Explorer
Explorer
17 REPLIES 17

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
whjco wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
The reason I don't click on random links like this one! Best way to get a Virus.

As a retired IT Professional, you're right on target with this advice!! The worst malware or ransomware attacks with which I had to deal were because someone clicked on a link that took their system to an infected or hacker site.

Actually, surprisingly enough, the absolute easiest way to get a virus requires nothing more than hovering your mouse over a popup inline ad..

This type of ad is the ones you will see random keywords with a double blue underline.. Inline ads use JavaScripts (not the same as Java) which are small programs that your browser runs in the background. JavaScripts run with elevated commands which make them extremely risky. These ads are third party ads with no real security..

Got burnt twice on this very RV.net forum on a heavily antivirus defended PC behind a heavy firewall. Hovered the mouse by accident over a double blue underlined keyword in the text and bam, PC was infected.

Complained to mods about it yrs ago, don't know if RV.net banished those since the second time I made all ads on RV.net go away by using FireFox loaded with AdBlockPlus add on.

Now when a website blocks me from viewing it I can now use the newest AdBlockPlus to banish the antiblocking element on the website..

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
The reason I don't click on random links like this one! Best way to get a Virus.

As a retired IT Professional, you're right on target with this advice!! The worst malware or ransomware attacks with which I had to deal were because someone clicked on a link that took their system to an infected or hacker site.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been bit by a virus or two over the years. So has my Daughter. The one that bit me was a 'nothing virus' and all I needed to do was run an alternate boot system (Different OS) to clean it otu.. .The one that bit my daughter was more serious but easier to clear out
The virus that bit her "hid" all the files on the system so she had only a black screen (The wall paper was "hid" as were all the program ICONS.
Her computer "expert" husband worked for over 2 hours to recover one file she needed (master's thesis)

Took me less than 15 minutes to undo the damage the computer did by using a single Arcane DOS command.

Then I had to install an anti-viral to slap it off the drive.

IN her case a simple firewall would have blocked it.

In my case. Well I know the vector (Work) and who installed it there (Sgt).

Fact: I once voiced a question as to if the two (At that time) Big names were perhaps "Seeding the market" by putting malware on the net... I was told one of them was.. (I believe it too) But that Peter Norton would NEVER do such a thing (Well the man I was talking to does know Mr. Norton)
So though I use a free-anti-viral... If you are going to pay.. Norton please
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
How to make a clicky in one easy step. Also I don't blame anyone for being very cautious. Hackers seem to be everywhere in very large numbers.

Hackers are easy to stop,just dont open any email atachments if you dont know who sent it.
I dont even answer calls IF I dont know whos caling,just let it go to voicemail.
Left No msg = SPAM or scam. Get plenty of those daily.

some want to blame Russia for everything

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
How to make a clicky in one easy step. Also I don't blame anyone for being very cautious. Hackers seem to be everywhere in very large numbers.

Some official URL shortcuts include:
  • aka.ms โ†’ microsoft.com, though I believe creating these are restricted to their staff.
  • apple.co โ†’ Apple.com
  • amzn.to โ†’ Amazon.com

Posting long URLs in forum post typically get appended. Would you rather post this:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-13-inch-256GB-Storage/dp/B08N5N6RSS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keyword...

Or this:

https://amzn.to/2Vnfepj

Though posting descriptive text links are preferred:

2020 Apple MacBook Pro

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
1492 wrote:
It's a Google YouTube managed shortcut.

If you say so but YT links look like this: https://www.youtube.com/ not that link above

Youtu.be is just a shortened URL that is also owned by Youtube and visiting either link still gets you to the same Youtube main page.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Try clicking the 'Share' link below any YouTube video and you'll be given the shortcut to copy.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:

If you say so but YT links look like this: https://www.youtube.com/ not that link above
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I do practice good av management,
never click on unknown links do not open any links in email that you did not expect

Hopefully, that means you clicked on the OP's link and you still don't know what it went to.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used various commercial AV software for decades, but finally when MS came out with it's latest version and I saw all the positive reviews I just switched to Defender a couple of years ago and have had zero issues.
I do practice good av management,
never click on unknown links do not open any links in email that you did not expect
never click on a link with the .ru suffix
and just be generally paranoid, do not respond to suspicious messages from your bank as one example, or Microsoft

But I'm happey to save myself $50 or $60/year on AV software. I do have Malwarebytes but not the pay version.
Superbumper

I did not watch the whole video, just skipped to a few sections.

Personally, I don't see an advantage of buying AV software, just use the one built-in Windows and Macs. However, AV software is just one piece of layered security and you should not rely solely on it for protection.

Foremost is keeping your OS, software, and browsers up to date with all the latest security patches.

One aspect I do agree with in the video is not to use the default admin account in Windows when connected to the Net. Instead, create a separate User account that prevents install of apps or changes in system files or permissions. There is a reason enterprise environments do not allow general staff admin accounts to install anything they want. Foremost is security of their networks and individual users.

Another advantage is to hopefully prevent users who fall for social engineering attempts, and allow malware to run. Likely the single biggest security threat, and one of the most effective tools for hackers. Just look at recent ransomware attacks.

Also note that AV software can represent a security threat itself if it ever gets breached. Typically because it requires elevated permissions in your system to run, which can allow a backdoor into your system. If you do the research, you'll find that top rated AV software have been compromised in the past due to vulnerabilities.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
LouLawrence wrote:

Ditto. And I don't follow mystery links either.
Superbumper