cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New 4" heavy duty bumper cannot fit Rhino drain hose inside

Hartos
Explorer
Explorer
We recently had a new 4" heavy duty bumper fabricated and welded to the frame by a local RV dealer. The thicker steel has caused our Rhino drain hose to not fit inside due to having slightly smaller inside dimensions than the standard bumper. I saw a few videos on YouTube where some recommended using a Dremel to slowly grind down the high spots on the Rhino fittings until it fits which seems like a sewage spill waiting to happen someday with thinner hose fittings. Is that the only way or are there hoses out there designed to fit a smaller inside bumper dimension?

I should also note, i am hoping to avoid a separate PVC pipe attached to the bumper, i see some RV's with that also which may be partially due to this same issue, not sure.

Thanks!
24 REPLIES 24

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
If one buys a corner fence post, it will have openings on two sides---place one opening facing front and the other opening downwards. Drainage and circulation! I've made 4 of these and all worked well-50,000 miles well. They all contain 2 long sections, the screw in dump thingy, the elbow, and heavy rubber gloves.
I mounted all on top of the metal sewer hose holder with whatever was available for spacers to keep the plastic off the metal.
One end has a cap screwed on, and the other end (in my cheap thinking)has the cap held on by two pieces of coat hanger stuck through holes in the cap and sewer pipe. Never had a problem.
Even might match the color of your trailer in some cases.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm not impressed with those types of containers. I've seen a few where all that was left was part of the plastic mounting pieces. It's easy to DIY, save money, and have a better container to boot.

The first thing to go on the one I have is the latch , and hinge on those round plastic containers. they are very cheaply made . I have babied it along, its has the door on both ends ,the one end broke on the hinge right off the bat, so just sealed it permentatly, and so far the other end is holding up, I carry two sewer hoses, and keep the spare in that one in case I need a longer hose, then I attach the two. The one I use all the time is in my DIY container made from a 5" PVC post, it won't break .

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not impressed with those types of containers. I've seen a few where all that was left was part of the plastic mounting pieces. It's easy to DIY, save money, and have a better container to boot.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't want the hassle of fabricating your own holder, Etrailer.com has plenty of options.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
Hartos wrote:
The fence post idea is interesting. I was just out looking at the RV thinking about where best to mount a PVC tube and I wondered if underneath would make more sense than on the bumper.

A tub may work also, i need to figure out with my current tubs in the storage compartment what could fit. I have used my Tetris skills from my youth to figure out an optimum storage bin setup for both storage compartments... ๐Ÿ™‚

5" PVC posts with end caps work very well, and bolted to the frame. PM sent.
Yep, 5" post sleeve is what we use, with a section of plastic gutter inside to slide out. Works a treat.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
nice work!

Did you do anything to vent the tube?

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Hartos wrote:
The fence post idea is interesting. I was just out looking at the RV thinking about where best to mount a PVC tube and I wondered if underneath would make more sense than on the bumper.

A tub may work also, i need to figure out with my current tubs in the storage compartment what could fit. I have used my Tetris skills from my youth to figure out an optimum storage bin setup for both storage compartments... ๐Ÿ™‚

Well I went with the 5" fence post and caps, everything goes in the post, two hose lengths, 45 degree elbow, and 90 degree drain connection. I can't think of putting that stinky stuff in a tote in the basement or storage compartment.

Nice job , mine was not quite that fancy , I just ran a small bolt thru the cap ,and post ,and drilled a small hole in the end of the bolt for a clip to hold it .

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Hartos wrote:

Well I went with the 5" fence post and caps, everything goes in the post, two hose lengths, 45 degree elbow, and 90 degree drain connection. I can't think of putting that stinky stuff in a tote in the basement or storage compartment.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I find it best to just leave the hose connected and tie it up under the camper in a few spots. Bonus points if you leave one o the dump valves cracked open just enough to see the car behind you use his windshield wipers occasionallyโ€ฆ..
This reminds meโ€ฆ.just do it like my buddy Cousin Eddy last week!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, the dealer installed a bumper that would not fit the hose? Even if you rotate the hose end? Fence post will work, over or under the bumper. Or a pvc tube on the tounge, not sure what type of camper you have.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the judicial grinding on the portion of the fittings that wouldn't fit.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Lowes, Home Depot Et-Al and get a 6 or 7" square plastic fence post with caps. also a hinge and a bolt latch.
Now attach the post to the top of the bumper.. I won't go into how to do this but if you use bolts use carrage bolts (Smooth domed head with a square shoulder) from inside (no sharp surfaces inside post)
One end glue the cap on
other end you will need to slightly modify the cap and end so you have a "Tongue" that sticks through a Slot in the bottom of the cap. Hinges on the top.
Hose goes inside, ends fit too.
Close the "lid" and drop the latch bolt through a hole in the "Tongue" of the post gravity will hold the bolt in the hole and anyone who steels the hose.. Well... Would you steel THAT item?

Or you could padlock it but I think that's over kill

Amazon dot com example of the bolt latch you use only the big part.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Hartos wrote:

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's wrong with one of these?

https://www.campingworld.com/adjustable-ez-hose-carrier-630077.html?dwvar_630077_color=whit#start=2&sz=12&cgid=maintain-your-rv%2Fsewer%2Fsewer-connection%2Fsewer-hose-supports-carriers

Mine came with one mounted under, not far from the cleanout, holds 2 lengths of hose. Works great - not even expensive.