cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv locks install

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
The door on our Minnie was hard to close and we could not get the keys to work the lock without a lot of fiddling. There was a nice sale at rvlocks.com so I ordered a digital code replacement. It was relatively easy to install but I had to cut out some of the door to line it up with the metal cutouts on the side of the door.

I used a multi tool to trim the excess

The lock has wires that snap together on each side. Then it is screwed on similar to the existing lock.

The lock did leave a gap on the outside top edge in the corner.

So I caulked it with almond window and door sealant. The decal edge is a little rough where I washed off excess caulk.

I had to adjust the strike plate slightly for the new lock but the catches on the new lock are slightly smaller so they lock into the strike plate with less force. I reset the code and programmed the one included remote. I didnโ€™t quite understand the two sets of buttons on the remote though. At first I thought one for each key insert but I think more likely it is for a second lock if you have one. I think we will enjoy the new lock and how easy it will be to leave without having to carry keys.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
10 REPLIES 10

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I think you meant rvlock.com.

Thanks for sharing! I am about to add one of these myself and appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
I installed one earlier this week.

Took 5 minutes. Excellent mod to the trailer.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
Good idea. I wondered how to use the fob. Does anyone know why it has two button sets to program?

I looked at the box. You can install multiple RVLocks on your rig (for those with more than one door) so you can program one fob for both locks, or program them to be the same (which I'm not sure you would want to have all locks unlock or lock at the same time, but it's possible per the box).
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice writeup.
I keep saying I need to put one in ours.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. I wondered how to use the fob. Does anyone know why it has two button sets to program?
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've got one too and love it. We use the fob too which comes in handy if stopping to use the rest room and I can (or hubby can) unlock from within the cab of our truck so we can just open it (helps if you are in a hurry!)
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have used my lock like that full-time for 6 years now. Only issue is the touch pad may get a crack from use but the replacement is easy and not expensive.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
We installed ours a month ago. Probably because my coach is a 2021, it was a perfect fit. Might have taken 5 minutes.

I helped my son-in-law install his a few months ago in his 2011 trailer and it involved some cutting as you experienced.

We love the new lock, the remote fob is quite handy.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1

Y-Guy
Great write up, thanks for sharing!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Nice upgrade!:C I didnโ€™t know something like that was available. Our latch is very sticky. We canโ€™t push or pull the door shut without operating the handle. Iโ€™ve lubed it numerous times and it only works proper for a short while.