cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dingy towing

NC4ME
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Minnie Winnie 33 foot with a V10 I want to tow my jeep wangler 5000LBs from NC to Kentucky the mountain in Ashville is steep will my rig towed this ok or you think over heating will be a problem.
14 REPLIES 14

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
If you know how to select a proper gear for the grade, overheating should not be a problem if you are not exceeding the GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating). I've towed my 4Runner over 12,000 foot passes with my '03 Winnie. Mine is 24' so I have a lot more of the GCVWR that isn't consumed by the motor home gross weight. You need to weigh the motor home and the jeep then do some simple math to see where you are.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
DRTDEVL wrote:
There is no "charge air" in a naturally-aspirated engine.

Aside from that, the advice is solid.

Drtdevl,

You are obviously not a refugee from the engine labs of Detroit.

Change Air is what every IC engine sucks in. It can be atmospheric pressure, it is still charge air.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got a 23u thor chateau, e450 2017. Just got back recently towing a jeep unlimited Rubicon, 300 lbs motorcycle and rack on back. Cargo bay filled. .. Idaho, Wyoming, NV, CA deserts 110+ heat. Jeep has brake system. This trip like many before it,
You'll be fine.??????

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a trip into California's Sierras. Towed my 3,500 lb. Honda CRV up over 7,000'. Several 6 and even 7% grades. Dropped to 43-45 mph on most, let the transmission do its thing, never touched the shift lever. RPMs got to 4,000+ and the cooling fan was noisy. Saw the temp gauge briefly get above halfway, heard the fan increase speed and the temp came right back down to normal. RV is a 2018 28' class C on a Ford E 450 chassis. You won't have any problem.

NC4ME
Explorer
Explorer
My jeep has the RV brake system in it so braking is no problem.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:
Would it be appropriate at this time to mention going DOWN the other side, and the need for an auxiliary brake system in the Jeep?

Thatโ€™s a very good thought. I use my Tow Haul mode all the time, it saves my brakes.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be appropriate at this time to mention going DOWN the other side, and the need for an auxiliary brake system in the Jeep?
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
NC4ME,

This may sound counter intuitive, but if you see the heat rising and are nervous about it, downshift!

OK, what is this hair brained engineer try to do to you?

Get you over the hill is what. By downshifting you lower the demand for BMEP from the engine. (You make the same horsepower spinning the crankshaft faster.) This also means you will be pumping oil and charge air faster, as well as spinning the fan and the water pump faster. All of those are in your favor.

Enjoy the journey.

Matt

There is no "charge air" in a naturally-aspirated engine.

Aside from that, the advice is solid.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
NC4ME,

This may sound counter intuitive, but if you see the heat rising and are nervous about it, downshift!

OK, what is this hair brained engineer try to do to you?

Get you over the hill is what. By downshifting you lower the demand for BMEP from the engine. (You make the same horsepower spinning the crankshaft faster.) This also means you will be pumping oil and charge air faster, as well as spinning the fan and the water pump faster. All of those are in your favor.

Enjoy the journey.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

NC4ME
Explorer
Explorer
I have dingy towed on rather flat roads but never done a mountain one. I know gas milage will be a big gulp, it just the over heating I was worried about. I hope it does ok. Never had a problem with it so far. Thanks all for the help.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford E450 V10 is very capable of towing your Jeep Wrangler, it is a beast. I have the 02 Minnie and your 2018 should even have more capabilities. Personally I never towed, did not need it since my 30 foot unit is small enough. My Minnie is still going strong after all these years, congratulations on your Winnebago.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been over Black Mountain several times towing. You will be fine

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
NC4ME wrote:
I have a 2018 Minnie Winnie 33 foot with a V10 I want to tow my jeep wangler 5000LBs from NC to Kentucky the mountain in Ashville is steep will my rig towed this ok or you think over heating will be a problem.

Should make it. Don't expect to fly over the uphill grades, and make sure your service brakes in both vehicles are in good shape, or the downhill grades will not be enjoyable, either. Also, forget fuel economy, your RPMs to create the power for the uphill stretches, will eat it up pretty quickly. A healthy engine and cooling system should warm up, but not overheat.
Good luck.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Shouldn't be an issue, but what's the tow rating on the moho? Or more specifically, what gears does it have?

The drivetrain will have no issues other than being slow up big grades IF it's geared for towing. Buddy pulls a Wrangler, 24' enclosed or a wakeboat all over with an old V10 class A, 4 speed, 4.88s.
70-75mph down the highway. 7klb boat knocks him down to about 45mph up 4-5% grades, Jeep only slows him down a little.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold