cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire covers, yea or nay

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Since I am investing in new tires, I was wondering if the vinyl type tire covers help increase the useful life of the tires? My storage is outdoors, completely unprotected from UV and environmental factors. There is a busy interstate highway about a half a mile away.

My 8 y/o OE Goodyear 614's look good even though they haven't been covered but I'm replacing on basis of time, not appearance.
17 REPLIES 17

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
I used them when our trailers were in the storage yard but not when traveling. Camco tire covers I believe they were. Apparently they took the bullet for the tires with sun exposure because they cracked and crumbled after 4 years. Same thing happened with the AC covers, but they were more for keeping mud daubers and paper wasps from setting up residence on the condenser coil and inside the AC housing.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I am in the sun basically 365 and never use a cover and never have had any cracking.

I was too. Face is a bit cracked, but always had a shirt on so my spare tire is fine.

Iโ€™m on the nay side.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Our two 20 year pickups have never seen the inside of a garage and never had cracks.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They look good. they do not improve tire life.
Now if you were to put say a sheet of quarter inch partical board in front of the tire and put the cover over that.. it MIGHT work to improve the tire life

But those covers are fairly transparent to the UV light that damages the tires.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
If parked in sun, then yes use them. If just stopped for night or few hours, no.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Never used the covers when I was actively RV'ng since I parked out of the sun (3-wall carport), so FWIW:

- Lost 3 out of 4 tires on an ATV wagon due to sunchecking / dry rot even in Alaska. It only rolled about 2x per month between May - September and sat for the rest of the time (except for reposition to get out of the way for snowplowing). Lost the tires after about 4 years of that pattern...cheapo ATV type tires, FWIW.
- Several colleagues fly bush planes with high dollar (think $2,XXX per pair) tires on them. They always cover (even in Alaska, and even in the winter) when parked and most will take fabric covers (even though it adds a few pounds) when they fly into the backcountry and plan on the plane being parked for a few days.
- My airplane (with the above high dollar tires) sits in a hangar most of the time, but I take tire covers along when I fly out of town for more than 1 night. My 2-touchdown per landing skills will likely be what dooms my tires, but putting the covers on or off is worth it for whatever protection is provided.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am in the sun basically 365 and never use a cover and never have had any cracking.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
White covers reduce the temperatures the tires experience sitting in the sun, it also reduces the UV exposure. The rubber does last a bit longer if they sit a lot in the sun. Doesn't matter if your moving it every week though.

I see much less weather cracks these days on my various tires I have on cars, trucks and trailers. I have a collection of stuff around the hobby farm. Many times the 4 year old trailer tires just fail suddenly while still looking okay on the outside.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/learn/tire-care-maintenance/dry-rot-tires
-jbh-

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
there is no nay

Couple years ago I saw the coolest tire covers I've ever seen.

They had pieces of plywood that fit in there nicely against the wheels, and on that plywood was painted wheels to look identical to the rims and tires.
I really had to look twice when I saw it. What a great idea!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
spoon059 wrote:
I'm not sure if it helps them last any longer or not. Its far better for the tires to be driven on a more regular basis. It sure won't HURT the tires to cover them.

Agree. But I replaced a set of Michelin after 8 years never covered and still looked practically new. No cracking at all. Me? I wouldnโ€™t bother. Just one more thing to mess with.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan to park a RV for several months where the sun shines, perhaps covers will provide benefit. But a frequently used RV benefits best from keeping the tires clean, and rolling down the road. Using a product like 303 adds a bit of UV protection which is good.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldnโ€™t consider not using covers if parked for more than five days.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad