cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weigh safe trailer ball with built in scale. Any comments?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Hi folks. We are planning on buying a little tear drop trailer and pulling with a medium sized SUV. Talking to others with the combo we are looking at, the trailer when loaded is about at 90 percent of the allowable tongue weight of the SUV. We are considering this product to help us keep an eye on the tongue weight. Wondering if anyone has experience with this product.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball/Weigh-Safe/WSUN-1.html
13 REPLIES 13

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
We decided to go with the 1000 lb scale Sherline. Thanks for all the unit folks.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Reisender wrote:

Well thatโ€™s kinda interesting. Hmmm. Starting to waiver towards the sherline.

I'd waiver towards a vehicle I didn't need to re-weigh after adding each bag of chips and can of beenie weenies...

Well, once we figure out weโ€™ll be be okay. Things wonโ€™t change much from trip to trip. We donโ€™t want to buy a dedicated tow vehicle so our one and only vehicle has to be all encompassing. Weโ€™ll only be towing four or five thousand kilometres a year. We actually got a chance to drive an identical combo and itโ€™s a good fit for what we need it to do and where we need it to go.

Cheers

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reisender wrote:

I'd waiver towards a vehicle I didn't need to re-weigh after adding each bag of chips and can of beenie weenies...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
Then get a Sherline tongue scale. Put the tongue on it and load away. When done just hitch up like normal.

This^^^^^^
I rather spend less money for a scale that has a variety of uses and for other trailers, than a very limited item like this.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
delwhjr wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Hi folks. We are planning on buying a little tear drop trailer and pulling with a medium sized SUV. Talking to others with the combo we are looking at, the trailer when loaded is about at 90 percent of the allowable tongue weight of the SUV. We are considering this product to help us keep an eye on the tongue weight. Wondering if anyone has experience with this product.

Thanks in advance.

I tried the Weigh safe against the Sherline. The Weigh Safe never returned the same reading on each try. The Sherline was right on the money every time.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I tried the Weigh safe against the Sherline. The Weigh Safe never returned the same reading on each try. The Sherline was right on the money every time.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
Reisender wrote:
rlw999 wrote:
To be honest, I'd be more concerned about balance than raw weight. I'd rather be 10% over tongue weight than to have weight balanced too far to the rear of the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mW_gzdh6to

Yah for sure. We have towed lots in life and prefer a slightly heavy hitch. But the trailer has some storage on the front and I think it would be nice to see a dynamic weight as it is easy to get carried away. Previous poster had a point though. Figure it out and then stay with the formula. Either way though Iโ€™m willing to spend the money on a scale to get it right. I hate doing the bathroom scale cantilever thing. Works but itโ€™s a pita.

I have not looked at the Cat for about a decade, maybe the price has gone up a lot. But the only time I spent near $100 on one was getting all 8 axles under a GCVW of about 130,000 legal. If you can't find a 3rd grader to do the arithmetic, I'm sure you have a calculator.
Load everybody and everything you plan to take camping, go to scale. Remember if you tell them "re-weigh" you get a discount on all but first pass)
Pass (A) TV and trailer both loaded and hooked up.
this will give 4 numbers Steering, Drive, Trailer, and Gross
If all are within ratings, carry on. If not, do you want to leave something home, or run over?
Pass (B) just TV with what you carry in it
this will only be 3 numbers, the trailer will be 0
Add S and D from pass (A) (Or subtract T from G on pass (A)) From that number, subtract G from pass (B) Now you have TW. Is that over for what TV can handle?
Subtract G pass (B) from G pass (A) you have loaded trailer weight. Is the percentage in the range you want?

Thanks for the info. We are in British Columbia so the weigh scales are open to the public after hours. Iโ€™m sure weโ€™ll be using them to check out the various axle weights.

Cheers.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
rlw999 wrote:
To be honest, I'd be more concerned about balance than raw weight. I'd rather be 10% over tongue weight than to have weight balanced too far to the rear of the trailer.

Yah for sure. We have towed lots in life and prefer a slightly heavy hitch. But the trailer has some storage on the front and I think it would be nice to see a dynamic weight as it is easy to get carried away. Previous poster had a point though. Figure it out and then stay with the formula. Either way though Iโ€™m willing to spend the money on a scale to get it right. I hate doing the bathroom scale cantilever thing. Works but itโ€™s a pita.

I have not looked at the Cat for about a decade, maybe the price has gone up a lot. But the only time I spent near $100 on one was getting all 8 axles under a GCVW of about 130,000 legal. If you can't find a 3rd grader to do the arithmetic, I'm sure you have a calculator.
Load everybody and everything you plan to take camping, go to scale. Remember if you tell them "re-weigh" you get a discount on all but first pass)
Pass (A) TV and trailer both loaded and hooked up.
this will give 4 numbers Steering, Drive, Trailer, and Gross
If all are within ratings, carry on. If not, do you want to leave something home, or run over?
Pass (B) just TV with what you carry in it
this will only be 3 numbers, the trailer will be 0
Add S and D from pass (A) (Or subtract T from G on pass (A)) From that number, subtract G from pass (B) Now you have TW. Is that over for what TV can handle?
Subtract G pass (B) from G pass (A) you have loaded trailer weight. Is the percentage in the range you want?

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
QCMan wrote:
Then get a Sherline tongue scale. Put the tongue on it and load away. When done just hitch up like normal.

Iโ€™ll check it out. Thanks.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rlw999 wrote:

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
No experience with that, but some thoughts; How will it weigh without the chance of movement top to bottom? So you can't tow with it in place.
It would work to weigh but I would thing a scale that you could set on top of/under a jack would work as well.
Load and weigh, adjust until you get it right. Once you know where to put things you don't need to weigh that often