Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Black tank treatments.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Black tank treatments.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually don't add anything to our tanks - if they begin to smell we'll add a dose of Happy Camper, which may be once a year or two. We're full-timers, so our rigs get a lot of use.

We have an Air Head composting toilet in our truck camper, so the truck camper only has grey tanks. We still have conventional black tanks in our fifth wheel (two of them, one for each bathroom). I don't think we've ever had a black tank smell, and grey generally smells worse, despite that most would assume the opposite. I think it's because of the rotting food that collects in the galley tanks.

Anyway, no need to add anything to the tanks unless they have an odor, and if they have an odor, you might want to look at the venting/trap situation instead of trying to neutralize the smell with chemicals.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/21 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Downey Fabric softener and liquid Dawn.

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drop in 2 packets of dishwasher pods. They cut through grease and **** on dishes without making suds and will do the same for the black and gray water tanks. I've never had odors and this seems to break down the turds to slurry.
My brother bought a 5th wheel and said his gray water tank drainage was stinking pretty well and asked what to do. I recommended 2 of the pods and he said that did the trick. It's cheap. It works. All my sensors for fluid levels stay clean and work.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ski Pro 3 wrote:

I drop in 2 packets of dishwasher pods. They cut through grease and **** on dishes without making suds and will do the same for the black and gray water tanks. I've never had odors and this seems to break down the turds to slurry.
My brother bought a 5th wheel and said his gray water tank drainage was stinking pretty well and asked what to do. I recommended 2 of the pods and he said that did the trick. It's cheap. It works. All my sensors for fluid levels stay clean and work.

Thanks, I like this.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Black tank treatments.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.