cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To buy a generator or not...

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like we will be taking a week long camping trip up to Lake Syskyou near Mt Shasta, CA the second week of August. We looked at the weather forecast and the temps look to be ranging in the 90s to 100s. I guess this place just isn't super high in elevation to keep things cool. So that puts us in an interesting conundrum similar to our failed Yosemite trip a few weeks ago where we returned early. We have to be able to put the babies to bed in the camper but we need to cool the camper off so it isn't sweltering inside. To do it effectively, we probably have to run the generator for about two hours each night (babies go to bed at 7 and it is projected to stay warm until 8 or 9pm).

My sister is in a site that doesn't have any power or water and we initially booked a site right next to her with no power or water either. I then called back in and managed to book a second site that is electric but it is on the other side of the campground and we only get it for four of the seven nights. We were able to get another power site for one additional night which means we have to move. For the last night we would either go to our original no power site (move a second time) and go without power or just head home early (weather dependent). Though it is nice to have power, I think being so far away from family will ultimately make the entire trip much more challenging. So, we are considering options...

1. The camper does have an onboard generator but it sucks propane like crazy and is pretty loud and lot's of vibration. Of course, with the AC running, the noise and vibration isn't that much of an issue. It then becomes more of a question of how long do I want to run it and how much propane will I need to bring. Biggest concern is really the volume outside that could impact other campers (I don't want to be THAT guy...).

2. The second option is to get a nice Yamaha or Honda generator. Pricey but a long term investment. The issue is that realistically, we would hardly ever use it I think. If I could find a used one that might make it a little easier to swallow but then I'm inheriting someone else's issues.

3. Purchase a cheaper Harbor Freight or similar generator. I know they aren't top of the line compared to Honda or Yamaha but for our infrequent needs it might be the way to go.

Thoughts?

Edit: Looking at 14 day forecast, we might get luck with temps in the low to mid 80s during the day. Might wait till we get closer to see if those temps hold.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
85 REPLIES 85

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
at one of those links it said cools 10 degrees. great, will take 105 degrees down to 95.
bumpy

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Swap coolers are very efficient when you are in single digit humidity.
They do something up to 40%, but above they just blow wet air.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
3 tons wrote:
How about a RV Swamp Cooler??

https://www.costway.com/3-in-1-evaporative-portable-air-cooler-fan-with-remote-control.html?piid=9220100&fee=85&fep=15689

3 tons

Hi 3 tons,

I have that very model. It did drop the temperature in my class c. But only by about 1/4 C (35 c down to 34.75 c)

Though it may not be an effective mechanism to drop temps, I would think thereโ€™d still be a beneficial cooling effectโ€ฆ

3 tons

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Now we need some grammar lessons about "brakes" and "breaks" ?
I have about 50 of these I could share.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
3 tons wrote:

https://www.costway.com/3-in-1-evaporative-portable-air-cooler-fan-with-remote-control.html?piid=9220100&fee=85&fep=15689

3 tons

Hi 3 tons,

I have that very model. It did drop the temperature in my class c. But only by about 1/4 C (35 c down to 34.75 c)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Home depot has portable Swamp coolers

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAir-320-CFM-3-Speed-2-In-1-Compact-Design-Portable-Evaporative-Cooler-Swamp-Cooler-and-Tower-Fan-for-100-sq-ft-Black-AF-310/205402060

3 tons

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Reality Check wrote:
adamis wrote:

What would you do?

Fix a drink and think about something else... but that's me. I don't dwell on stuff much.

To be on the helpful side, we wouldn't camp in a 'camp ground' with a bunch of RV's and swelter in the smoke filled air because we can't run AC to keep Mama happy. I'd be 2 miles down the road on a side road parked all together.

I follow your sentiments, but this wasn't my trip I planned. I was invited and it's the only trip we will have this year with family so got to make it work within what they planned.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer

3 tons

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
adamis wrote:

What would you do?

Fix a drink and think about something else... but that's me. I don't dwell on stuff much.

To be on the helpful side, we wouldn't camp in a 'camp ground' with a bunch of RV's and swelter in the smoke filled air because we can't run AC to keep Mama happy. I'd be 2 miles down the road on a side road parked all together.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, you guys sure like to get a topic off track... Bringing it in to focus... So called the campground a few days ago. We managed to get some electric sites for a few of the days but it is away from where family will be. That person said it was okay to run a generator in the non-electric sites (hence why I posted this question). Turns out, that was bad intel... Called today and another person said they don't allow any generators at the campground (something I personally prefer myself though makes this trip a bit more complicated).

On the plus side, the weather forecast seams to be holding well for us. It is a 14 day forecast so it isn't super accurate but if it holds, looks like most days peak temps will be high 70s to mid 80s with lows in the 60s. In short, perfect camping weather.

I'm tempted to just let the electric sites go at the risk of a hot momma if the weather forecast sours on us. We only have those sites for 5 of the 7 nights and one of those nights we would have to move locations. It is also far away from where family is so the entire experience would be constant going back and forth between the two areas.

My backup plan to combat the heat is two fold... Purchase some good fans that we can run to keep things cool for the babies. The second is, know when to call it and head home if it is just too hot. The first option is fine but with about a 6 or 7 hour drive to get there, it is quite the risk of a long drive back the next day if we can't make it work.

In the end though, I am just thinking that being so far away from where the activities and family will be will make the entire camping trip experience not what we are going up there for in the first place. I'd rather risk coming home early (based on current prospects of good weather forecast) then to end up spending my day walking back and forth between spots.

What would you do?

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:

Sounds a bit creepy to me.

Welcome to rv.net forum :B

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:

I check my gramma more carefully on Mercedes forum,

Why is your gramma on the Mercedes forum? Which model Mercedes does she own? And you are you checking up on her when she posts on the Mercedes forum? Sounds a bit creepy to me.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just find a different campground that is either in a cooler climate or has two adjacent electrical sites and ask your sister to move there?
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You two should get together for drinks.
Youโ€™d either be best friends or someoneโ€™s @ss would be kicked by the end of the night.
Iโ€™m betting on the former though!

Cheers guys!!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold