cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transitioning Class A to Super duty truck and Fifth Wheel

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby and I have narrowed down the 5th Wheels to the Grand Design Reflection 260RD and the Cougar 24 RDS - Looking for opinions, experiences, feedback on both models - We will be towing with a 2500 Ram Hemi - We have found the 32 Coachman Class A too hard to drive and Im scared to drive it so we can trade off - 5th Wheel looks like a good switch - Thanks All look forward to some information
Ted and Kath
2021 Grand Design Reflection 260 RD 150 Series
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies
11 REPLIES 11

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
TXiceman wrote:
From what we saw when we were out shopping with our daughter and son-in-law, I would go with a Grand Design over a Cougar. Seems to be better for and finish on the GD. They wound up going with a Cedar Creek.

Ken

Very Happy with our Cedar Creek.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
From what we saw when we were out shopping with our daughter and son-in-law, I would go with a Grand Design over a Cougar. Seems to be better fit and finish on the GD. They wound up going with a Cedar Creek.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Were it me, I'd go with the Grand Design any day. IMO, their quality is much better.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those are both good choices, with a few differences.
The Cougar has a bigger shower, and a wardrobe slide out.
The GD has a 50 amp service, pre wired for a second AC, and larger fridge.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at both floorplans which are very similar. Only difference I could see was that the Cougar had optional fold out bed/theater seating. The GD also does not have the heating ducts in the floors - really nice as they dont collect dirt. As an owner of a GD product, I've had a great experience with their service - before and after warranty period. Take a look at the GD Owners Forum where you can find more info on the 260RD - and people are generally friendlier.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Cโ€™mon guys. A perfectly legitimate question about two specific trailers. GVW, backing, or the reason for looking have nothing to do with it. Wish I could help.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
An honest assessment would be easier to get without the reference to the MH. It muddied the water.
Good luck with whichever you choose, you have a lot of towing experience so that won't be an issue.
Puma 30RKSS

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Ive driven a 26' trailer behind my F150 for years - before we got the Class A - Im secure with my ability there - The Class A is a Bus!!! and it wobbles and bumps - not an enjoyable ride - my Hubby is getting older and we need to trade off on driving - ****! - this part of the decision we are making is figured out - ALL Im asking for is an honest assessment from owners of the two 5th Wheel trailers we are considering
Ted and Kath
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
If you are scared to drive a 32 foot class A, I don't know how yo will do with a truck and a 5th wheel. How are you at backing? It will be a learning experience.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Herdingdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks JIMNLIN - I have done the research on the truck - Im happy with that choice - My question is a comparison by members on the trailers - Are there things they Hate or Love - or would like to upgrade or fix - Id like an honest review by people that own and use those two models
Ted and Kath
2021 RAM 2500 4x4 Hemi
2 Border Collies

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Generally folks come on the forum and tell us their trucks GVWR/GAWRs/gear ratio/which tranny/5.7 or 6.4 Hemi and the trailers GVWR/trailers CCC.

Some folks like myself don't get a kick out of doing the all the searching and footwork and guessing about your trucks tow and haul capacities any more to give a good answer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides