBT that either have truck lanes or diesel on the outside pumps. There is a station (Speedway I think) on US-17 just North of New Bern, NC on the righthand side of the road that has truck lanes. Further South there are Shell and Circle K stations that have easy access for long rigs.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd say stick to your guns on 95 but no way on a weekend. The beach traffic on US 13 to the CBBT will all be east west with the exception of the Outer Banks traffic that will disappear in Chesapeake VA. Your early start time should beat that rush.
The new Royal Farms station with diesel truck lanes is 3 miles north of the CBBT and there is a lobster roll food truck next door on weekends.
We lived on the Eastern Shore for 20 years and the key to 13 is just hang back and take it easy. They have improved the light timing somewhat over the years but it can get frustrating at times.
You are going to have a long day whichever route you choose. The lack of law enforcement since covid has turned 95 into a very dangerous race track with massive accidents every weekend causing very long delays thru NC
If you end up on 95 for part of the trip run Wase for slow down alerts and be aware of where you can jump over to 301 thru NC.
Puma 30RKSS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ford truck guy wrote:
Lantley wrote:
If you really just want to stay off 95. Take 81 south to 64 east.
Avoids beach traffic and Balto.,DC, VA chaos.
Puts you back on 95 in Richmond

thought about that but can't see going 2-1/4 hours west ( that's what it takes for me to get to 81 ) t.o go south and then East again....... We are located north of Philly about 15 minutes off 95 so staying on the East side is just easier

I agree if you are that far from 81,the CBBT route is OK.
But their are lots of lights involved and there will be beach traffic
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dblr wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:

Thank You, that is exactly what I was figuring.... Now I just need to figure out my fuel stops... Will look for places large enough to get a 41'/13'5" tall fiver into for diesel...

I know Royal Farms along 113 and 13 have started to build their newer stations with truck islands so I would keep a eye out for them, below the CBBT I could not tell you what to watch for.

THX..

I saw last night that Royal Farms has a few South on 113/13 with a newer one with truck lanes a few miles before the CBBT...

Thats good, now for the lower portion !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

Thank You, that is exactly what I was figuring.... Now I just need to figure out my fuel stops... Will look for places large enough to get a 41'/13'5" tall fiver into for diesel...

I know Royal Farms along 113 and 13 have started to build their newer stations with truck islands so I would keep a eye out for them, below the CBBT I could not tell you what to watch for.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

wanderingaimlessly wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
13 south to The Ches Bay Bridge Tunnel, Rt 13 to I 64 east to Chesapeake Va and then US 17 south. Scenic Non Interstate highway all the way down to Myrtle beach.
Google directions Chincoteague Va to Myrtle Beach.
directions
either Rt 13 or Rt 17 from Chesapeake to Wilmington can be a nice drive, personally I prefer 17.

So long as you are not going through Va Bch on a weekday rush hour time, it wont be that bad. Certainly better than getting around Philthy and Wilmington De.

Is it large fifth wheel friendly route?

I've driven all of it, but not in one trip with my A.
Rt 13 from the Md line to the CBBT is a standard 4 lane divided highway, the CBBT is I believe 11' wide lanes with a 13'6" overhead clearance. Rt 13 to I-64 is again standard 4 or 6 lane divided highway, can be busy but just stay in the center/right lanes and you will be fine and basically a straight shot, no turns until you enter I 64, which will be via a right cloverleaf.
Rt 17 in Chesapeake is 2 lane for about 16 miles in the Great dismal swamp, (May be all 4 lane now, been 20 years since I drove that part) once you hit NC all 4 lane divided and a nice easy drive. to Wilmington area.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
13 south to The Ches Bay Bridge Tunnel, Rt 13 to I 64 east to Chesapeake Va and then US 17 south. Scenic Non Interstate highway all the way down to Myrtle beach.
directions
either Rt 13 or Rt 17 from Chesapeake to Wilmington can be a nice drive, personally I prefer 17.

So long as you are not going through Va Bch on a weekday rush hour time, it wont be that bad. Certainly better than getting around Philthy and Wilmington De.

I've driven all of it, but not in one trip with my A.
Rt 13 from the Md line to the CBBT is a standard 4 lane divided highway, the CBBT is I believe 11' wide lanes with a 13'6" overhead clearance. Rt 13 to I-64 is again standard 4 or 6 lane divided highway, can be busy but just stay in the center/right lanes and you will be fine and basically a straight shot, no turns until you enter I 64, which will be via a right cloverleaf.
Rt 17 in Chesapeake is 2 lane for about 16 miles in the Great dismal swamp, (May be all 4 lane now, been 20 years since I drove that part) once you hit NC all 4 lane divided and a nice easy drive. to Wilmington area.

Lantley wrote:

thought about that but can't see going 2-1/4 hours west ( that's what it takes for me to get to 81 ) to go south and then East again....... We are located north of Philly about 15 minutes off 95 so staying on the East side is just easier
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

directions

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
directions

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

schlep1967 wrote:
dmck413 wrote:
Lots of traffic around the Va Beach area on the weekend.

Same thing with going down 13/113. You will be dealing with beach traffic all the way through Delaware and Maryland.

YUP.... told her that.. BUT, we all know how wives listen when they have something in their heads ..:B

We travel RT 1 from Wilmington to Dewey Beach 4 times a year and she hates the ride, along with our old days of OC MD when we would do 1/ 13/113 .... She is bent om staying off of 95...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
dmck413 wrote:
Lots of traffic around the Va Beach area on the weekend.

Same thing with going down 13/113. You will be dealing with beach traffic all the way through Delaware and Maryland.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500