cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2021 Northern Lite 10-2 Le wet bath

Ruby_Edger
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to know if anyone is or has ,stabilize there camper while still being on the truck and being used to camp in ?
Thanks in advance Rene & Kim
17 REPLIES 17

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
zcookiemonstar wrote:
I always put my jacks down. I don't try to level with them just touch the ground to control some of the sway. Sometimes if it is just a quick stop in a parking lot to just get some sleep I just put the rear jacks down. I have power jacks so that does make it easier.

Me too, It makes me feel better to slide the room out when I'm getting coffee or something. I have power jacks the whole ordeal probably takes 1 minute. Yes I drop them to stabilize.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
SoonDockin wrote:
Its probably more of an issue on single rear wheel trucks. The few I have been in on duallys are typically pretty stable as is. Mine sure is.

X2

3 tons

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a Northern Lite, but I never need to stabilize it. There is a little bit of movement but not enough to concern us.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
I always put my jacks down. I don't try to level with them just touch the ground to control some of the sway. Sometimes if it is just a quick stop in a parking lot to just get some sleep I just put the rear jacks down. I have power jacks so that does make it easier.

Not most of the time. On trips where we don't unload (single nights) I usually just dump the suspension and use leveling blocks on the front only to force a twist for side to side. The rear is then sitting on the rails..and that's pretty solid.

Close works for us, as long as my head is not downhill while sleeping.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We haul a late model NL 8-11 on a 1-ton SRW with lower torklifts and rear sway-bar. After 40k and 3 years, we've never felt the need to drop the jacks. Sometimes we do get some very slight rocking in very high winds (>25 mph), but nothing disconcerting enough to warrant using the jacks. As for stability on the road, several times we've encountered 25-30 mph side winds (45-50 gusts) while driving at 60-65mph. Very stable---no wandering or on-going sway, just controlled push/pulls with each gust.

Hopefully the OP is hauling their NL 10-2 with a DRW. The 10-2 is about 600-700 lbs. heavier than an 8-11. The 10-2 is a lot of camper for an SRW and is not going to experience the same stability we've had with our 8-11.

Bedlam
When I had my F250, I would lower the rear camper jacks or lower the trailer jack just enough to slightly unload the suspension. This was enough to noticeably reduce the movement while inside the camper. With the heavier suspension of my current 5500, I do not lower any of the jacks for stability.

With heavy sustained winds or gusts, I try to nose into the wind. This reduces camper rocking and fumes from LPG appliances being blown inside. It also keeps rain moving along the seal overlap rater trying to push under or through seams.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Hardscrabble
Explorer
Explorer
With our 8-11 on our SRW (with modified suspension) we do not lower the jack legs unless it is very windy. There is a little movement without them down but not a big deal. Before the mods we were camped in a remote spot that was rocking us so much that we put them down for the night - it was intense, probably gusts to 60 plus.... man.

Good luck!
2019 Northern Lite EXSE, wet bath, 2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW Duramax w/ Bilstein 4600s, Torklift Stableloads/Fastguns, Timbren Severe Duty Bump Stops, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, WeBoost drive reach rv cell booster.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its probably more of an issue on single rear wheel trucks. The few I have been in on duallys are typically pretty stable as is. Mine sure is.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I put my rears down, and I use my drill to lower,10x faster than remote.

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
I only drop the jacks for minor leveling....If I need to go more that an inch or two I loosen my HJ tiedowns.
I also une my airbags to assist leveling.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
as long as you dont have hydraulic jacks you can put your jacks down, but I dont find the need to. with the weight of the camper on the overload on the truck I find it sits pretty stable on its own.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I drop my rear jacks to help with the side to side movement and to help level the camper to ease the stress on the slideout operation.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
For me it depends on the truck and camper combo.

Years ago, I used to always drop my jack stands when camping. Then I got a new camper and did not do it very often. Then I got a new truck and switched to frame mount tie downs, the front ones are in the way of the front jack stands.

While I could still drop the rear jack stands but have yet to find the need to. So the camper moves a bit while moving around inside of it? I guess I've gotten used to it and it does not bother me anymore. ๐Ÿ™‚

- Mark0.